• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

THE

• Admin
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:05 PM

Edgytim.com has picked Providence to win this weekend's semifinal game.

http://www.edgytim.com

#2 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:27 PM

Too bad he has to be wrong - at least he probably got the other bracket right.

Calpreps picks SHG:  http://www.calpreps.com/cgi-bin/2008/cptou...nt=Illinois,_6A

I like theirs better.
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#3 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:44 PM

If my memory serves me correctly, Edgy picked against us in 2005 and 2006 almost all the time, especially in the late rounds.
"Reclaim the Gold."

#4 willie wingate

willie wingate

Forum Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (JFLdadGHS87 @ Nov 20 2008, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If my memory serves me correctly, Edgy picked against us in 2005 and 2006 almost all the time, especially in the late rounds.

"Edgy" is certainly not always right ....... The level and quality of competition that the respective teams have faced, however, is worlds apart ........ Rock Island, who was supposed to be the #1 ranked team in 6A, did not belong on the same field with Providence. Providence is quick and strong, as always. They have a great kicking game in Pat Wright. The Cyclones will have to pass. They will not have any chance beating the Celtics without doing so and doing so effectively. The Cyclones offensive line also better pay attention to Steve Lasky. He is a load. Quick and strong. He benches 440 lbs. Providence will run and score running the ball. Sacred Heart will score through the air. Final score: Providence 31 Sacred Heart 21

#5 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (willie wingate @ Nov 20 2008, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Edgy" is certainly not always right ....... The level and quality of competition that the respective teams have faced, however, is worlds apart ........ Rock Island, who was supposed to be the #1 ranked team in 6A, did not belong on the same field with Providence. Providence is quick and strong, as always. They have a great kicking game in Pat Wright. The Cyclones will have to pass. They will not have any chance beating the Celtics without doing so and doing so effectively. The Cyclones offensive line also better pay attention to Steve Lasky. He is a load. Quick and strong. He benches 440 lbs. Providence will run and score running the ball. Sacred Heart will score through the air. Final score: Providence 31 Sacred Heart 21

Willie, welcome. If you add Griffin to the mix, as in Sacred Heart Griffin, then the final score is SHG 34, NLP 24. Our girls were good, but not good enough to beat NLP alone.

Edited by JFLdadGHS87, 20 November 2008 - 07:32 PM.

"Reclaim the Gold."

#6 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:32 PM

All.... Hey Willie, just left a message at SHG to go ahead and forfeit the game. That will give your Celtics an extra week of practice before they go to Champaign.... Ratsy

#7 willie wingate

willie wingate

Forum Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (JFLdadGHS87 @ Nov 20 2008, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Willie, welcome. If you add Griffin to the mix, as in Sacred Heart Griffin, then the final score is SHG 34, NLP 24. Our girls were good, but not good enough to beat NLP alone.

#8 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

Another thought: Great players step up. I know NLP has some great players. Please continue to underestimate the SHG O and D lines and our position players. nonono.gif  gocycs.gif
"Reclaim the Gold."

#9 ChicagoCyclone

ChicagoCyclone

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

As is often the case, you hear barely a mention of SHG up here in Chicago until they play in, and win in, Champaign.

Posted Image

#10 willie wingate

willie wingate

Forum Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (JFLdadGHS87 @ Nov 20 2008, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another thought: Great players step up. I know NLP has some great players. Please continue to underestimate the SHG O and D lines and our position players. nonono.gif  gocycs.gif

Providenc has some very good players as does Springfield Sacred Heart Griffin. Who is disputing that? Not me. I am not at all underestimating anyones lines. What I will tell you is that Providence WILL run and Springfield Sacred Heart Griffin WILL pass. With all due respect, Providence has faced Lincoln-Way East, Loyola, Mt. Carmel, Fenwick, St. Rita, Brother Rice, and Joliet Catholic. I would venture to guess that a couple of those teams have as good, if not better, lines than Springfield Sacred Heart Griffin. They are two quality programs. It is a shame that the public school mentality will not allow two private schools to meet in any of the state championship games though, isn't it?

#11 cycs93

cycs93

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

Providenc has some very good players as does Springfield Sacred Heart Griffin. Who is disputing that? Not me. I am not at all underestimating anyones lines. What I will tell you is that Providence WILL run and Springfield Sacred Heart Griffin WILL pass. With all due respect, Providence has faced Lincoln-Way East, Loyola, Mt. Carmel, Fenwick, St. Rita, Brother Rice, and Joliet Catholic. I would venture to guess that a couple of those teams have as good, if not better, lines than Springfield Sacred Heart Griffin. They are two quality programs. It is a shame that the public school mentality will not allow two private schools to meet in any of the state championship games though, isn't it?
[/quote]

