#1 linedrive7

linedrive7

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (CS8Alum @ Sep 3 2009, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love high school football.  Let me just get that out there.  I try to pick a "game of the week" every week and check out the best area teams.  I include underclass games on Sat mornings and Mon nights as often as possible.  That being said, the best-kept secret in Central Illinois is the Glenwood-SHG freshman game.  I have seen that one 4 years in a row now.  Those 4 years include an OT SHG win at Glenwood, a 3 touchdowns in the 4th qtr comeback by Glenwood at SHG to win 3 years ago, and two fairly close Glenwood wins the last two years.  The level of play isn't as high as Friday night, but the passion is there.  
I've already got this one marked on the calendar, especially after hearing that SHG has a big freshman class.  The Glenwood frosh line is the biggest I have seen out there ever.  They have 5 or 6 kids that have the frames to end up in the 6foot+, 280-300lb. range.  I expect a lot of them to show up in varsity games next year.  For all of you fans who just love the game of football, check out some frosh games this year.  It's always fun to know what is coming.

The freshman game is this Saturday (9/19) at 10 a.m. in Chatham.  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif

#2 linedrive7

linedrive7

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:32 PM

Anyone know where in Chatham the freshman game is being played?  Do they play on the main school field or is there a second/practice field for freshman games?

#3 Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (linedrive7 @ Sep 15 2009, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone know where in Chatham the freshman game is being played?  Do they play on the main school field or is there a second/practice field for freshman games?

They play on the practice field just north of the school...right behind the gyms.  Same parking lot.

#4 linedrive7

linedrive7

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (Thunderstruck @ Sep 15 2009, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (linedrive7 @ Sep 15 2009, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They play on the practice field just north of the school...right behind the gyms.  Same parking lot.

Are there any bleachers on that field or scoreboard?  Or, is it like Lanphier freshman and JV field last week at 13th and Division Street?  Just checking to see if we need to bring chairs.

#5 CS8Alum

CS8Alum

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:38 AM

There are small sets of bleachers on either side, but they will fill quickly and don't offer a great view of anything.  I would recommend chairs.

#6 Newbie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

I apologize for the off-subject question, but I don't know where else to pose it:  Has any of the Chatham football players ever went on playing college football?

Edited by Newbie, 18 September 2009 - 11:22 AM.

#7 TheRingoKid

TheRingoKid

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order of importance: Cyclone football, Irish football, Cyclone basketball, SHG non-athletic activities, movies, sci fi television.

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Newbie @ Sep 18 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I apologize for the off-subject question, but I don't know where else to pose it:  Has any of the Chatham football players ever went on playing college football?

The ones who come immediately to mind are Jake Rourke at ISU and Hilby at Augustana.

#8 CS8Alum

CS8Alum

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:01 PM

Just got back from the freshman game.  A hard fought and physical contest finished as a 20-13 Glenwood win.  I was impressed with the physical play by both teams.  The SHG qb can really run.  He probably had 100 yards rushing.  For Glenwood, the story was a kid who grew up playing with the SHG kids and went to Little Flower.  Remember the name Donovyn Hammonds.  This kid has the tools to be the best back to ever play at Glenwood.  He took over the second half.  The parents on the Glenwood sidelines didn't know how to handle having a great player show up at Glenwood instead of leaving Chatham to play for SHG.  Question of the day is how long until Rourke starts to feel the heat of 4 consecutive classes beating SHG as freshmen only to get slaughtered by them at the varsity level?

#9 GHSGRAD77

GHSGRAD77

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:54 PM

Ken Boyle played at Illinois.

#10 TheRingoKid

TheRingoKid

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order of importance: Cyclone football, Irish football, Cyclone basketball, SHG non-athletic activities, movies, sci fi television.

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (GHSGRAD77 @ Sep 19 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ken Boyle played at Illinois.

Right! I was reminded of that on the way to the game last night. Jim Ruppert mentioned him.

Edited by TheRingoKid, 19 September 2009 - 03:25 PM.

#11 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (CS8Alum @ Sep 19 2009, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question of the day is how long until Rourke starts to feel the heat of 4 consecutive classes beating SHG as freshmen only to get slaughtered by them at the varsity level?

Its an apples-and-oranges thing.  Not to take anything from the youngsters on both teams - I'm sure to them it was the biggest game of their young lives.  Still, the stated philosophy at SH-G is that freshman and JV scores are of little or no importance as long as the players are learning the SHG system and way.

