• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 basil991

basil991

Forum Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:08 PM

Just wondering what kind of game we will get this Sat. Provi has not changed much in the way of style, they said this was going to be a down year but the results don't show that. What about this years's SHG compared to last years?

#2 ispaiu

ispaiu

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:31 PM

Welcome, Basil. We're just honored to be on the same field of play as you. We can't possibly hope to win, but we're going to go out there and try. I know our players are really afraid, but we're going to soothe them with camomile tea before the game and we've promised them peppermint lozenges after the game if they keep it within 50 points. Nobody expects us to be able to compete with Providence---a team that nearly strikes SHG players dead with fear. But, as I said, I know they're honored to just be able to tell their grandkids they played against Provi. You don't have much to worry about---a bunch of three-and-outs and then you can get ready for Lemont.
I offer absolutely zero educated insight

#3 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:44 PM

ispaiu, you should be ashamed of yourself.  It was a fair question and deserves a fair nswer - besides all he has to do is go to MaxPreps an see exactly what sort of guns we're bringing to the fght.

Besides they already have the tapes.

Basil-

Welcome to the board.  I'm afraid we get too many visitors from upcoming opponents that just want to talk smack instead of having a good discussion.

SHG is good.  The best downstate?  Who knows, we're in the semis and coming north to meet the Celtics, so I guess we're the best by default if nothing else.  We're 11-1, and the loss was a three-point loss to Montini on the last play of the game with both of our best defensive backs on the sidelines with leg cramps.  

I hear Providence has a great running game.  We heard the same about Cahokia (supposedly the fastest team in the State), Peoria Richwoods and Bloomington.  Let just say they weren't great running teams the days they faced SHG's defense.

Whatever, we'll see on Saturday.  Sounds like the weather will be cold but otherwise fine - Cyclone weather.  Give us a fast track with light winds and you might get a surprise or two.

Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#4 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (basil991 @ Nov 18 2008, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wondering what kind of game we will get this Sat. Provi has not changed much in the way of style, they said this was going to be a down year but the results don't show that. What about this years's SHG compared to last years?

Welcome to our board basil. This years SHG team overall is better than last year. The defense is better this year while on offense we still do like to throw but we have a better balance between run and pass than we did a year ago. The Providence defense is one of the better units in the state this year and the Celtics are much more physical than anyone we have played yet. I look for a very competitive game with both teams having a chance to win heading into the 4th qtr.
Good luck to you and may both teams have an injury free game.

#5 shgtbftr

shgtbftr

Forum Member

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

I have seen every play of every SHG game this year and just keep waiting for a wheel to come off. There may have been a couple hiccups, but after week one, I would say SHG has been extremely good. Leadership is good. John Lantz is All State, if not better. Most exciting player since Peterman and then we must go back a while in the CS8. Gary Wilson is tougher to tackle than he looks. His arrogance (mostly just confidence) helps him play the game. He knows he is good, thus he has no worry. Dondanville is successful as long as he stays within his talents. Needs to make quicker decisions sometimes, but he is still a young QB. Probably not given enough credit for his athleticism. Last week (windy) was his lone bad throwing game this year. Let's hope (pray) that he is as good as ever Saturday. Chris Cox has been SHG's best defender recently. He rebounded from a very shaky early season. Kicking game is good but not as good as it was earlier in the year. DEFENSE has been superb. The special teams are very good. As usual, SHG plays like a team, no individuals. One thing that SHG has avoided all year is a 'me attitude'. Hopefully no players or parents get the big head and screw this up for everyone. That is a worry on a team with such talented young men that sometimes get used to the limelight and they don't like to give it up. Besides that, good luck guys. If you play your best, I think you will be victorious. If you do not come home with a victory, say your thanks for a fantastic year. It has been a heck of a run.

