• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:43 PM

Congratulations to Rochester. They have a very good team. They were also very well prepared and extremely confident. On the other hand, our guys spent the first two thirds of the game looking at each other. Hats off to Derek Leonard.

It's pretty sad when you have two D1 backs on the same team and the Oline can't produce a hundred yards, let alone a single yard when we need it. Didn't help that we have three backs in the secondary that don't know the ball is in the air until it's caught. That just about sums it up.

#2 theringer

theringer

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

BTW.  What position did you play ?  Or did you play?  High school kids playing a game they love. The bounced back after a rough first half.

#3 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:46 PM

Oh boy, get the participation ribbons ready. Maybe we should erase the scores at the end of each quarter so nobody gets their feelings hurt.

#4 FootballDadTil2023

FootballDadTil2023

Forum Member

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:01 PM

I think thatís a fair assessment of the game. I would like to have seen some different play calling that would have opened things up for the RBs. Everyone in the stadium knew where the shg ball was going in the first half. Rochester packed it in to play the run and took their chances on covering the pass and it worked until shg started moving the ball around.
On another note I have not seen a more incompetent group of referees than the group that did that game. Not necessarily bad calls - there were a few of those - but poor attention to detail of the game. Several offsides calls where time came off the clock. At the end of the game Rochester in victory formation took the snap but did not take a kne and the ref still blew the whistle! Twice!

#5 FootballDadTil2023

FootballDadTil2023

Forum Member

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:23 PM

I will say shg snaps need to improve now! Several - more than a dozen - were high and one over the head of the qb. Hard enough to be a qb even harder when you have to jump to catch the snap several times a game!

#6 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:44 AM

FD23, you are spot on about the snaps and a dozen is conservative. Pretty much the whole first half. Tough way for our QB to start every play.

This aspect and a lively and frank discussion of other facets takes place in the CFF lounge every week. Unfortunately, you're gonna need to get your post count up before you can access it. Most posters there want to talk real football, but without the sensitivities that you see above. Your observations would be welcome.

#7 FootballDadTil2023

FootballDadTil2023

Forum Member

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:36 AM

Yes - would love a frank and lively discussion - I'll keep posting.
Could i view but not post in the CFF lounge?

I know there's several others out there too that would like to join any discussion of HS football but the approval process on this forum must be stalled.
Looking at the Members section, there are hundreds that have joined and are 'validating' for a year or more.

Anyone know how the approval process works?

#8 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:07 AM

All.... Ratsy

http://www.shgfootba...id=56&Itemid=76

#9 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

Sorry, all I can add is that I had to hang around for a bit before I could post on the private side. Maybe ask the site administrator.

I personally have always welcomed a more public discussion, new blood and all. There are some things you shouldn't talk about on the public side, like injuries or maybe a morsel of insight from a player or coach. (Even the value of such information is debated in the CFF Lounge). Mostly, though, you want to be sensitive to players (and their relatives). Just look above, I offer general criticism, some of which was even aired by Coach Leonard, yet it's got somebody asking about my credentials to even comment. Most posters just stay underground to avoid the hassle.

#10 FootballDadTil2023

FootballDadTil2023

Forum Member

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

Thanks Ratsy - I have seen that page.
For whatever reason no new users are being approved - there are hundreds. That is why things are so 'quiet' on the forum.
I'm sure most are fake but I know some are actual humans :)

#11 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

All.... Yes indeed. I miss the "good ole days" when this board had quite a lot of traffic. Including posters from other teams which provided some lively conversations. Now all that happens is "Mouse Trap" shows back up when the postseason arrives. :loco: But when you look at it not only are sites like this one down but less spectators are showing up at the games as well. Ratsy

#12 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

View PostFootballDadTil2023, on 10 October 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

Thanks Ratsy - I have seen that page.
For whatever reason no new users are being approved - there are hundreds. That is why things are so 'quiet' on the forum.
I'm sure most are fake but I know some are actual humans :)

All.... Not sure who the point of contact would be at the school. Likely all that would be needed is a change (IT stuff)  on the site allowing activation  of new accounts. If the powers that be want that to happen....  Ratsy

#13 FootballDadTil2023

FootballDadTil2023

Forum Member

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

View Postcornerrat, on 10 October 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

All.... Yes indeed. I miss the "good ole days" when this board had quite a lot of traffic. Including posters from other teams which provided some lively conversations. Now all that happens is "Mouse Trap" shows back up when the postseason arrives. :loco: But when you look at it not only are sites like this one down but less spectators are showing up at the games as well. Ratsy

Yes - I am disappointed by attendance at the games.
The fans that do show up are pretty quiet too.
I don't know if it's due to the decline of football in general, other activities to do instead, or the fact that there are only 2 or 3 good regular season games (or all 3!)
This Friday should be a good crowd vs SHS.... I hope.

#14 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

I don't know about other activities, but your points are valid. When you run the table for so many years, it leads to fan apathy. For many years now, there has been a home crowd expectation of an easy win, sitting on their hands,yet the travelling crowd to Chatham,Taylorville, Jax, Bishop Mac, Providence, etc. was loud and focused. That is dwindling also.

The Rochester crowd's enthusiasm (our side) was disappointing, but a lot had to do with the deer in the headlights first half performance of the team. We were just not competitive for the second time this year, both against the only good teams we've played.

Edited by cyclops, 10 October 2017 - 12:03 PM.

#15 theringer

theringer

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

Not thinking  everyone should get a ribbon   I've been around this program many years  I don't suggest that we played our finest game  I know the players are not happy about their performance     you sound a little bitter about being criticized   although you didn't hesitate to offer your two cents worth   I don't mind critique of game at all   thats the nature of the beast when we lose

#16 theringer

theringer

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

BTW  I have been disappointed in the crowd as well, enthusiasm and all

#17 cycsfan2

cycsfan2

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:16 PM

Along the same lines as lower numbers of fans coming to the games, I saw a report on (I believe it was Good Morning America) that football participation among kids aged 6 through 12 is down 20 percent. Not a shocker there, and it is certainly showing up at the high school level as well. Many high schools in Iowa have gone to 8 man football as there's just not enough numbers any more. Many parents are steering their kids clear football and apparently that's not going to stop any time soon..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users