• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:05 PM

The Cyclone offensive line gave TD more than enough time to throw. Late in the game, they wore out Lemont's Dline and Gary Wilson got his opportunity to fly. The special teams, especially the punt return crew was great. Greg Wilson was everywhere on special teams. I am ready to see him next year. It was the little things taking place all year that aided this Cyclone team. It was truly a team effort across the board, not just the offense or the unsung defense. clap.gif  cheers.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif
"Reclaim the Gold."

#2 Teetime

Teetime

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

Was Greg the one who was coming so close to blocking those punts?

If so, he was fantastic.

I'm trying to remember if we ever returned a punt. We must have.

The first one was short and went OOB. The second went to the endzone. I remember their guys downing one or two of their average punts. Just can't remember a return.

But I'm old.

#3 cyclones2793

cyclones2793

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:21 PM

Yes, greg wilson came close to blocking a couple of those punts. Plus Sam Reents came really close to blocking another. Great effort on special teams by the cyclones on saturday

#4 captain'00

captain'00

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:33 PM

didn't greg get a piece of the first one?  it was shanked off to the right and he came off the field high-fiving like he got it.

#5 jdurham

jdurham

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (captain'00 @ Nov 30 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
didn't greg get a piece of the first one?  it was shanked off to the right and he came off the field high-fiving like he got it.

First, it was definitely him that came flying through the air on two punts.  It was awesome.  More amazing was that he did not smash into the kicker!
We were in the stands talking about the first one.  I was convinced that he did NOT get a piece of it.  It looked to me that the kick simply came of the punters foot that way.  But, who knows!

I too am excited to see him next year.  Besides the punts, on kickoffs he was flying around, faster than everyone else, wanting to hit someone.  It was fun to watch.

#6 abruzzi51

abruzzi51

Elite Member

• Up In Heaven
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (jdurham @ Dec 1 2008, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (captain'00 @ Nov 30 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First, it was definitely him that came flying through the air on two punts.  It was awesome.  More amazing was that he did not smash into the kicker!
We were in the stands talking about the first one.  I was convinced that he did NOT get a piece of it.  It looked to me that the kick simply came of the punters foot that way.  But, who knows!

I too am excited to see him next year.  Besides the punts, on kickoffs he was flying around, faster than everyone else, wanting to hit someone.  It was fun to watch.

I think he's gonna be very special next year.  A real thoroughbred!

#7 captain'00

captain'00

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:53 PM

i remember listening to one game this season where he came in and played significant mop up duty, and sam madonia couldnt believe how fast he was.  in the post game interview w/ coach, sam asked him who was faster and leonard responded, "gary's gonna kill me, but greg's faster."  that's scary!  can't wait.

#8 jdurham

jdurham

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (captain'00 @ Dec 1 2008, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i remember listening to one game this season where he came in and played significant mop up duty, and sam madonia couldnt believe how fast he was.  in the post game interview w/ coach, sam asked him who was faster and leonard responded, "gary's gonna kill me, but greg's faster."  that's scary!  can't wait.

Yeah, for sure!
I'll tell you who else is fast...Lemont!
Did you see how many times their dudes caught our dudes from behind?  True, when Wilson was caught, he was kinda tripped up a couple of times...but still, they had some really fast guys.  Impressive!

#9 DMX

DMX

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

I'll agree with you guys and add that I also look forward to more McMath and Klatchko(sp?).  I'll have to dig out the program....I'm sure there are quite a few key players  that will return.  Anyone familiar with up and commers from the freshman ranks?

#10 cyclones2793

cyclones2793

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

I think the freshmen Bland should be a good wr for the cycs next year

#11 DMX

DMX

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (cyclones2793 @ Dec 1 2008, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is he related to J.C. Bland?

#12 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (jdurham @ Dec 1 2008, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (captain'00 @ Dec 1 2008, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, for sure!
I'll tell you who else is fast...Lemont!
Did you see how many times their dudes caught our dudes from behind?  True, when Wilson was caught, he was kinda tripped up a couple of times...but still, they had some really fast guys.  Impressive!