I respect your opinion and I understand why you came to that score outcome.  I have already given many thoughts on this game, and one conclusion I have come up with is that high school football sometimes can be very hard to predict.  We don't know how effective our pass will be against providence and we don't know how effective their running game will be against griffin.  Not many people besides those few in chicago could predict a blowout of rock island.  However, back in 06 many people in chi-town predicted Woodstock to dominate because of their massive offensive and defensive lines and shg dominated and easily could of put 40+ points if not for the conservative play calling because of the lead they had.  We just don't know until gameday! lets go cycs!! my prediction even its just an educated guess is the senior dominated cyclones over providence 28-24

#12 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (willie wingate @ Nov 20 2008, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not taking offense or seeking to give any, but your replies show how little you know about the Cyclones.  You're parroting the Chicago media line, smaller, only pass, blah, blah, blah.  They don't believe in research either.

How about a few fact?  

SHG has one of the most balanced attacks in the state with 27 passing and 30 rushing TDs.  We have a runner who is about 200 yards less than Hanrahan, with twice as many touchdowns  on 133 LESS carries.

While Providence brags all over the Chiago Tribune about "Hester" Houlihan with his kickoff return TD, 2 punt return TDs one interception TD and one pass reception TD, we have John Lantz, who:

1)Has SIX kickoff return TDs, tying the IHSA season record and when added to last year, breaking the IHSA career record.;
2) Has a punt return TD and an interception TD of 103 yards;
3)Has seventeen passing TDs;
4) Is tied for third in the State (with SHG's Chris Cox) in interceptions; and,
5)Is #1 in the State in Pass reception yardage Iwe also jave #7

Tim Dondanville is the #5 passer in the state with about 2200 passing yards and 25 TDs with a 71% completion rate.

We've already shut down the supposedly fastest team in the State on a running clock.  Our "D" lines (yeah, plural) eat "great running teams" for breakfast.  And they're just as big as your guys (Ward will have to block guys his own size for a change) and probably a good bit faster.

Clearly you DON'T respect your opponent or you'd have taken the time to actually learn something about them before throwing around predictions.  

I don't do projections, but I'll offer one.  Any basketball players on the Celtics will be available for practice on Sunday.

#13 willie wingate

willie wingate

Forum Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Nov 20 2008, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not taking offense or seeking to give any, but your replies show how little you know about the Cyclones.  You're parroting the Chicago media line, smaller, only pass, blah, blah, blah.  They don't believe in research either.

How about a few fact?  

SHG has one of the most balanced attacks in the state with 27 passing and 30 rushing TDs.  We have a runner who is about 200 yards less than Hanrahan, with twice as many touchdowns  on 133 LESS carries.

While Providence brags all over the Chiago Tribune about "Hester" Houlihan with his kickoff return TD, 2 punt return TDs one interception TD and one pass reception TD, we have John Lantz, who:

1)Has SIX kickoff return TDs, tying the IHSA season record and when added to last year, breaking the IHSA career record.;

Tim Dondanville is the #5 passer in the state with about 2200 passing yards and 25 TDs with a 71% completion rate.

We've already shut down the supposedly fastest team in the State on a running clock.  Our "D" lines (yeah, plural) eat "great running teams" for breakfast.  And they're just as big as your guys (Ward will have to block guys his own size for a change) and probably a good bit faster.

Clearly you DON'T respect your opponent or you'd have taken the time to actually learn something about them before throwing around predictions.  

I don't do projections, but I'll offer one.  Any basketball players on the Celtics will be available for practice on Sunday.

I am sorry that you took offense to my pretty benign comments. By yours, you really expose your lack of information about Providence Catholic and the nature of the competition that they have played this and every year.
Who was the best team that the Cyclones have circled around this year? Who is this supposed fastest running team in the State? (Please note that Rock Island had three or four young men who were supposed "speedsters" (4.4 forty men) and ask them how much ground that they gained last Saturday?)
  When did I say pass, pass, pass, blah, blah , blah? Face it; the statistics do NOT account for who played whom. They don't. The strength of each teams schedule will be a factor, in fact a huge factor on Saturday afternoon. If you don't think so then you are and will be sadly mistaken. You can and have "rattled" off all kinds of statistics. You are comparing apples to oranges. Ask your coaches who is/will be the best team that the Cyclones will have faced this year. I know the answer as do you: Providence Catholic ....... If you asked the Providence coaches the same question the answer would not be Springfield Sacred Heart Griffin.
  That does not take away the fact that the Cyclones are a very good football team and certainly have a chance to win on Saturday. They certainly do. But before you go off "half-cocked" about saying that any of the Providence football players that play basketball will not miss practice on Sunday, you may be right. You just might have the wrong sport.

p.s. Pat Ward has already faced defensive lineman both bigger and stronger than those that the Cyclones will offer up (Mt. Carmel, St. Rita, Loyola, Lincoln-Way East, Fenwick, Joliet Catholic, and Bfother Rice) Also, why does your own poll show that about 60% of your fans think that Providence will win?

