SHG vs Woodstock Marian Your Thoughts....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#1 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:30 AM

All.... A quick condensed look at the Hurricanes....

Marian Catholic hails out of the Suburban Cathoilic Conference . Undefeated with with two wins over Montini Catholic, the second a shutout and a big win against 5 time straight state champ Addison Driscoll (also a shutout) in their title run this year. A large turn around for this team that was 4-5 last year.

Going into last night game with Maple Park Kaneland....

Offense.

Led by qb Jon Budmayr 83-169 for 1,544 yards 10tds and 11 ints.

Many running backs for this team. One that gets a lot of work is T J pappas who has 886 yards and 14 tds. Their stud runner Joe Pekenpaugh who has been hurt is back to playing some on special team returns.

Peckenpaugh must be one heck of an athlete. Last night on the 1450am after game radio broadcast the crew got a hold of a reporter in the Woodstock area. I believe they talked about Pekenpaugh who has a ACL tear and is playing with a knee brace. This reporter summed up the Hurricanes offense as "they take what you give them."

Defense.

Not to take anything away from the offense but this is why they are 13-0. A great defensive team with the four in the middle causing mayhem to the oppositions offense. Tackles Herina and Stapleton and the big gun ends Bulaga 6 5" 280 pound senior and Cloynar 280 pound junior both d1 prospects. I read somewhere these two also play on the offense.

Marian through twelve weeks was scoring 33.8 per game and giving up 10.3 on the defense. Their 22-7 win over Kaneland didn't hurt those stats....

Botton Line.... The game against Metamora was big last night. But all that talk about that match being the true State Championship game was just that.... talk. This Hurricane team is the real deal and SHG will have their hands full next Saturday at 1:00pm in the promised land Champaign for the big trophy. Let the tailgate begin!!!!! Ratsy gocycs.gif

#2 D Cup

D Cup

Forum Member

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:44 AM

Looking forward to the Showdown, both teams have shown they deserve to be there.

Let me start by saying thanks to the large numbers of your fans that picked us to win last night.  You were not in the vocal majority.

I have enjoyed viewing your site for the last couple of weeks, and find that most of your posts are based in facts not fandom.

I'm looking forward to some lively discussion as this game draws closer and to meeting some of you at the big game.

Our son plays for Marian but my wife's boss is a SHG alumni.  Will make for an interesting week.

Hurricane Warning

#3 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:51 AM

Hurricanes vs. Cyclones?  Yet another battle of the winds . . . crazy.gif

#4 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (D Cup @ Nov 19 2006, 04:44 PM)
Looking forward to the Showdown, both teams have shown they deserve to be there.

Let me start by saying thanks to the large numbers of your fans that picked us to win last night.  You were not in the vocal majority.

I have enjoyed viewing your site for the last couple of weeks, and find that most of your posts are based in facts not fandom.

I'm looking forward to some lively discussion as this game draws closer and to meeting some of you at the big game.

Our son plays for Marian but my wife's boss is a SHG alumni.  Will make for an interesting week.

Hurricane Warning

All.... Nothing better than two Catholic teams going at it. Keeping it in the same house so to speak. Did you know the hurricane is part of "our" family. They are known as tropical cyclones. :wink:  Ratsy

#5 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:14 PM

We have seen speed and size, power football, and teams that can throw. Looking at M.C.C.'s schedule, they had a similarly difficult time with Montini in their first game. The difference was that Montini had since last November to prepare for SHG, thus bringing everything to the table for the first game of the season. M.C.C. has incredible size, yet they are not from the East Suburban Catholic conference where the big boys play. I am NOT putting them down because we all understand that we are dealt with a certain hand being in our respective conferences. Cahokia, Glenweed, Taylorville and Metamora all prepared the Cycs for this title game. I like our chances, yet am cautious. gocycs.gif
"Reclaim the Gold."

#6 ispaiu

ispaiu

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (JFLdadGHS87 @ Nov 19 2006, 11:14 AM)
The difference was that Montini had since last November to prepare for SHG, thus bringing everything to the table for the first game of the season.

I respectfully disagree, as I don't think the first game of the year is a very accurate way to judge either the winner or loser of that game.

I would be interested to hear some Montini people weigh in on SHG---MCC

Edited by ispaiu, 19 November 2006 - 01:02 PM.

I offer absolutely zero educated insight

#7 D Cup

D Cup

Forum Member

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:24 PM

Coaches and players have to make the most of all games, no matter who they play.  Any dog on any day.  This year Kaneland beat Batavia, who are now playing in the 6A Championship, yet they are out of the 5A playoffs.

I do not know enough about SHG or their team yet, as Springfield is off of our radar, as I'm sure Marian has been to you.  So I will reserve comments till later.

#8 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:34 PM

We probably won't run a great deal on the Marian defense. Defensively they're a ton. They're like SHG in that they rarely give up more than one TD a game.
The two way player Bulaga has committed to Iowa as an O-lineman.
Pass protection should be a big key to our success.
I see that Glenwood Dad on the SJR board is picking Marian 28-10. He also picked Metamora to beat us so we shouldn't concern ourselves too much with his prognostications.

#9 tincup1215

tincup1215

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:18 PM

I'll take SHG by at least 2 TDs.  Kaneland had more yards and more first downs and was inside the 20 5 times, but just couldn't put it in the endzone.  Marian deserved to win, but I don't think they can play with SHG.  

Keep those D-ends in check and SHG could win by more.

