• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

I think SHG lost to a team that had more size and more athletes than they did. The first half was really rough for the SHG Offense, I don't believe that the Cycs ever got inside the Naz 30 yard line the entire half. Nazareth was too big to run straight at and too fast to go wide on. Their LB's were all over 200 lbs and could really run. When SHG attempted to pass the QB was getting flushed from the pocket far too often and just didn't have a lot of time. As the 1st quarter ended there was a feeling that the Cycs might get blown out. There was a bad call on our QB fumble on our end of the field. The ball came out when the QB hit the ground and the ground can't cause a fumble. I can't believe the officials missed that one. Our D stiffened and held Naz to a FG on that possession. On Naz's 1st possession of the game they fumbled just short of our goal line which was a huge break for us. It was 13-0 at half and the Cycs were just hanging on by their fingernails. It could have been worse if not for the toughness of the SHG Defense.
Naz received the 2nd half kickoff and the Cycs got a pick and got the board with a FG and had the momentum for most of the 2nd half but just couldn't quite get over the hump. The 2nd half adjustment of a two back set featuring Brenneisen as the lead fullback put some spark back in the offense. After the Cycs closed the deficit to 13-10 Naz promptly got their only score of the 2nd half, a long pass down the sideline to a receiver who had gotten 3 steps behind our DB. The Cycs had chances after that to get back in the game but after one drive stalled late in the 3rd their FG try was blocked and a good 4th quarter drive to the Naz 25 yard line ended with an SHG fumble with about 5:00 left.
There's no team in the CS8 that could really prepare SHG for a team with the size, physicality and athleticism of Nazareth. I think at the start of the game SHG was a bit shocked by what they were hit with but they adjusted and never quit fighting and made a game of it. Three and outs by an offense can kill your defense and I thought the defense was terrific limiting Naz to 20 points, particularly given that our offense had very little time of possession in the first half.
Given the number of underclassmen on the field for SHG yesterday the future looks bright and this game provided a good experience for next year. I'm proud of these players for how hard they played and their never give up attitude.

#2 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

The boys gave it the effort, that's for sure. They played with pride and could just as easily be practicing Monday as Nazareth.

I think we all said we'd have to minimize mistakes. Well, we didn't.

#3 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:43 PM

View Postcyclops, on 12 November 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

The boys gave it the effort, that's for sure. They played with pride and could just as easily be practicing Monday as Nazareth.

I think we all said we'd have to minimize mistakes. Well, we didn't.

Agree, I should have made mention of all the turnovers. We had what, 4 or 5? You don't win very often when you turn it over that often.

#4 FootballDadTil2023

FootballDadTil2023

Forum Member

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:00 PM

I would agree with the game summary and cause(s) for the loss. That game was SHG’s to win and as you said, minimizing our mistakes could have changed the outcome.

I would also like to point out in my 40 years of watching football, I have never seen a team like Nazareth. They were the worst-behaved team on the field I have ever been witness to. Their coaches, parents, and players should be ashamed of themselves for allowing that team to behave that way. From the very start of the game - pulling the helmet off our player after the whistle, body slamming our running back when out of bounds, tackling our running back 8-10 yards out of bounds, horse collaring our running back, facemasks, you name it. They had two personal fouls on the same play. And what were the player’s reactions to sometimes being called for their behavior? Taking their helmet off while on the field to complain (should be another personal foul) and then smiling, clapping and dancing. Still today, their players are on twitter talking even more trash to our team and players. I say this because if I were a parent or coach of a Naz player I would want to know (which I’m sure they do) and you can bet, if roles were reversed, our players would have been called on the carpet already to face serious repercussions – as they should – in addition to an article or two in the SJR about their behavior.
What makes me most proud of our boys and program is they rise above this behavior, accept the outcome, and even provided hand made sandwiches for the Naz team to eat on their bus ride home.

#5 FootballDadTil2023

FootballDadTil2023

Forum Member

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

On the topic of SHG v Naz - I found it interesting but not surprising that SHS would not share their game film of SHS vs. Naz with SHG.

#6 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:43 PM

View PostFootballDadTil2023, on 13 November 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

On the topic of SHG v Naz - I found it interesting but not surprising that SHS would not share their game film of SHS vs. Naz with SHG.
My response to the SHS situation- what is the CS10 conference record for most points in a game by one team? When is the SHS/SHG game in 2018? ��
"Reclaim the Gold."

#7 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:15 PM

View PostFootballDadTil2023, on 13 November 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

I would agree with the game summary and cause(s) for the loss. That game was SHG’s to win and as you said, minimizing our mistakes could have changed the outcome.

