• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cycsfan2

cycsfan2

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

Chicago Mount Carmel, Wheaton South, and Metamora are all 0-2. Mount Carmel hasn't started off 0-2 since 1975. Also JCA is 1-1, and I have seen mention that either Nazereth Academy or Chicago Marist are the favorites in that conference, and St.Patrick's is good this year too. I just saw a replay of East St.Louis's game with a Memphis, Tn team, and they appear to be down as well. They don't appear to have the usual physical specimen that they sometimes have. Could be a strange year with some new teams around come quarterfinal and semi-final time.

#2 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

View Postcycsfan2, on 03 September 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

Chicago Mount Carmel, Wheaton South, and Metamora are all 0-2. Mount Carmel hasn't started off 0-2 since 1975. Also JCA is 1-1, and I have seen mention that either Nazereth Academy or Chicago Marist are the favorites in that conference, and St.Patrick's is good this year too. I just saw a replay of East St.Louis's game with a Memphis, Tn team, and they appear to be down as well. They don't appear to have the usual physical specimen that they sometimes have. Could be a strange year with some new teams around come quarterfinal and semi-final time.

Cycsfan2, Chicago Mt Carmel is 2-0. I think you might have them mixed up with the Mt Carmel from Southern Illinois. I agree that it is somewhat of a strange year though. WWS and Matamora rarely start off 0-2. I also noticed that Decatur St Teresa is 0-2.

#3 GHSGRAD77

GHSGRAD77

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

View PostOSUBucks, on 03 September 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

View Postcycsfan2, on 03 September 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

Cycsfan2, Chicago Mt Carmel is 2-0. I think you might have them mixed up with the Mt Carmel from Southern Illinois. I agree that it is somewhat of a strange year though. WWS and Matamora rarely start off 0-2. I also noticed that Decatur St Teresa is 0-2.

St. T's coach went to Mt.Zion 2 years ago and that seems to have had a negative impact on them. He was at St.T for a long time.

#4 cycsfan2

cycsfan2

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

I just saw my erroneous post, my appologies. I have seen mention of some programs which are traditionally good year in and year out which are somewhat down this year. It happens every so often. Some may not remember, (or choose not to) but 1998 and also "99 for the Cycs were trying years.

#5 cycsfan2

cycsfan2

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

I just saw my erroneous post, my appologies. I have seen mention of some programs which are traditionally good year in and year out which are somewhat down this year. It happens every so often. Some may not remember, (or choose not to) but 1998 and also "99 for the Cycs were trying years.

#6 captain'00

captain'00

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

View Postcycsfan2, on 06 September 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

It was the class of '99, but the season of '98 that we went 2-7. Clas of 2000, season of '99, was 5-4. I guess you could say that both were trying seasons.

#7 gusdog

gusdog

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

View Postcaptain, on 06 September 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

View Postcycsfan2, on 06 September 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

It was the class of '99, but the season of '98 that we went 2-7. Clas of 2000, season of '99, was 5-4. I guess you could say that both were trying seasons.

One of my nephews was on that 2-7 team.  I remember it well.  They were huge - one of the bigger teams I can recall, but oh my, they were sloooowwwww.....  Good kids though - as always!

#8 cycsfan2

cycsfan2

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:46 AM

Yep, I remember. I believe very early in the first game of the season, against Richwoods I think, our running back got hurt and was out for the season. In "99 we started off slow but by the end of the season were playing well. iN 2000 it was an aerial circus with Sellinger and Allotey, and Matt Brewer. With sophmore Kenny Burns at rb.

#9 cycsfan2

cycsfan2

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:46 AM

Yep, I remember. I believe very early in the first game of the season, against Richwoods I think, our running back got hurt and was out for the season. In "99 we started off slow but by the end of the season were playing well. iN 2000 it was an aerial circus with Sellinger and Allotey, and Matt Brewer. With sophmore Kenny Burns at rb.

#10 captain'00

captain'00

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

The Richwoods game of '98 was when starting RB Ricky Davis went down.  That game was actually close, but we (and i say "we" as I was a junior) had a roughing the kicker penalty late that allowed Richwoods to run the clock out.

The unfortunate part about that season (other than the 2-7 finish), was that the sophomores (Selinger, Holland, Allotey, Leonard, etc) did not get much field time.  That's the reason for the slow start in '99.  On a team with only 10 seniors, we were heavily reliant on their talent, but it took a few games for them to shake the jitters and get in a groove.  Understandably so.  All of that experience paid off though, b/c in '00, they started the decade of dominance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users