14 replies to this topic

#1 ChicagoCyclone

ChicagoCyclone

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:07 AM

Fantastic defense today! Because the game was live on TV up here, I got my first look at the Cyclones in action. Thanks to WFMB for all the internet broadcasts, but to see them on TV really makes a difference.

My immediate impression after watching Normal Community take out Batavia in 6A was that the two teams squaring off in 5A were much better than either of them. All Bobby's passes seemed crisp and strong as opposed to the floaters thrown by both the Batavia and Normal Community passers. As much can be said for the defense played in the 5A game. Steiren really covers some ground out there, and Edwards tattooed Budmayr a couple times!

Speaking of Budmayr, was anybody as impressed as I was?!?! For only being a sophomore, that kid had great poise in the pocket and vision like that of many of the more talented seniors. He also showed toughness beyound his years when he got right up and back to business after getting labeled by the SHG defenders after fleeing his protection. Were it not for a few of his mistakes, typical of younger quarterbacks, the game may have been a bit closer. Next year, we'll likely see fewer of those mistakes from him and, perhaps, success that mirrors this year.

Anyway congrats to the newest dynasty in the state. Let the three-peat conversations begin...

Posted Image

#2 tincup1215

tincup1215

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:26 AM

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I'll say it again.

SHG would have won 6A by about 2 TDs and competed in 7A against Rita.  

Back to Back says it all.  A team who always was the bridesmaid has now been married twice.

To the Marian players and coaches- great team and had an excellent run this year when everyone doubted them.  

To the fans- its fun watching your team in the title game.  Now stop with the "we're a 4A school" crap.  

Ya i'm a die hard Kaneland fan and Kaneland is not within 28 points of SHG this year.  Hell I think Marian probably was the best competition you'll find for SHG in all 6 classes.  

5A was stronger than 6A this year I believe.  SHG>Marian>Kaneland>Batavia>everyone in 6A but Normel.  

Congratulations again SHG, I can't say enough things about that team.  They are sharp, focused and flat out GOOD and deserve everything they get.

#3 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:21 AM

ChicagoCyclone: Glad you got to see them on TV. Being at the game was even better. It is interesting to see some of the comments regarding schools from larger classes. It is great to think we could have been as good in higher classes. The problem, especially when you look at a conference that included Mount Carmel, St. Rita and Providence Catholic, would be the week in, week out wear and tear. Could SHG compete on a winner take all one game format? I believe so, but a weekly grind in the Eastern Suburban Catholic Conference might yield different results. Just my humble opinion! I think SHG could have beaten Normal or St. Rita yesterday HANDILY!!! gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif
"Reclaim the Gold."

#4 illini777

illini777

Forum Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:50 AM

Congratulations to the Cyclone Nation on another great year!

The football team is one class act.  They played with a togetherness that any level/team should be so lucky to achieve.  It has been an honor to watch this team play for the last four years.

Thanks,
Illini777

#5 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (tincup1215 @ Nov 26 2006, 12:26 AM)
Congratulations again SHG, I can't say enough things about that team.  They are sharp, focused and flat out GOOD and deserve everything they get.

Thanks - I only wish college coaches showed as much sense.  The sad fact is that several of the SHG players are flat-out winners and could play at any level, but with regard to D1A, its questionable whether they'll even be given the chance to try.  

Bobby Brenneisen:  Two-time multiple All-State honoree, ranks in top ten of Illinois career passing, has never lost a game he started at quarterback.  At 6'1" and 200 lbs he's considered "too small".  

Nic Thoele:  Three year starter at tackle (O and D).  Enormously powerful, manhandled numerous much bigger D-1 recruits, most recently Marian's Iowa-bound  Bryan Bulaga.   At 6'2" and 265lbs, he's "too short".

Michael Stieren:   All-State defensive end,  unequalled sacker and tackler.  6'2", will probably go D1AA - "too small".

Keenan Gilpin:  Hobnorable mention All-State WR and safety.  Against Marian, had caught 8 fasses for 146 yards and ran eight ties for 70 yards,  Scored two touchdowns, one interception, several solo tackles.  6'1", 180 lbs.  Also "too small".

These seniors have never lost a game at their class level and won two State championships - they're proven winners.  But as far as I know, virtually no iterest from D1A coaches. :wha??:
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#6 TornadoFan

TornadoFan

Silver Member

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Nov 26 2006, 06:07 PM)
These seniors have never lost a game at their class level and won two State championships - they're proven winners.  But as far as I know, virtually no iterest from D1A coaches. :wha??:

Its really sad OldFan. They want freaks of nature anymore.

I spotted a power lifting contest a few years back for high school athletes. There was a kid, 5'11"... 290 lbs that benched 510 lbs....clean. (yeah..blew my mind) He claimed to run a 4.9 - 40. He was due to graduate and had no D1 prospects because of his height. He seemed a wonderful young man and it was extremely sad to hear such a thing. Don't know about his grades though and was to polite to ask.