#6 basil991

basil991

Forum Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the welcome boys, not interested in talking smack, just football. I would be very surprised if anyone at SHG was afraid of PC, that was not my intention. I think SHG is a quality program that will give my Celtics one heck of a game. Just looking for interested matchups to watch for. I was down to the game last year and was very impressed with the whole program and so was everyone else from Provi. I can't wait to see what you do with our running game and what we do with your passing game.
QUOTE (OldFan @ Nov 18 2008, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ispaiu, you should be ashamed of yourself.  It was a fair question and deserves a fair nswer - besides all he has to do is go to MaxPreps an see exactly what sort of guns we're bringing to the fght.

Besides they already have the tapes.

Basil-

Welcome to the board.  I'm afraid we get too many visitors from upcoming opponents that just want to talk smack instead of having a good discussion.

SHG is good.  The best downstate?  Who knows, we're in the semis and coming north to meet the Celtics, so I guess we're the best by default if nothing else.  We're 11-1, and the loss was a three-point loss to Montini on the last play of the game with both of our best defensive backs on the sidelines with leg cramps.  

I hear Providence has a great running game.  We heard the same about Cahokia (supposedly the fastest team in the State), Peoria Richwoods and Bloomington.  Let just say they weren't great running teams the days they faced SHG's defense.

Whatever, we'll see on Saturday.  Sounds like the weather will be cold but otherwise fine - Cyclone weather.  Give us a fast track with light winds and you might get a surprise or two.

#7 jhs81

jhs81

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Golf,JHS, Raiders,and Illini,football,Harleys.

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

Basil, I think you'll find most of the posters on this sight are good guys saint.gif . They are reseptive to constructive comments, and have a good sense of hummor. I'm a Jacksonville high supporter,we play in the same conference as SHG. I can tell you that you have got your hands full. The Lantz kid is a great ball player, if you want to beat these guys know where he is at all times,but while you try to stop him the Wilson kid will pick your pocket. This is a well coached football team with a powerful offense, and a defense that flys to the ball. I'll be rooting for my confernce,but I would like to wish your boys luck. Play hard play safe.

#8 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (basil991 @ Nov 18 2008, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Basil, welcome. Watching last year's game was interesting as it was a tale of two games. PROVI dominated the first half. Punched SHG in the mouth time and again. The second half favored SHG. I expect that this year's game will be a tale of your O-line and our D-line. We are bigger and nastier and deeper than last year. Your Ward sounds like a ton, but we have a bunch who like to mix it up, including a HUGE sophomore. The game will be close. May the best team win.
"Reclaim the Gold."

#9 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:15 PM

Amazing how easily impressed the Chicago newsies are.  Catch the following paragraph on NLP's Pete Houlihan:

The comparison takes hold because Houlihan has returned two punts, a kickoff and an interception for touchdowns, has caught a pass for another touchdown and has been a special teams dynamo.

Is everybody else as (yaawwwnnnn) 'impressed' as I am?

Let's see - that's five less kickoff TDs and 16 less TD passes than Lantz.  But the other guy DOES lead 2-1 in punt runbacks.  The Providence kid shouldn't let it worry him, though.  If all goes well, he should have several catch-up chances on kickoffs on Saturday.
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#10 Steve

Steve

THE

• Admin
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

Lantz versus Houlihan will be a fun matchup to watch.  Both are great athletes and like the ball in their hands to make big plays.

#11 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:21 PM

Basil:

Here's how I'd answer your question about SHG and I sure hope I'm correct.  I see two major changes from last year:

1)I think we are a much better team on both sides of the ball.  The skill on offense from last year is a year better.  The O line is bigger and more athletic.  The defense is mobile and very interchangeable.  Some teams put 7 or 8 fresh faces (one-wayers) on D and we put a dozen or so. Seems to work.

2)We will not be surprised at how well and how hard you play. I think the 2-30 or 3-29 bracket matchup, whatever it was, might have had us looking down the road just a bit(despite our coach warning that you play the toughest schedule in Illinois).  In any event, we'd been used to having our way and you matched us and then some.  Took us a half to adjust and that wasn't enough with a solid team like NLP.  We will expect for you to come out hard and stay after us for 48 minutes. That mindset will help us prepare.

Thanks for coming on.