#10 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (tincup1215 @ Nov 19 2006, 01:18 PM)
I'll take SHG by at least 2 TDs.  Kaneland had more yards and more first downs and was inside the 20 5 times, but just couldn't put it in the endzone.  Marian deserved to win, but I don't think they can play with SHG.  

Keep those D-ends in check and SHG could win by more.

tincup

I was hoping you were still around.  I know very little about Marian other than that the "expert" readers of the Chicago Tribune are already awarding them the trophy.  I'm not sure but I think that may be because most of them think Illinois ends at the Cook/Will County Line Road and that they're playing somebody from Kentucky or some place like that.

Your insights about Marian would be appreciated.  I know little about them other than that they have rung up some pretty heavy scores on smaller schools than themselves

Marian CC Multiplied enrollment:  1194.60

W   52   19    7-3   Stillman Valley                                      601.00
W   49   14    1-8  *Aurora (Central Catholic)                       694.65
W   42   13    3-6  *Elmhurst (Immaculate Conception)         336.60
W   61    0    0-9  *Elgin (St. Edward)                                  696.30

and that their scores were generally much more modest against teams their own size.  Not trying to denigrate them, BTW, just pointing out what seems to me to be an interesting observation.
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#11 THStornadoesman2005

THStornadoesman2005

Forum Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:29 PM

Marian does have 2 good d-ends and a d-1 o-lineman but shg has the o line to handle them. I have noticed watching some of the games that the SHG O-line does some of the best pass blocking I have ever seen a high school team do.  Not to mention they can run block pretty good too.  I kinda noticed that against the Tornadoes doh!.gif .  O ya, not to mention that whatshisname  :sure:  throwin the ball is pretty good.  Give Bobby B time and he can pick apart any defense.

SHG by at least 2 scores.

Edited by THStornadoesman2005, 19 November 2006 - 05:31 PM.

#12 tincup1215

tincup1215

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:27 PM

Oldfan-  

Kaneland I felt did an excellent job on defense against Marian.  They forced some punts and a couple fumbles.  I think SHGs defense is better and as long as SHG watched that counter (when that BIG Cwyna pulls) SHG should have no problem.  

Offensively- Kaneland moved the ball pretty well, but couldn't get it done in the red zone.  I think SHGs offense is better than Kanelands and SHG should not have a problem moving the ball and putting it in the endzone.  

I've said since the first week of football that SHG is the team to beat.  Final score  SHG 24 Marian 6.  

If you give Bobby B some time, he'll rip up the secondary.  Whenever Boone had longer than 2-3 seconds to pass, it resulted in at least an 8 yard gain.  Unfortunatly, he didn't get that long to pass.

Good luck SHG and Marian.  Back to Back sure would be sweet!  gocycs.gif

#13 TornadoFan

TornadoFan

Silver Member

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:04 PM

I have nothging to add because quite frankly, I know nothing about your opponent. Therefore I will wish you all the best and good luck. Bring it home boys. Hope to see you in champaign.

Hal

#14 TheRingoKid

TheRingoKid

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order of importance: Cyclone football, Irish football, Cyclone basketball, SHG non-athletic activities, movies, sci fi television.

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:08 PM

Ratsy, regarding your comment that there's nothing better than two Catholic schools going at it: Looks like the multiplier still needs a little tweaking in the off-season! :lol:

#15 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:18 PM

After reading the other article on the back page of today's SJR Sports, I think we need a multiplier for public high schools from cities starting with a Q, L or P.
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#16 Cyclone1

Cyclone1

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:50 PM

Here is a video highlight I found of them vs Kaneland, they are pretty big

http://www.mchenrycountysports.com/article...iq_13530313.txt

#17 Hurricane Fan

Hurricane Fan

Forum Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (ispaiu @ Nov 19 2006, 11:47 AM)
QUOTE (JFLdadGHS87 @ Nov 19 2006, 11:14 AM)
The difference was that Montini had since last November to prepare for SHG, thus bringing everything to the table for the first game of the season.

I respectfully disagree, as I don't think the first game of the year is a very accurate way to judge either the winner or loser of that game.

I would be interested to hear some Montini people weigh in on SHG---MCC

In response to ? about Montini's thoughts.  Marien played the Broncos (Montini) in the first round and soundly beat them.  This was the Hurricanes 2nd victory over Montini this season, first 1 was a close game.

After the playoff game, while the Marian team was huddled at midfield, the Montini head coach spoke to the team.  According to the paper, he told them they have what it takes to WIN STATE.  Coming from a coach who has won several titles, give that statement some validity.

I think the game will be low scoring with the Hurricanes scoring in the last 5 minutes to take the lead and holding off a valient onlslaught by SHG to preserve the victory.  

Field position will be critical with the caliber of both teams.  Marian's kicking game is lead by an All State Soccer player.  Kicking off the turf in Champaign may lead to some long field goal attempts.

If you want to ream more articles about Marian goto mchenrycountysports.com.  Click on schools, scroll down to Marian.

Go CANES.

#18 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:04 PM

Anybody besides me having trouble getting the video to play?  I make it all the way to the screen, and the Play button greens for me, but nothing plays.  I don't show it loading either.

#19 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:05 PM

All.... "they have what it takes to win state" a very nice compliment from Coach Andriano. Would like to of heard you are going to win state but we all can't have the whole pie..... Ratsy

#20 mfootballfan

mfootballfan

Forum Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:12 PM

The Cyclones and the Hurricanes meeting in Champaign. It sounds like "The Perfect Storm" is brewing.

I'll go with the Cyclones in this one, good luck.  gocycs.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users