• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:57 PM

Bob: Thanks for picking against SHG again. The Cyclone Nation is appreciative for your expert analysis for high school football in the STATE OF ILLINOIS. Look at a map please! The State does not end at I-80. Your expert analysis that was broadcast on Comcast Channel 64 last night was superb. The conversation about the 6A championship was about Lemont returning to the title game and the fact that they lost last year to Joliet Catholic. You did not even mention the name of the team Lemont was playing today. Go to ihsa.org and you will see that SPRINGFIELD SACRED HEART-GRIFFIN won 37-15. That is three championships in four years. SHG won in Class 6A. Please pass the bowl of RESPECT with the gravy and stuffing, please, you TURKEY! pbjtime.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif   P.S. Did I mention that SHG won another championship against a Chicago-area team. gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  P.S.S. Bob, the Cyclones won in Class 6A, did you know that?  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif
"Reclaim the Gold."

#2 jdurham

jdurham

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (JFLdadGHS87 @ Nov 29 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bob: Thanks for picking against SHG again. The Cyclone Nation is appreciative for your expert analysis for high school football in the STATE OF ILLINOIS. Look at a map please! The State does not end at I-80. Your expert analysis that was broadcast on Comcast Channel 64 last night was superb. The conversation about the 6A championship was about Lemont returning to the title game and the fact that they lost last year to Joliet Catholic. You did not even mention the name of the team Lemont was playing today. Go to ihsa.org and you will see that SPRINGFIELD SACRED HEART-GRIFFIN won 37-15. That is three championships in four years. SHG won in Class 6A. Please pass the bowl of RESPECT with the gravy and stuffing, please, you TURKEY! pbjtime.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif   P.S. Did I mention that SHG won another championship against a Chicago-area team. gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  P.S.S. Bob, the Cyclones won in Class 6A, did you know that?  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif

Not only is the dude clueless and poor at his job, he is straight up disrespectful to not even mention one of the teams in a game.  This is more than idiocy.  What a jerk!

#3 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:02 AM

He's a hack who basically prostitutes himself to sell more papers.  Since the (declining) circulation of the Tribune is mostly localized north of I-80, so is his vision.  

Just enjoy it.  All of Northeastern Illinois is fuming at five of eight Championships being "stolen" by the Souhern barbarians.

Add to that the IPHSA ninnies who will spend the next three days whining about the papists taking four of eight championships and you get a lot of really pathetic weepers and moaners.

Sounds good to me  pbjtime.gif  pbjtime.gif  

gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#4 jdurham

jdurham

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Nov 30 2008, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's a hack who basically prostitutes himself to sell more papers.  Since the (declining) circulation of the Tribune is mostly localized north of I-80, so is his vision.  

Just enjoy it.  All of Northeastern Illinois is fuming at five of eight Championships being "stolen" by the Souhern barbarians.

Add to that the IPHSA ninnies who will spend the next three days whining about the papists taking four of eight championships and you get a lot of really pathetic weepers and moaners.

Sounds good to me  pbjtime.gif  pbjtime.gif  

gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif

Half of the championships going to private schools sounds fair to me.
I still wish Metamora would have knocked off a Wheaton team, even though it is a private school.  Of course, I don't really have a problem with public schools winning.

#5 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:39 AM

At least EdgyTim mnaged to backpedal in time to avoid even more embarassment.

#6 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:24 AM

You know, here is an evil thought . . .

People are always saying you can never teach the media a lesson - they will say what they will say.

I disagree.

If you don't like a media personality, figure out who some of their biggest advertisers (or sponsors) are, then when you need to utilize a product or service they provide, go to their competitor.  Ten go back ant TELL said advertiser/sponsor WHY you went to the competition instead of them.  Bet that would get attention real fast.

Don't know how that would impact a larger market like Sakamoto's, but it would probably play in a smaller pond like ours.

#7 captain'00

captain'00

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:34 PM

speaking of "our" media (springfield)

IT'S ABOUT dang TIME SHG GOT SOME RECOGNITION IN THIS STUPID PAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when chatham won their title is was like a redskin love fest that made me want to throw up.  after that, the years SHG was close to winning state or had impressive regular seasons, with impressive playoff runs, the paper never batted an eye.  there may have been one article about their season.  of course the thought always was, "well, when we win the big one...then we'll get the recognition".  we won the big one, i have the sports section at home.  thanks for the front page of the sports section, and the one article, but that was it.  do you think the second one was different?  hell no!  same lame coverage.

this program hasnt lost a conference game in 7 YEARS!!!!  they should print a separate edition just for that accomplishment, but that won't happen either.

then this morning it was like Christmas had come early.  at the top of the front page of the paper there's dominic walton, arms raised to the heavens.  on the front of the city/state section, there's the bus of victors pulling into west campus with a great article about coach macmahon.  then the sports section - i'm reading rupert's article and realize that burns wrote one too.  i think to myself, "wow!  this is some nice coverage."  i go to find the continuation of rupert's article and realize that the entire sports section is pretty much SHG, and it's about dang time!

this doesn't go for just the football team either, the soccer team has three state titles, and quite a few runner up trophies.  from what i understand, their coverage is pretty shotty as well.

i don't pay attention to the coverage for other schools as much, but if lanphier wins the state basketball title, give 'em the coverage.  if chatham wins the state tourney for baseball, give them the coverage.  i just think the paper is a little slow (like 3 years) on showing this program the respect that they deserve.  why should we expect the rest of this state's media to be any different when our own doesn't treat us much better?