I would also like to point out in my 40 years of watching football, I have never seen a team like Nazareth. They were the worst-behaved team on the field I have ever been witness to. Their coaches, parents, and players should be ashamed of themselves for allowing that team to behave that way. From the very start of the game - pulling the helmet off our player after the whistle, body slamming our running back when out of bounds, tackling our running back 8-10 yards out of bounds, horse collaring our running back, facemasks, you name it. They had two personal fouls on the same play. And what were the player’s reactions to sometimes being called for their behavior? Taking their helmet off while on the field to complain (should be another personal foul) and then smiling, clapping and dancing. Still today, their players are on twitter talking even more trash to our team and players. I say this because if I were a parent or coach of a Naz player I would want to know (which I’m sure they do) and you can bet, if roles were reversed, our players would have been called on the carpet already to face serious repercussions – as they should – in addition to an article or two in the SJR about their behavior.
What makes me most proud of our boys and program is they rise above this behavior, accept the outcome, and even provided hand made sandwiches for the Naz team to eat on their bus ride home.

View PostFootballDadTil2023, on 13 November 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

All.... I didn't even bring that up (yet) over on Edgys board. A couple of their faithful need to realize that when they go "poking" on SHG. (lol) Ratsy

#8 FootballDadTil2023

FootballDadTil2023

Forum Member

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

Ratsy - Feel free to use some, all, or none.

#9 cycs54

cycs54

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

View PostJFLdadGHS87, on 13 November 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostFootballDadTil2023, on 13 November 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

My response to the SHS situation- what is the CS10 conference record for most points in a game by one team? When is the SHS/SHG game in 2018? ��

Also didnít SHS try to turn SHG In for a violation when Colt McCoy came and did a talk, he went out and threw with some football players only to have SHS call IHSA?  Iíd definitely have that in mind when we play them next year

#10 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:55 PM

All.... Davey "Jo" must be bored on that bar stool over on old Jack. (lol)  Called into Jim Ruppert's show tonight on 1450am. Yapping about how some on "social media" from SHG were talking about SHS not turning over the Naz/SHS film. DJ lives for this board....  :winkwink:

I find all of this interesting. I would of thought SHG would of went and filmed this game on their own. Heck the gents from Cyclone nation  ( I was there for the same reason) several years ago turned up at a Saturday playoff game -   Centralia/Jacksonville in anticipation of a Cyclone match in the near future. A  LONG drive after a Friday game for the rodent by the way. (lol)

Jim (on the radio) didn't say much but did mention that during the summer tensions were high between SHG and SHS. Did something happen? Multiple losses year after year in a row can make people cranky. :thinking: Ratsy

Edited by cornerrat, 17 November 2017 - 08:10 PM.

#11 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:13 PM

All.... Naz up 7-0 at the half over NLP. Ratsy

#12 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:03 PM

All.... Monster mistake by NLP after the Celtics should of gotten the ball trailing the Roadrunners by a score. Naz gets the ball on a short field.  And Naz kicks a field goal. This game is over. Sigh.... Ratsy

#13 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:41 PM

Just ticks me off even more thinking about our mistakes last week. Doubly so, when I think about how punkish Nazareth is.

Edited by cyclops, 18 November 2017 - 06:43 PM.

#14 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

View Postcyclops, on 18 November 2017 - 06:41 PM, said:

Just ticks me off even more thinking about our mistakes last week. Doubly so, when I think about how punkish Nazareth is.

All.... Some of their fans (over on Edgy's ) have that exact same quality. Go figure. :uhhuh: ratsy

#15 FootballDadTil2023

FootballDadTil2023

Forum Member

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

View Postcornerrat, on 17 November 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

All.... Davey "Jo" must be bored on that bar stool over on old Jack. (lol)  Called into Jim Ruppert's show tonight on 1450am. Yapping about how some on "social media" from SHG were talking about SHS not turning over the Naz/SHS film. DJ lives for this board....  :winkwink:

I find all of this interesting. I would of thought SHG would of went and filmed this game on their own. Heck the gents from Cyclone nation  ( I was there for the same reason) several years ago turned up at a Saturday playoff game -   Centralia/Jacksonville in anticipation of a Cyclone match in the near future. A  LONG drive after a Friday game for the rodent by the way. (lol)

Jim (on the radio) didn't say much but did mention that during the summer tensions were high between SHG and SHS. Did something happen? Multiple losses year after year in a row can make people cranky. :thinking: Ratsy

To clarify - for DJ - Ken Leonard said on the SHG v Naz pre-game show that SHS would not share their Naz game film.
Did DJ agree with not sharing game film to other conference teams (even though SHS was eliminated)?

#16 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

View PostFootballDadTil2023, on 20 November 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

To clarify - for DJ - Ken Leonard said on the SHG v Naz pre-game show that SHS would not share their Naz game film.
Did DJ agree with not sharing game film to other conference teams (even though SHS was eliminated)?

View PostFootballDadTil2023, on 20 November 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

All.... Don't know. DJ's sole existence these past many years is to call up on the radio and yap about SHG in a less than positive light. I and many others find him amusing actually. Ratsy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users