• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 ispaiu

ispaiu

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:56 AM

I'm with JHS81. Edgy can go take a flying leap.
I offer absolutely zero educated insight

#22 willie wingate

willie wingate

Forum Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (ChicagoCyclone @ Nov 20 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most schools have up years, down years. Some, however, are nearly always up. SHG, NLP, JCA, Mt. Carmel are among the ones that are nearly always up. This isn't necessarily due to a dearth of talent. If performance was the result of talent alone, 25-35 year runs of winning would not be possible. In years where the quality of the athletes lives up to the vision and strategy of the coaches, teams have special years (SHG of 2005 and 2006 and many such runs for NLP).

Unfotunatley for NLP, this is not one of those teams for them, and it just happens to be for SHG.

Cyclones roll this weekend in a game that will not be as close as many of the charitable prognosticators on this board seem to think.

SHG 35 - NLP 10

If Sprinfield beats Providence by 25 points, I along with countless others will be stunned !!!!!! I believe that includes you as well. We shall see if an "average" Providence team can beat an "outstanding " Springfield" team. We will know by 3:42 p.m. tomorrow. All I can tell you is that the Cyclones better be well prepared for a tornado. Strap "em on boys ......

#23 Newbie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (willie wingate @ Nov 20 2008, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ask your coaches who is/will be the best team that the Cyclones will have faced this year. I know the answer as do you: Providence Catholic .......    If you asked the Providence coaches the same question the answer would not be Springfield Sacred Heart Griffin.

So what does that prove? I don't know much about football, so the stats mean nothing, to me.  
Allow me a half-baked analogy - If you'd ask Gen. Custer a similar question the day before his death, whould he say that Sitting Bull at Little Big Horn was going to be the greatest challenge?  

Before you came, there was some guy saying that Bloomington has better team, or better chances, or whatever..  and before him  - some other guy was talking up some other team.  SHG is a good football team from a small school in a small town in the middle of nowhere. They will be playing on your field, tomorrow.  I think, they will win.  I am one of the fans who make up the 100% of the fans that matter.  The 60% you quoted  - do not. Who cares what they think?

Will you be back on this forum on Sunday, if the SHG wins?

#24 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

It's obviously been too long since one of those clowns from Cahokia, North Chicago or Bishop Mac came on to the board to really get us riled up.  Basil and Willie are too reasonable, not that it keeps us from wanting to whup somebody's butt on the board.

I think it's great when the other side comes on. Hey, I hope the NLP team and whole Celtic nation are thinking like Willie, that they've seen the toughest teams in the state already and should handle us. That's what makes it fun.

PS:  I don't know what poll they're referring to, but it couldn't have been one of our fans.

#25 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

As I recall, last year's championship game was between JCA and Lemont.   I also seem to recall Providence being ousted in the third round by NCHS, but I could be wrong.

Last year, anyway, they certainly weren't the best team in 6A - though I'm sure they were in their own minds.

Admittedly last year's JCA team was exceptional even by their standards.  Still, disrespecting any team at this level is a bad idea.  I wish i could believe the real Celtics players were as cocksure as the non-players who post on mesage boards.

NLP's coach was on Sam Madona's AM Springfie;d show this morning.  He 'sounded' properly respectful - but somehow I couldn't help but feel he was putting on an act.  I hope so, anyway.
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#26 basil991

basil991

Forum Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Nov 21 2008, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I recall, last year's championship game was between JCA and Lemont.   I also seem to recall Providence being ousted in the third round by NCHS, but I could be wrong.

Last year, anyway, they certainly weren't the best team in 6A - though I'm sure they were in their own minds.

Admittedly last year's JCA team was exceptional even by their standards.  Still, disrespecting any team at this level is a bad idea.  I wish i could believe the real Celtics players were as cocksure as the non-players who post on mesage boards.

NLP's coach was on Sam Madona's AM Springfie;d show this morning.  He 'sounded' properly respectful - but somehow I couldn't help but feel he was putting on an act.  I hope so, anyway.

I can assure you that my son and rest of Provi team are confident of one thing, that they can play with anyone in this state. Last years win against SHG by about a touchdown could have gone the other way very easily, and that is what they remember. I have not heard one of these kids talk about Lemont or state, the focus is on SHG and has been since last Sat. There are no backpatters on this team, but what is surprising to us in the stands is how confident(not cocky)this group is and has been all year even during the losses. Anyone who is familar with PC Football and has been around this team will tell you that there is something different here. That quiet confidence that you see in championship teams. Nobody on this team knows who will win, but everybody on the team knows that they can.

#27 Teetime

Teetime

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (basil991 @ Nov 21 2008, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can assure you that my son and rest of Provi team are confident of one thing, that they can play with anyone in this state. Last years win against SHG by about a touchdown could have gone the other way very easily, and that is what they remember. I have not heard one of these kids talk about Lemont or state, the focus is on SHG and has been since last Sat. There are no backpatters on this team, but what is surprising to us in the stands is how confident(not cocky)this group is and has been all year even during the losses. Anyone who is familar with PC Football and has been around this team will tell you that there is something different here. That quiet confidence that you see in championship teams. Nobody on this team knows who will win, but everybody on the team knows that they can.

Exactly as it ought to be.

For every team that reaches a state semi-final game.