Makes one wonder where the cutoff for size vs. talent is. Then I see this D1 kid Saturday get man handled by Thoele and I wonder just what the he&& goes on in the recruiters minds. All this talk about being a "nasty blocker" makes you wonder if the larger press platforms don't play a big role in them getting noticed. It still eludes me.

Hal

#7 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (TornadoFan @ Nov 26 2006, 08:10 PM)
Makes one wonder where the cutoff for size vs. talent is. Then I see this D1 kid Saturday get man handled by Thoele and I wonder just what the he&& goes on in the recruiters minds. All this talk about being a "nasty blocker" makes you wonder if the larger press platforms don't play a big role in them getting noticed. It still eludes me.

I'm sure market plays a role, as do "experts" like Rivals.Com and EdgyTim.   In a small market like Central Illinois the local papers have far fewer subscribers and a tiny fraction of the impact of bi-city papers.  In today's Chicago papers, we got a small stoy, slanted exclusively tooward Moodstock in the Sun-Times and the bloody Trib didn't even see fit to print a story about 5A.

In my opinion, if i were a college coach I'd far rather have a Nic Thoele who is smart (honor roll),  very strong and quick than a dozen of the Bulaga guy, who was just big.  

You can always hope there were college coaches at the game.  But even then, they made their choices when kids were juniors - its hard to make room for an unknown senior this late.

puke.gif
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#8 03SHGgrad

03SHGgrad

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Nov 26 2006, 05:07 PM)
QUOTE (tincup1215 @ Nov 26 2006, 12:26 AM)
Congratulations again SHG, I can't say enough things about that team.  They are sharp, focused and flat out GOOD and deserve everything they get.

Thanks - I only wish college coaches showed as much sense.  The sad fact is that several of the SHG players are flat-out winners and could play at any level, but with regard to D1A, its questionable whether they'll even be given the chance to try.  

Bobby Brenneisen:  Two-time multiple All-State honoree, ranks in top ten of Illinois career passing, has never lost a game he started at quarterback.  At 6'1" and 200 lbs he's considered "too small".  

Nic Thoele:  Three year starter at tackle (O and D).  Enormously powerful, manhandled numerous much bigger D-1 recruits, most recently Marian's Iowa-bound  Bryan Bulaga.   At 6'2" and 265lbs, he's "too short".

Michael Stieren:   All-State defensive end,  unequalled sacker and tackler.  6'2", will probably go D1AA - "too small".

Keenan Gilpin:  Hobnorable mention All-State WR and safety.  Against Marian, had caught 8 fasses for 146 yards and ran eight ties for 70 yards,  Scored two touchdowns, one interception, several solo tackles.  6'1", 180 lbs.  Also "too small".

That is fine by me!!! I would love to see any of the above mentioned at ISU.  Rumor is we are definitely going after Steiren and we may have passed on Bobby but no way to confirm that, just what i have heard through the grapevine...

#9 tincup1215

tincup1215

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:31 AM

You say Bobby B is to small.

Boone Thorgeson is 5'11 and maybe 175.  

As corny as this sounds, you can't measure heart and Bobby and Boone both have a ton of it.

#10 jdurham

jdurham

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:29 AM

Well, maybe at least one guy will get a Division 1 offer.  Apparently Purdue (maybe another) is looking at Bobby.
Did ya see the article this morning?

http://www.sj-r.com/sections/sports/stories/101592.asp

#11 gusdog

gusdog

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:30 AM

Congratulations to the Cyclones on a job well done!

#12 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:30 PM

When seeing the game in person most have a tendency to follow the ball.  Got to see a replay of the first half yesterday and that's when you really see the beauty of our preparation and execution.  The work of the OL could be set to symphony. The swarming defense, however, is heavy metal.

Had to play that Edwards hit and throwdown on their QB a couple times.  Also, Gossard's slipping through the line, BB's ball handling, great coverage by the secondary, lots of details that are easily overlooked.  Can't wait to get ahold of a full copy.

Edited by cyclops, 27 November 2006 - 01:30 PM.

#13 abruzzi51

abruzzi51

Elite Member

• Up In Heaven
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:56 PM

Hey Cyclops, please let us know when you do and from where.  I'd love a copy.  Thanks

#14 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:36 PM

So far, the only possibility I'm aware of is the IHSA and, if last year is any indication, it may be a few weeks.  I'll get over to their site and check it out.

Last year's local taper has moved on to the college game and I'm not sure if anyone else filmed it.

#15 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:16 PM

Here's the link provided by IHSA for purchase and it sounds like it is available now. I tried to register to see how much, but kept getting a server error.  It might be them and it might be me, I'll try again later.

http://www.psimedialive.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users