#14 ChicagoCyclone

ChicagoCyclone

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:19 PM

Most schools have up years, down years. Some, however, are nearly always up. SHG, NLP, JCA, Mt. Carmel are among the ones that are nearly always up. This isn't necessarily due to a dearth of talent. If performance was the result of talent alone, 25-35 year runs of winning would not be possible. In years where the quality of the athletes lives up to the vision and strategy of the coaches, teams have special years (SHG of 2005 and 2006 and many such runs for NLP).

Unfotunatley for NLP, this is not one of those teams for them, and it just happens to be for SHG.

Cyclones roll this weekend in a game that will not be as close as many of the charitable prognosticators on this board seem to think.

SHG 35 - NLP 10

Posted Image

#15 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:39 PM

Its easy tio get the results you want when you only choose to see the facts that support your argument.

Note:  Check Rock Island's resuktes in the last three years IHSA track finals.  Then check Cahokia's.

#16 cycs93

cycs93

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

Oldfan I don't think he was meaning anything bad by his post, maybe a little misinformed.  Its true, providence coaches would say that shg will not be the toughest game on their schedule.  However, depending on the outcome of the game, they could change their minds, we don't know yet.  Also, Providence has faced huge lineman in the CCL.  Hopefully, we give a great showing saturday and come out with a win, this is a huge game!

#17 ispaiu

ispaiu

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:44 AM

Old Fan, wasn't it you who rebuked me just yesterday for my welcome to Basil? I say let's let the boys play and let the chips fall where they may. Should be a good game & am looking forward to it. See you all there. If Sako shows I'm still buying the little fella a Vess Cola at halftime. Hopefully our guys will play hard and tough on the big stage.
I offer absolutely zero educated insight

#18 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (willie wingate @ Nov 21 2008, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (OldFan @ Nov 20 2008, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about a few fact?  

I am sorry that you took offense to my pretty benign comments. By yours, you really expose your lack of information about Providence Catholic and the nature of the competition that they have played this and every year.
Who was the best team that the Cyclones have circled around this year? Who is this supposed fastest running team in the State? (Please note that Rock Island had three or four young men who were supposed "speedsters" (4.4 forty men) and ask them how much ground that they gained last Saturday?)
  When did I say pass, pass, pass, blah, blah , blah? Face it; the statistics do NOT account for who played whom. They don't. The strength of each teams schedule will be a factor, in fact a huge factor on Saturday afternoon. If you don't think so then you are and will be sadly mistaken. You can and have "rattled" off all kinds of statistics. You are comparing apples to oranges. Ask your coaches who is/will be the best team that the Cyclones will have faced this year. I know the answer as do you: Providence Catholic ....... If you asked the Providence coaches the same question the answer would not be Springfield Sacred Heart Griffin.
  That does not take away the fact that the Cyclones are a very good football team and certainly have a chance to win on Saturday. They certainly do. But before you go off "half-cocked" about saying that any of the Providence football players that play basketball will not miss practice on Sunday, you may be right. You just might have the wrong sport.

p.s. Pat Ward has already faced defensive lineman both bigger and stronger than those that the Cyclones will offer up (Mt. Carmel, St. Rita, Loyola, Lincoln-Way East, Fenwick, Joliet Catholic, and Bfother Rice) Also, why does your own poll show that about 60% of your fans think that Providence will win?

All.... umm uhh "benign" I kind of like that.... Ratsy

#19 jhs81

jhs81

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Golf,JHS, Raiders,and Illini,football,Harleys.

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

Ignore these big city experts,and go up to Chicago and put something on them MR CLEAN couldn't get off. A real BIG butt whoopin. Then let's give the Chicago area to Wisconsin. oh_yeah.gif

#20 basil991

basil991

Forum Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (jhs81 @ Nov 21 2008, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ignore these big city experts,and go up to Chicago and put something on them MR CLEAN couldn't get off. A real BIG butt whoopin. Then let's give the Chicago area to Wisconsin. oh_yeah.gif

I agree with part of your statement. "Big city experts", as much as they would like to think of themselves that way they are not. I love looking back over the season and seeing how many times they have counted my Celtics out! Truth is I think SHG and PC are pretty evenly matched. I would very surprised if either side wound up getting a "Big butt whoopin", both teams are too good in different ways. The key is whether one side or the other can take away one of the others weapons. SHG has shown it has a good balanced offense, if Provi forces them to be one dimensional it could be a problem for the Cyclones. Provi is not as balanced and if SHG win at the LOS the celtics are in trouble. Hope everyone is healthy and plays the game of the lives, it will be the last one for a bunch of great kids regardless of which team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users