#28 ChicagoCyclone

ChicagoCyclone

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (willie wingate @ Nov 21 2008, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ChicagoCyclone @ Nov 20 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most schools have up years, down years. Some, however, are nearly always up. SHG, NLP, JCA, Mt. Carmel are among the ones that are nearly always up. This isn't necessarily due to a dearth of talent. If performance was the result of talent alone, 25-35 year runs of winning would not be possible. In years where the quality of the athletes lives up to the vision and strategy of the coaches, teams have special years (SHG of 2005 and 2006 and many such runs for NLP).

Unfotunatley for NLP, this is not one of those teams for them, and it just happens to be for SHG.

Cyclones roll this weekend in a game that will not be as close as many of the charitable prognosticators on this board seem to think.

SHG 35 - NLP 10

If Sprinfield beats Providence by 25 points, I along with countless others will be stunned !!!!!! I believe that includes you as well. We shall see if an "average" Providence team can beat an "outstanding " Springfield" team. We will know by 3:42 p.m. tomorrow. All I can tell you is that the Cyclones better be well prepared for a tornado. Strap "em on boys ......

Yah, you'll be stunned, but offer me something I can come collecting on. If SHG beats PC by 25 or more, will you agree to don an SHG-colored paint job and wardrobe and head down to Champaign for the final?

Posted Image

#29 Newbie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (basil991 @ Nov 21 2008, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there is something different here.

That is interesting.  Different from?..  when?  where?

#30 GHSGRAD77

GHSGRAD77

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

Just got back from the game, and what a game!

I was sure that WillieWingate would have already posted to tell us again how an average NLP team would take care of an outstanding Springfield team.

What a shock!

#31 Newbie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (willie wingate @ Nov 20 2008, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who was the best team that the Cyclones have circled around this year?

Who was the best team that the Providence have circled around this year?  

You have all day Sunday to come back here and offer your congratualtions.   rockon.gif

#32 ob6of9

ob6of9

Forum Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

The best team they played all year was Mt. Carmel.   The team  who played against them the best
this year was Springfield Sacred Heart Griffin.  This is said with no disrespect to Springfield because
they proved without a doubt they were better than Providence.  Providence was fortunate to catch
Mt. Carmel on a wet field in a driving rain early in the season.  Had they not one that game they would not have even made the playoffs.  I was very impressed with Springfield Sacred Heart.  They could have competed very favorably in the Catholic Blue this year.  You all should be proud of your team.  Best of Luck next week against Lemont.  It should be a great game.  I would give Springfield the advantage.  I hope you are successful next week.

#33 ispaiu

ispaiu

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:53 PM

OB you're OK
I offer absolutely zero educated insight

#34 chgoalm

chgoalm

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:45 PM

Could be a quiet week over on the Edgy board.  16 teams will suit up next week in Champaign, but none will be from the Chicago Catholic League, the East Suburban Catholic, or the Dupage Valley Conference.  When's the last time that happened?  Ever?

There's also a good chance downstate teams (TRUE downstate teams, as in south of I-80...heck from I-74 South) win 6 of the 8 titles (7 is a longshot, but who knows maybe Casey Westfield pulls one out of the hat in 2A). Downstate titles are guaranteed in 1A (Triopia or Stark County) and 3A (Carthage or Duquoin).  Bloomington Central Catholic in 4A, Metamorain 5A, East St. Louis in 7A, I see as favorites in their games...oh, and some team from Springfield in 6A.   clap.gif sneaky.gif

#35 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:49 PM

I doubt we'll see any more of WeeWinnie.

OB6of9 Is like MANY PCA supporters I met this day.  As many of you know, I use a walker at games - it's a first rate PITA, but the alternative would be sitting at home by the radio - unacceptable.

NUMEROUS Providence folks offered to help me today, from the gentleman who offered to find me a ride to the bleachers, to the two guys who offered to find me a chair so I could watch from the track (both offers gratefully declined).  Several others offered me help at various points.  And a number of PCA supporters wished us luck next week as we left.  I am sad to say that I'm not sure I could have been so gracious after such a painful defeat.

The PCA fans are a class act.  If they come visiting again in the future, I for one will welcome them.

#36 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (chgoalm @ Nov 22 2008, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could be a quiet week over on the Edgy board.  16 teams will suit up next week in Champaign, but none will be from the Chicago Catholic League, the East Suburban Catholic, or the Dupage Valley Conference.  When's the last time that happened?  Ever?

Do you have a Mt. Carmel/Hinsdale score yet?  IHSA ScoreZone doesn't.

#37 gusdog

gusdog

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:59 PM

Hinsdale Central 24, Mt. Carmel 21, final

#38 chgoalm

chgoalm

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Nov 23 2008, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (chgoalm @ Nov 22 2008, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have a Mt. Carmel/Hinsdale score yet?  IHSA ScoreZone doesn't.

Hinsdale Central won 24-21.  Close bracket, many games were decided by 3 points or less, including Belleville East losing by 2 to Brother Rice, who lost by 3 to Hinsdale Central.  And to think what East St. Louis did to their conference foe East...wow looks like the East Side may be back.

Edited by chgoalm, 23 November 2008 - 12:01 AM.

#39 Steve

Steve

THE

• Admin
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:11 AM

No CCL teams heading to Champaign.  I would not have bet on that at the start of the playoffs...

#40 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:20 PM

Sakamoto officially picked Lemont to win the 6A championship today in the Tribune. Thank goodness.  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif
"Reclaim the Gold."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users