#1 jdurham

jdurham

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

Here it is:

Steve Tucker blog entry

The article is poorly written in its structure, redundancy, and accuracy.  But, even more annoying is that he only wants to ranks northern Illinois schools.  I appreciate that he is being honest about not being able to fairly rank schools that he does not cover regularly, but I think it is a cop out.  If East St Louis won state, and beat Geneva, why can he not rank them ahead of Geneva?  The same argument can be made for SHG.  What value is there in ranking PART of the state?
Some people may say that it is noble of him to do this, but I just think it shows how clueless he is, and it is further evidence that the Chicago-area writers do not know about sports south of I-80, and do not care enough to try to learn.

Edited by jdurham, 01 December 2008 - 01:14 PM.

#2 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (jdurham @ Dec 1 2008, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here it is:

Steve Tucker blog entry

The article is poorly written in its structure, redundancy, and accuracy.  But, even more annoying is that he only wants to ranks northern Illinois schools.  I appreciate that he is being honest about not being able to fairly rank schools that he does not cover regularly, but I think it is a cop out.  If East St Louis won state, and beat Geneva, why can he not rank them ahead of Geneva?  The same argument can be made for SHG.  What value is there in ranking PART of the state?
Some people may say that it is noble of him to do this, but I just think it shows how clueless he is, and it is further evidence that the Chicago-area writers do not know about sports south of I-80, and do not care enough to try to learn.

I don't have a problem with him sticking to all area rankings as that is his readership.  His logic, however, on balancing unboundaried vs boundaried is all over the place.  Kind of like his writing. Can someone explain how football enrollment differs from multiplier?

#3 ispaiu

ispaiu

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

I think he's just saying that we're out of the circulation area----it is, after all, a newspaper, unlike, say, Edgy Tim, who doesn't attempt to be anything other than a professional prognosticator & daily fix for sports junkies. In this, our sweet hour of victory, I'd like to see "more of the prince & less of the hangman" from SHG fans--more graciousness and good will & less vindictiveness & recrimination on the part of Cyclone "Nation". Not calling anybody out here; I just feel that to win with grace is not just the Cyclone way, but the way it oughta be everywhere. Plus there is a saying that one "should never pick a fight with somebody who buys ink by the barrel. Yes, I realize times have changed, that the 'net is a whole new world that makes our little world here possible, but....as OSUBUcks stated, this year's "Burma Road" to the trophy showed anybody who knows anything what we're about down here...'Nuff said. Nobody has to prove anything to anybody anymore.

I offer absolutely zero educated insight

#4 jdurham

jdurham

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (ispaiu @ Dec 1 2008, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he's just saying that we're out of the circulation area----it is, after all, a newspaper, unlike, say, Edgy Tim, who doesn't attempt to be anything other than a professional prognosticator & daily fix for sports junkies. In this, our sweet hour of victory, I'd like to see "more of the prince & less of the hangman" from SHG fans--more graciousness and good will & less vindictiveness & recrimination on the part of Cyclone "Nation". Not calling anybody out here; I just feel that to win with grace is not just the Cyclone way, but the way it oughta be everywhere. Plus there is a saying that one "should never pick a fight with somebody who buys ink by the barrel. Yes, I realize times have changed, that the 'net is a whole new world that makes our little world here possible, but....as OSUBUcks stated, this year's "Burma Road" to the trophy showed anybody who knows anything what we're about down here...'Nuff said. Nobody has to prove anything to anybody anymore.

Good call.

#5 ChicagoCyclone

ChicagoCyclone

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

Not a good call at all. His faulty assumption is that in "our circulation", there are no fans who care about the rest of the state. Chicago is a huge city among whose citizens probably 40-50% of them moved here from elsewhere, myself among them. Having lived here for ten years, I have met and befriended people from every small and mid-size town in Illinois, some football fans, some not. The failure to recognize that makeup of readership is not characteristic of a good journalist, especially one whose subject matter is the IHSA, a governing body whose governed members are within the boundaries of the ENTIRE state, not just a portion of it.

Additionally, Chicagoans are competitive by nature. Natural-born Chicagoans love to jockey for position in all things competitive, ESPECIALLY sports. They want to know if the "smart guys" think the local teams can stack up to the rest of the teams within the comprehensive IHSA body.

Posted Image

#6 jdurham

jdurham

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (ChicagoCyclone @ Dec 1 2008, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a good call at all. His faulty assumption is that in "our circulation", there are no fans who care about the rest of the state. Chicago is a huge city among whose citizens probably 40-50% of them moved here from elsewhere, myself among them. Having lived here for ten years, I have met and befriended people from every small and mid-size town in Illinois, some football fans, some not. The failure to recognize that makeup of readership is not characteristic of a good journalist, especially one whose subject matter is the IHSA, a governing body whose governed members are within the boundaries of the ENTIRE state, not just a portion of it.

Additionally, Chicagoans are competitive by nature. Natural-born Chicagoans love to jockey for position in all things competitive, ESPECIALLY sports. They want to know if the "smart guys" think the local teams can stack up to the rest of the teams within the comprehensive IHSA body.

Well, my "good call" was really directed towards ispaiu's comments about having more grace and and goodwill in posts.  That is definitely something I want to strive for, regardless of what the different papers are saying.
I agree with your thoughts about the Chicago-area and the Chicago paper readership.  Furthermore, clearly a lot of downstate people read the Chicago papers or we would not be having these conversations nearly as much.

#7 GHSGRAD77

GHSGRAD77

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:22 PM

Did you see the comment from the brainchild that said SHG would have lost the 5A game and had St. Francis ranked as his #1 team for middle sized teams. crazy.gif

#8 ChicagoCyclone

ChicagoCyclone

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

I saw that, too, and posted a reply that apparently was not ok for publishing. My first one showed up, but this one did not...  angry.gif

Posted Image

#9 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (GHSGRAD77 @ Dec 1 2008, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you see the comment from the brainchild that said SHG would have lost the 5A game and had St. Francis ranked as his #1 team for middle sized teams. crazy.gif

They're already a bunch of admitted homers.  No doubt he's basing his silliness on our losing to Montini, a team thy beat on their second try.  I am equally sure he wouldn't care about the details of that August loss.

Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#10 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:53 PM

When we were winning in 5A critics said that we were lucky that JCA and others had moved up in class. Now that we've won in 6A these people are saying that we're lucky to be in 6A because of Wheaton St. Francis.  roll_eyes.gif

Let's examine that matchup. By my count over the past 6 years we've gone 72-5.
If I look at those 5 losses I see teams like JCA 03', Montini and PC in 07'
Those teams all had an edge in size and power on the line. Jacksonville in 04' also had some big boys such as Hammers and Trace to name a few.
My point is that we don't lose very often but when we do it's almost always to someone who has an edge in size and strength on the lines.
It would be rare indeed for SHG to lose to a team smaller than them such as St. Francis.
Metamora gave WSF some help in that game with too many fumbles. Montini gave WSF their only loss and in the playoff rematch won by WSF Montini lost 4 fumbles leading to 28 points in the 28-14 game. WSF had an edge in quickness over Metamora. Against SHG they would find themselves matched against an opponent as quick as they are who is also bigger and stronger than them.
While I was impressed with WSF they are not the equal of SHG. Comparing scores from common opponents using an early season game is pretty meaningless as you guys all know.

#11 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

All this is is a bunch of Chicago hacks whining. Montini would lose again to SHG. St. Francis would be within 4 TD's, maybe even as good as Lemont and only lose by three TD's. sneaky.gif Their conjecture cannot take away our third title in four years.  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif  gocycs.gif
"Reclaim the Gold."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users