You have to remember that a freshman coming into SH-G has not been raised in the high school system, as have those kids who came up through JFL programs in single-high-school towns  like Chatham and Taylorville - and Rochester.  Frankly I'm surprised by Lincoln's continuing poor program for exactly that reason.  It says to me that the HS coaches are not doing enough to help the JFL coaches and to inculcate the preferred HS system ay middle school (or even earlier) levels.  If Ken Leonard or Mike Taylor were to send their assistants out to help the JFL coaches and players, it'd be interpreted as recruiting.  Id Rourke or Odam do it, its simple public spirit.
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#12 Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:37 PM

Yes...which makes it interesting that 7th & 8th grade football are now "school sponsored" in chatham, with 6th grade to be included next year.  Looks like someone is trying to find a scapegoat for why HS isn't winning...by going after jr football.  Sorry...its not. Go look at records of JFL/CCFL programs in chatham (as non-school programs) always 1st or 2nd...and dominant.  Sorry, but its not for lack of talent or skill at chatham. Taking nothing from the shg boys...but think ghs had more pure athletes on the field last night...but, shg fielded the best "TEAM"...and got the most from EVERY player. It comes from hard work, dedication & well-meaning coaching....it's earned.  shg is good this year...because of this, not because they have a big line.  That's another excuse someone used for sj-r fodder to push blame.  Instead, its great when good coaching, by people with good morals is successful!  gocycs.gif

#13 Analyst

Analyst

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:18 PM

Right on the the mark, Thunderstruck. Maybe someone should tell the IHSA (or would that upset their distorsion of reality?)

#14 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (CS8Alum @ Sep 19 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just got back from the freshman game.  A hard fought and physical contest finished as a 20-13 Glenwood win.  I was impressed with the physical play by both teams.  The SHG qb can really run.  He probably had 100 yards rushing.  For Glenwood, the story was a kid who grew up playing with the SHG kids and went to Little Flower.  Remember the name Donovyn Hammonds.  This kid has the tools to be the best back to ever play at Glenwood.  He took over the second half.  The parents on the Glenwood sidelines didn't know how to handle having a great player show up at Glenwood instead of leaving Chatham to play for SHG.  Question of the day is how long until Rourke starts to feel the heat of 4 consecutive classes beating SHG as freshmen only to get slaughtered by them at the varsity level?

All.... Well it's good to hear about this young lad being a freshman. If my Griffin math is correct that would give he and his parents three year's to change their minds..... Ratsy

#15 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (cornerrat @ Sep 20 2009, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (CS8Alum @ Sep 19 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All.... Well it's good to hear about this young lad being a freshman. If my Griffin math is correct that would give he and his parents three year's to change their minds..... Ratsy

I have no problems with a family deciding that the SH-G tuition and fees are beyond their realistic reach, or to send the kid to a good public academic HS like Glenwood.  We can't know details of his family, such as income and other kids and whether they're already subsidizing another sib's college education.  That said, if the kid really is that good, I hope they're still sanguine about their decision three years from now when his particular group of Titans proves just another speed bump for SH-G (and maybe SHS and RHS) on their way to the playoffs.

Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#16 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

Saw the game as well.  Our guys actually had a one touchdown lead and were pounding it in late in the 3rd when a botched handoff turned the game around.  Before we could rebound, CG frosh RB broke a long one.  Another fumble after a critical 1st down and that sealed the deal.

A little fine tuning and a few adjustments in the classroom and this SHG bunch will be championship caliber. CG has a solid, well-executed running game and made few mistakes.  They earned the win.  Overall, this Cyclone group will be deeper, stronger and more balanced as they mature.

#17 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (cyclops @ Sep 21 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saw the game as well.  Our guys actually had a one touchdown lead and were pounding it in late in the 3rd when a botched handoff turned the game around.  Before we could rebound, CG frosh RB broke a long one.  Another fumble after a critical 1st down and that sealed the deal.

A little fine tuning and a few adjustments in the classroom and this SHG bunch will be championship caliber. CG has a solid, well-executed running game and made few mistakes.  They earned the win.  Overall, this Cyclone group will be deeper, stronger and more balanced as they mature.

Cyclops- you talk about classroom adjustments. Were their still several ineligibles on the sidelines? At the Lanphier game, I noticed several. Were they the same players or different this time?
"Reclaim the Gold."

#18 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:28 PM

Couple from what I'ver heard.  Not sure we've had the same squad yet for two games.

#19 Analyst

Analyst

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

Forget about football concerns; given the $ their parents are probably paying for them to attend SHG, I would hope that the ones who need to will adjust to what is expected of them in the classroom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users