• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Teetime

Teetime

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:39 PM

I understand the JV lost on a last second TD by Montini.

Anyone who was there wish to provide a game recap?

#2 ghs1985fb

ghs1985fb

Forum Member

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Teetime @ Aug 26 2007, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand the JV lost on a last second TD by Montini.

Anyone who was there wish to provide a game recap?

I got there in 2nd quarter. SHG was up 12-7. I understand that they may have had a kick off or punt return and a fumble recovery on defense for a touchdown but not sure. Anyway in the 2nd quarter SHG offense was moving the ball and SHG defense was swarming. Montini had a 6' 5" quarterback but they were not throwing effectively at all.

In the 2nd half it was a totally different story. The SHG offense was not moving the ball at all. Montini started throwing and moving the ball effectively. Montini moved the ball down to SHG 10 and on 4th down threw to the endzone. The SHG defender made a great hit on the receiver just as the ball was coming and although I thought his timing was perfect, the ref called pass interference in the end zone. So it was first and goal from like the 1. Montini passed on first down and SHG intercepted it and ran it back for a touchdown. They missed the 2point conversion and went up 18-7. This was the beginning of the 4th quarter.

On the next series, Montini drove and quickly scored. They made the 2 point conversion and now it was 18-15.  With about 4 minutes left SHG had a great punt which made Montini start their final drive on about their own 8 yard line. They came out passing and moved the ball to the SHG 15 with about 6 seconds left. They threw a pass in the endzone but the receiver dropped it. I think he would have been out of bounds anyway. Then with 2 seconds left the Montini QB made a perfect pass over the middle to the WR who was slanting and the kid caught it. I dont think SHG could have done anything different on that play.

A couple of thoughts. The defensive line seemed tired in the 2nd half. We have some big boys but they were not getting the surge like they were in the first half. Furthermore, I dont recall seeing too many blitzes. Although all of the touchdowns were on defensive scores, the offense look good. A few mistakes here and there but I see potential. The QB had a good arm but was a little inconsistent. I expect those types of mistakes to go away with more experience. I really liked the size of some of our lineman and see them contributing to the varsity next year. The only thing that surprised me was that Montini seemed to be in better shape than we were. But the astroturf field was pretty hot and could have contributed to the fatigue.

#3 cyclones2793

cyclones2793

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:41 PM

it was a tough loss, i think the play Montini ran to win the game was the same play that glenwood used to beat them last year as well

#4 football79

football79

Silver Member

• PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:20 PM

When do the Soph. play J,ille ?   Time and place ?

#5 cyclones2793

cyclones2793

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:22 PM

sophs play jville this monday- 4:30? at SHG's West Campus

#6 football79

football79

Silver Member

• PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:49 PM

Thanks 2793

#7 cyclones2793

cyclones2793

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:33 PM

any time

#8 Teetime

Teetime

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:16 PM

Was there a JV game on Monday the 3rd against Jacksonville?

If so, how did it go?

#9 cyclones2793

cyclones2793

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:47 PM

yes, we won 42-0 and got everybody into the game at some point. There were some bone crushing hits by our Cyclones sending 1 kid to the emergency during the 4th quarter with a possible broken neck, also 2 Jville kids were sent to the hospital after the game to check on injuries...OUCH!

#10 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (cyclones2793 @ Sep 4 2007, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes, we won 42-0 and got everybody into the game at some point. There were some bone crushing hits by our Cyclones sending 1 kid to the emergency during the 4th quarter with a possible broken neck, also 2 Jville kids were sent to the hospital after the game to check on injuries...OUCH!

Sorry, cyclones2793, and maybe I am reading this wrong . . . but I can't be happy about ANY kid getting seriously hurt.  I did while wearing the Black and Gold, and know too many others who have, as well as work day after day in medical settings . . . and it is hell.

I have had the pleasure of a very involved history with the Cycolne program - I LOVE the big win, the shutout, the dominance - I can't be happy about the fact any kids got hurt.

Edited by HasBeen, 04 September 2007 - 09:15 PM.

#11 SlapMasterJ

SlapMasterJ

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:41 PM

Hasbeen, I was going to write the same thing, but I let it go. The kid that went to the hospital is fine, but tell that to his mother when she gets the phone call that her son is in the back of an ambulance. All the hits were clean, and I have no problem with big hits and aggressive play. The injuries I can do without.

#12 cyclones2793

cyclones2793

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:31 PM

In no way am i happy about the kids being seriously injured, you either read it wrong or I was careless when writing this, apologies if you thought that I was happy or bragging about their injuries

#13 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:39 PM

Just be glad the boy's OK.  

In its third season of football in 1936, a Cathedral defender (remember, everyone went both ways in those days) broke his neck while tackling a Carlinville runner.  He died a day or so later.  Other schools (e.g. Edinburgh) gave up football due to events like this, but the Cyclones persevered.  Its a blessing to the program that its never happened again.
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#14 football79

football79

Silver Member

• PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:49 PM

cyclones2793, I'm glad you straightened that out, because I sorta was wondering myself. So like SlapMaster I was just going to let it go. The main thing is he is ok, as for playing the rest of the season I am not sure what his status is. SlapMaster might know that answer. And remember a bunch
of Sophs that start on varsity were not playing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users