• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Teetime

Teetime

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:43 PM

When something really amazing happens before your eyes it sometimes becomes hard to believe. When it happens over and over again...you come to expect it and it seems almost ordinary.

I saw these kick and punt return stats compiled on John Lantz. Even though we came to expect it, it still is hard to comprehend, and certainly is NOT ordinary:

22 punt returns-454 yds-3tds-20.6 y/avg
had an 86 yarder called back against southeast.  

this one is amazing.
13 kickoff returns-628 yds-4tds-48.3 y/avg

Broken down by weeks:

wk1-2 returns of 22 & 96(118 yds)-out of conference
wk2-8- 3 returns 28, 12, & 38(78 yds)-conference games (that's 7 weeks)
wk9- 1 return 85-out of conference
1st round- 2 returns 26 & 34(60)
2nd round- 2 returns 89 & 14(103)
3rd round- 1 return 98
4th round- 2 returns 46 & 40(86)

looks like our conference has some good kickers or they don't want tp kick to #13.

These are just kick returns and don't include interceptions.

#2 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:51 PM

I appreciated watching Lantz every time he touched the ball. I was even more impressed how effective he was the last 9 quarters with cracked ribs.  As restricted as his movement was the last two games, he still makes the highlight reel.

If we want to have some fun and hypothesize, tell me among all the great receivers we've had, who impressed you more than Lantz?  He gets my vote.

#3 jdurham

jdurham

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (cyclops @ Dec 1 2008, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I appreciated watching Lantz every time he touched the ball. I was even more impressed how effective he was the last 9 quarters with cracked ribs.  As restricted as his movement was the last two games, he still makes the highlight reel.

If we want to have some fun and hypothesize, tell me among all the great receivers we've had, who impressed you more than Lantz?  He gets my vote.

Gilpin, Pilger, and Ryan O'Malley come to my mind.

#4 cycs93

cycs93

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:56 PM

just to name a few tony nevins, brad svoboda even tho he was mainly a tailback i believe,karliker, matt brewer, alex reavy, david kavish

#5 cycs93

cycs93

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:02 PM

assuming lantz makes the chicago tribune all state team, i believe only him, reavy, kavish, and pilger? have been named to the chicago tribune 5A-8A all state team as receivers.  Anybody want to confirm that?

#6 gusdog

gusdog

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (Teetime @ Dec 2 2008, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
looks like our conference has some good kickers or they don't want tp kick to #13.

SHG didn't give up too many scores in conference, so that kind of limits the number of kick-offs for their opponents, hence limiting his return opportunities.

This just makes his returns all the more amazing.

He made the most of limited opportunities.

#7 jdurham

jdurham

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (cycs93 @ Dec 1 2008, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just to name a few tony nevins, brad svoboda even tho he was mainly a tailback i believe,karliker, matt brewer, alex reavy, david kavish

You are right about Svoboda mainly playing as a running back.  He did line up and receive from time to time.  I still remember an incredible thrice-tipped catch that he made...I believe it was vs Lanphier when they were good.
Anyway, he is the best athlete I have ever known...by a good margin...I'd have him on the list if he was really a wide out.

#8 cycs93

cycs93

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (jdurham @ Dec 2 2008, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are right about Svoboda mainly playing as a running back.  He did line up and receive from time to time.  I still remember an incredible thrice-tipped catch that he made...I believe it was vs Lanphier when they were good.
Anyway, he is the best athlete I have ever known...by a good margin...I'd have him on the list if he was really a wide out.

well i think he played wide out for colorado state so he might actually be a wide out...i remember watching him in a few bowl games on tv, what an amazing athlete he was.

#9 jdurham

jdurham

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (cycs93 @ Dec 2 2008, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jdurham @ Dec 2 2008, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well i think he played wide out for colorado state so he might actually be a wide out...i remember watching him in a few bowl games on tv, what an amazing athlete he was.

Yeah, they made him a wide out at CSU.  I went up there and visited him one summer, and not only was he still an awesome athlete and faster than most people on the field...he was actually totally cut and not just skinny like in high school.  Unfortunately, a kid named Dallas, from the Ft Collins area (who roomed with Brad their freshman year), was a big favorite of coaches and fans, and he got a lot of early recognition and playing time over Boda.  But, as you saw in bowl games, his playing time did increase over the years.
I just saw him (and his parents) last month at Ryan Gobble's wedding (the one that made me miss the SHS game).  There was a fair amount of high school football talk that night.  Thanks to those of you who updates the scoreboard that night!
By the way, if you play college ball, some alum will hook you up with an awesome job.

Edited by jdurham, 02 December 2008 - 04:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users