Lemont spent a lot more time chasing our guys from behind than vice versa. That is a problem in itself. gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif
"Reclaim the Gold."

#13 jdurham

jdurham

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (DMX @ Dec 1 2008, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not know who he is related too, but he must be a stud.  I would check freshman and sophomore stats from time to time, and I would see him running for or catching TDs in every freshman game, and throwing TDs in the sophomore games.  I guess he is a pretty talented athlete.  I wish someone on here would tell us a bit more about him.  I am pretty sure it is Conor (or Connor).

Also, isnt there a sophmore, Brown, who QBs?  He came in to some varsity games, right?

#14 jdurham

jdurham

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (JFLdadGHS87 @ Dec 1 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lemont spent a lot more time chasing our guys from behind than vice versa. That is a problem in itself. gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif

Indeed!

#15 abruzzi51

abruzzi51

Elite Member

• Up In Heaven
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (DMX @ Dec 1 2008, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, he's not related to J.C.

#16 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:14 AM

Here are the ones I expect to be the stars next year:

Line:  Matt Anderson, Marlandez Harris, Ryan Klachko, Christian Jordan.   Take a look at how big they are now and start salivating.

Linebackers:  Tyrone Lee, Darryl McMath (our next defensive superstar), Nick Guzardo

QB:  Eric Williamson.  He was ready this year.

RB:  Greg Wilson (Neal Taylor told me he'd be a star at the 2007 Black and Gold)

WRs:  Zach Rockford (its all genetics, folks).

DBs:  Jake Smith

Other possible important contributors, Sam Reents, Eddie Hubbard-Williams, Ryan Crabtree.  
The way I see it, we'll he extremely strong in both lines and the linebacking corps from the get-go.  They'll provide the cover the new but talented skill players need to come together as a unit.  

I think the 7-on-7 season will be especially important next summer.   They won't be a dominant as last year's crew, but the opportunity to bring the skill players together as a unit will pay direct benefits in the regular season.
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#17 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Dec 2 2008, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here are the ones I expect to be the stars next year:

Line:  Matt Anderson, Marlandez Harris, Ryan Klachko, Christian Jordan.   Take a look at how big they are now and start salivating.

Linebackers:  Tyrone Lee, Darryl McMath (our next defensive superstar), Nick Guzardo

QB:  Eric Williamson.  He was ready this year.

RB:  Greg Wilson (Neal Taylor told me he'd be a star at the 2007 Black and Gold)

WRs:  Zach Rockford (its all genetics, folks).

DBs:  Jake Smith

Other possible important contributors, Sam Reents, Eddie Hubbard-Williams, Ryan Crabtree.  
The way I see it, we'll he extremely strong in both lines and the linebacking corps from the get-go.  They'll provide the cover the new but talented skill players need to come together as a unit.  

I think the 7-on-7 season will be especially important next summer.   They won't be a dominant as last year's crew, but the opportunity to bring the skill players together as a unit will pay direct benefits in the regular season.

That's a good list OldFan. Our line looks to be very robust next year and I think that Harris could  develop into a D1 prospect.

#18 Steve

Steve

THE

• Admin
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:04 AM

John Root will also be returning and had a great season on the O-line.

#19 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:08 AM

Looking good for 2009. Chatter at Edgy's site has the 2009 6A trophy being delivered already to Providence Catholic. They were certainly strong and young. Seems to me that this year's Cyclones were young and deep as well. Tyrone Lee will help greatly next year on both defense and offense. I believe that several non-named players on this years roster will rise to the occassion. As far as the chatter elsewhere, I quote Lee Corso: "Not so fast, my friend!"  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif
"Reclaim the Gold."

#20 Analyst

Analyst

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:45 PM

Right you are JFLdad, it is amazing how year after year players come out of nowhere to make an impact (maybe not so amazing considering the hard work the players put in and the coaching they receive).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users