• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

THE

• Admin
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:39 AM

I've heard good things about this group...great quickness and some great athletes.  Can anybody else shed some light on the SHG freshman team?

#2 007

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:54 PM

The 2 or 3 best freshman will see little playing time at the frosh level this season.  Including one tailback.

#3 yourloyalfan

yourloyalfan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:48 AM

stephen hott wil play jf and freshman. Tommy jenning rb is playing both teams. and a kid named dom he is one of the three.

#4 yourloyalfan

yourloyalfan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:55 AM

weve got decent size one kid is 6'4 300 pounds. the next biggest is like 6'0 255.
We seem to have it all around perfict throwers runner that break ankles.powerfull line that block. the defense will have at least 3 ints a game and 5 forced fumbles a game. no dought in my mind 8-0

#5 cycsfan2

cycsfan2

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:25 AM

Wow, sounds like they're loaded. I knew the Hott kid would be real good. Didn't know we had that much size coming in.

#6 tupelo

tupelo

Silver Member

• PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:36 PM

I know they are supposed to be good, but let's wait to see them play a game before we start predicting future outcomes.

#7 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:12 PM

All... Agreed.   Ratsy

#8 SHGRECRUITER

SHGRECRUITER

Forum Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 02:54 PM

8-0? No way. Someone in the CS8 will be a huge surprise. Too bad it will not be a home game. They could leave the scoreboard on for 4 years

#9 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:17 PM

All... Hey I didn't know SHG recruited. roll_eyes.gif    Ratsy

#10 Steve

Steve

THE

• Admin
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:17 AM

With regards to the post I just deleted, let's remember we're on the same team here.  As dumb as any comment is, no need to insult or attack anyone.  Keep it civil....

#11 Teetime

Teetime

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:16 PM

I will say this about the freshman team......I have seen quite a few "Black & Gold" freshman games, and this year's Frosh looked pretty fast and strong Vs. the Soph's when compared to other years.

There were probably a few Frosh parents who expected a better showing, but that almost never happens at Black & Gold. The Sophs are a year older and bigger (and I think had a few Frosh. players). The Freshmen had only been in pads at the High School level for six days.

I expect big things from this class, starting with Montini on Saturday.

#12 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (cornerrat @ Aug 18 2005, 05:17 PM)
All... Hey I didn't know SHG recruited. roll_eyes.gif    Ratsy

SHG does recruit - all private institutions at the h.s. level do - the administration has to look it as a business. They are providing a service for people's money (tuition).

When I say recruit, I mean market.  The SHG Advancement office has people who are in charge of having open houses, creating promotional literature, giving one-on one tours of the facilities, and reaching out to the local grade schools when possible.

Remember - private schools are an option for parents wishing to pay for the benefits for their child - it is their choice - on the flip side of the coin - the private school is not a public institution - they can accept of reject any student for anything.  It is always interesting when these schools have children that unfortuniatley have to be asked to leave for disrupting the school community in some way, and the parents feel it is their right to have their child there - public schools yes - private no.  Just like any vendor can deny service to a potential customer - have to be careful - could be bad for business in the long run, but is their right - PRIVATE schools are no different.

Yes, SHG markets (recruits) potential football players the same way they would ANY potential student.  From an administrative viewpoint, it is all about filling seats - that generates tuition dollars - teachers stay employed and the bills can be paid - quality can be maintained.  There is really no differential, however, between athletes, non-athletes, chello players, potential gardeners, etc. - you get the drift.

"Recruiting/Marketing" is perfictly legit - just like for any private business.  As long as no tuition $ is covered based on athletic performance - the IHSA is just fine with it.

#13 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:55 AM

Excellent post, Hasbeen!  That was as well stated a response as I've ever seen.

May I perhaps borrow it next time I decide to slap down one of Ratsy's "pagans" over on IHSS?

Edited by OldFan, 28 August 2005 - 09:56 AM.

Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#14 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:13 AM

All... Hasbeen, maybe you misinterpeted my tongue in cheek statement. It must of been the little round headed guy with the rolling eyes, although I do like the the word market. :goodjob: Ratsy

#15 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Aug 28 2005, 08:55 AM)
Excellent post, Hasbeen!  That was as well stated a response as I've ever seen.

May I perhaps borrow it next time I decide to slap down one of Ratsy's "pagans" over on IHSS?

Sure - but nothing to borrow - they're just the facts.  The recruiting thing is sort of a hot topic for me.  There is just so much mis-information out there.  Wonder what sort of response I would get it I opend that one up on the general board!!!  nod.gif

#16 SHGRECRUITER

SHGRECRUITER

Forum Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:38 PM

Has Been

You are correct, The IHSA is OK with recruiting as long as no tuition assistance is based on athletic performance.

THATS WHAT THE BOOSTER CLUBS ARE FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (SHGRECRUITER @ Aug 28 2005, 11:38 AM)
Has Been

You are correct, The IHSA is OK with recruiting as long as no tuition assistance is based on athletic performance.

THATS WHAT THE BOOSTER CLUBS ARE FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you suggesting the booster club at SHG provides tuition assistance?

#18 2834

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:54 PM

I can here it now 'There is no proof that a booster club has provided tuition assistance to athletes'    

Of course not, anyone with half a brain can figure out how to keep it off the books

#19 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (2515 @ Aug 28 2005, 11:54 AM)
I can here it now 'There is no proof that a booster club has provided tuition assistance to athletes'    

Of course not, anyone with half a brain can figure out how to keep it off the books

Of course they would keep it off the books - however - what constitutes a "booster club"?

The "Booster Club" (for the sake of this post, I'll call it the "official booster club")SHG administration lets come to games, set up tailgates, sell athletic wear, etc. - I know for a FACT - does not provide tuition assistance.

Now, if there are clandestine "Booster" clubs out there (basically wealthy alumni or parents who are not members of the official booster club) at private schools who go to "Mom and Dad in Need" and offer to help with personal checks, who knows - but more so - it's no one's business.  If that scenario upsets anyone, write your congressman - federal gifting laws say Joe Taxpayer can give anyone mony free of tax upto somewhere around $11,000.  That is someone's personal choice.  If the school does not promote it, ask for it, or encourage it - the school is in no way involved.  There would really be no difference there than someone giving a kid $ for Christmas and mom and dad having them put it in their education fund.

The official booster club can't do it.  If the school allowed them to, or even thought they were doing so, the school (I would hope) would no longer recognize them, or could accept their $.

Not the case here - SHG booster club does a great job and all $ raised on their behalf is given to the school and put into the general athletic fund - I don't believe it is sport-specific in any way.

As long as I have followed SHG athletics - I have never known a LEGITIMATE athlete or family who claims "booster assistance".  Don't you think SOMEONE would have fessed up by now?

The only claims that come from disgruntled people or anti-private school (anti-SHG for that matter) people.

Oh but (unfortuniatley) drama sells . . .

#20 Steve

Steve

THE

• Admin
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:40 PM

SHGRECRUITER,

You're a moron.  The Booster Club raises money and then writes one big check to the administration of the school.  Only the top three administrators at the school (no one else) have any say in how that money is distributed to the athletic programs.  It is put in one big general fund and then distributed from there.  It has nothing to do with tuition assistance.

:offtopic:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users