#12 jdurham

jdurham

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Nov 20 2008, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amazing how easily impressed the Chicago newsies are.  Catch the following paragraph on NLP's Pete Houlihan:

The comparison takes hold because Houlihan has returned two punts, a kickoff and an interception for touchdowns, has caught a pass for another touchdown and has been a special teams dynamo.

Let's see - that's five less kickoff TDs and 16 less TD passes than Lantz.  But the other guy DOES lead 2-1 in punt runbacks.  The Providence kid shouldn't let it worry him, though.  If all goes well, he should have several catch-up chances on kickoffs on Saturday.

Yeah, I read that article too.  I know Houlihan is a great athlete, but those numbers are not that great.  I can't believe the kids call him "Devin Hester".  The comparison doesn't even make sense.  And then this professional writer decides to make it the center about which he write his article??  How lame.  Out of fairness, Houlihan's numbers are better than Hester's this year.  But, if you think about Hester's awesome return year...it is not even close!  (Same thing for his awesome years with Miami in college).

I love this Hester video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2SpdESsTXo
The return for a TD vs Duke is still one of my favorite plays of all time.

Edited by jdurham, 21 November 2008 - 09:35 AM.

#13 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (jdurham @ Nov 21 2008, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I read that article too.  I know Houlihan is a great athlete, but those numbers are not that great.  I can't believe the kids call him "Devin Hester".  The comparison doesn't even make sense.  And then this professional writer decides to make it the center about which he write his article??  How lame.  Out of fairness, Houlihan's numbers are better than Hester's this year.  But, if you think about Hester's awesome return year...it is not even close!  (Same thing for his awesome years with Miami in college).

I'm not doubting the kids ability one bit, because reports are that he's a very good runner.  However,  for all the talk of being Devin Hester like or whatever, it would seem odd that the Sun-Times did not consider him in their top 34 running backs of the Chicago area, released today:  http://yourseason.suntimes.com/football/12...ea-team.article

OL Ward made the team and OL Lembke made honrable mention, so that says a lot about the strength of their team. What it says about Hanrihan, I don't know. You'd almost think he'd be honororable mention by default with so many yards. Anyway, it's a mystery and we'll see for ourselves tomorrow.

#14 ChicagoCyclone

ChicagoCyclone

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:45 PM

RI-DIC-U-LOUS!

Posted Image

#15 Cardiff Giant

Cardiff Giant

Forum Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (cyclops @ Nov 21 2008, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jdurham @ Nov 21 2008, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not doubting the kids ability one bit, because reports are that he's a very good runner.  However,  for all the talk of being Devin Hester like or whatever, it would seem odd that the Sun-Times did not consider him in their top 34 running backs of the Chicago area, released today:  http://yourseason.suntimes.com/football/12...ea-team.article

OL Ward made the team and OL Lembke made honrable mention, so that says a lot about the strength of their team. What it says about Hanrihan, I don't know. You'd almost think he'd be honororable mention by default with so many yards. Anyway, it's a mystery and we'll see for ourselves tomorrow.

I don't know if you figured this out after the game or not.  But the Hester article was about CB/KR/PR and sometimes WR Pete Houlihan, who made honorable mention in the article and caught the long touchdown pass in the game.  Tim Hanrahan is the running back, was also surprised he didn't make honorable mention though.

#16 gusdog

gusdog

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

I would seem that many (in the press) have confused Houlihan & Hanrahan.

#17 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:38 PM

I don't know if you figured this out after the game or not.  But the Hester article was about CB/KR/PR and sometimes WR Pete Houlihan, who made honorable mention in the article and caught the long touchdown pass in the game.  Tim Hanrahan is the running back, was also surprised he didn't make honorable mention though.
[/quote]

Yep, I stand corrected after reading Saturday papers.  Houlihan was perhaps the best player we'd seen all year.  Hanrihan, on the other hand, probably should have at least been area Honorable Mention, although little chance to showcase that Saturday.

#18 ChicagoCyclone

ChicagoCyclone

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

Houlihan has some serious wheels. He was really movin' on that TD reception.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users