#8 abruzzi51

abruzzi51

Elite Member

• Up In Heaven
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

Mr Moto was nice to us in this morning's trib.  He's still a jerk, though.

#9 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (abruzzi51 @ Nov 30 2008, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where'd you see it?  All I can find is Wednesdays column, where he knew all about JL's injured ribs  but missed the fourth highest scoring (TDs) running back in the State.

#10 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (captain'00 @ Nov 30 2008, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
speaking of "our" media (springfield)

IT'S ABOUT dang TIME SHG GOT SOME RECOGNITION IN THIS STUPID PAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when chatham won their title is was like a redskin love fest that made me want to throw up.  after that, the years SHG was close to winning state or had impressive regular seasons, with impressive playoff runs, the paper never batted an eye.  there may have been one article about their season.  of course the thought always was, "well, when we win the big one...then we'll get the recognition".  we won the big one, i have the sports section at home.  thanks for the front page of the sports section, and the one article, but that was it.  do you think the second one was different?  hell no!  same lame coverage.

this program hasnt lost a conference game in 7 YEARS!!!!  they should print a separate edition just for that accomplishment, but that won't happen either.

then this morning it was like Christmas had come early.  at the top of the front page of the paper there's dominic walton, arms raised to the heavens.  on the front of the city/state section, there's the bus of victors pulling into west campus with a great article about coach macmahon.  then the sports section - i'm reading rupert's article and realize that burns wrote one too.  i think to myself, "wow!  this is some nice coverage."  i go to find the continuation of rupert's article and realize that the entire sports section is pretty much SHG, and it's about dang time!

this doesn't go for just the football team either, the soccer team has three state titles, and quite a few runner up trophies.  from what i understand, their coverage is pretty shotty as well.

i don't pay attention to the coverage for other schools as much, but if lanphier wins the state basketball title, give 'em the coverage.  if chatham wins the state tourney for baseball, give them the coverage.  i just think the paper is a little slow (like 3 years) on showing this program the respect that they deserve.  why should we expect the rest of this state's media to be any different when our own doesn't treat us much better?

Couldn't disagree with you more, Captain.  I think the JR coverage of all three championships has been excellent.  As for the Chicago papers, I like that they don't give us respect.  Gives us more ammo.  Can be assured of one thing:  every team that plays in 5A in the state knows who we are and now every team in 6A knows as well.

Edited by cyclops, 30 November 2008 - 06:15 PM.

#11 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:57 PM

Here's an idea to ponder.  Chicago media be diddled, recognition among peers is what matters.

One measure of such recognition is this.  In Ilinois, there are a tiny number of schools that are as recognizable by their initials as by their name.   JCA, PCA, maybe a few more.  I suggest that one of that few is "SHG".   As far as I can determine, across the state those initials are readily recognized, even without the qualifying "Springfield".

For whatever its worth, I believe that the Cyclones are now thought of among the State's elite programs, if not by the Chiocago media, still by the vast majority of the schools and media statewide.

#12 Teetime

Teetime

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (cyclops @ Nov 30 2008, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Couldn't disagree with you more, Captain.  I think the JR coverage of all three championships has been excellent.  As for the Chicago papers, I like that they don't give us respect.  Gives us more ammo.  Can be assured of one thing:  every team that plays in 5A in the state knows who we are and now every team in 6A knows as well.

I agree.

In 2006 the SJR even handed out that headline supplement even before the game ended.

In 2006 and again here in 2008 they have put film to music to make a very nice memorial to the team and the game. This week there were articles every day leading up to the game and I think they did the same in 2005 and 2006.

#13 GHSGRAD77

GHSGRAD77

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:08 PM

While I was walking by the Lemont tent on the way into the stadium, there local radio station was broadcasting from there. I got to hear just enought. Everything, he said, was pointing Lemont's way, all the match-ups were in Lemont's favor. It was going to be a great day for Lemont!

No, it wasn't Suko doing the reporting!

#14 abruzzi51

abruzzi51

Elite Member

• Up In Heaven
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Nov 30 2008, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (abruzzi51 @ Nov 30 2008, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where'd you see it?  All I can find is Wednesdays column, where he knew all about JL's injured ribs  but missed the fourth highest scoring (TDs) running back in the State.

Just go to chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool

there will be a picture of the Maine South team celebrating.  Just to the right of that, all the classes are written up.

Edited by abruzzi51, 30 November 2008 - 10:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users