• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 cyclones62

cyclones62

Forum Member

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:16 PM

I'm not sure if something like this has already been done on here but I thought it'd be fun to stir the pot coming up on the 2009-2010 season. So what are your thoughts on the All-Time SHG/ Griffin Cyclones football team?

Offense-

QB, HB, FB, WR1, WR2, WR3/TE, LT, LG, C, RG, RT

Defense-

LE, RE, DT1, DT2, ROLB, LOLB, MLB, CB1, CB2, FS, SS

ST-

P, K, Returner

Don't feel obligated to stick to that format just thought I would give a standard. Also, feel free to move players around: i.e- Luster to FB  bigsmile.gif , Peterman to WR, etc.  Try to keep players on one side of the ball. Mitrione can't play every position.

#2 cycs93

cycs93

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:45 PM

this would be too tough because some recievers that were good played on running teams and good running backs played on passing teams etc. i think you  have to go by decade....heres just a general list of the better players in this decade that have come through

QB- Brad Selinger, Eric peterman, Bobby Brenneisen, Tim Dondanville

RB- Kenni Burns, Curtis Robinson, Chris peterson, Josh Gossard, Gary Wilson, John Sronce, Andre Pendergrass
FB- J.R. Steele, Luster, Hubbard

WR- Jack Holland, Matt Brewer, Tony Nevins, David Kavish, John Lantz, Keenan Gilpin, Dominic Walton, Robby Mosher, Alex Reavy....long list since this decade had the most passing.

TE- Jeff Sanders, Mike Edwards

LB- Zach Kettlekamp, Sam Workman, Leonard Hubbard, Andrew Collings, Steve Edwards, Blake Pranger

DB- Josh Alltoy(dont know the spelling), Brandon Crouch, Joe Marrin, many receievers mainly played both ways at this position like Josh Gossard, David Kavish, Robby Mosher, Tony nevins, Holland, Brewer, etc.

OL- Nick Theole, Matt Mast, Andrew Brewer, kelby jasmon

DL- Larry Luster, Joe Henrickson, Mike Steiren, Drew Tate

other- Nick kulek(punt and kick returner and a running back)

there are names that I couldnt remember as well and this is just a rough list who I could think of off the top of my head. Please add/ drop/ comment on this list. Remember this decade is not done either.

#3 cycs93

cycs93

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:51 PM

left out Erik Karliker from this bunch...very good receiever/Db.

#4 Teetime

Teetime

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (cycs93 @ Jul 20 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
left out Erik Karliker from this bunch...very good receiever/Db.

And Josh Norris. The best OL in the decade.

#5 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

Agree with you on Norris.... Mike Pilger at WR needs to be included.
How about QB Bart Geiser also?

#6 Cyclone50

Cyclone50

Forum Member

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (OSUBucks @ Jul 21 2009, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree with you on Norris.... Mike Pilger at WR needs to be included.
How about QB Bart Geiser also?

I'd agree with Geiser, also George Murphy as WR, before he got hurt he could flat out fly.

Don't forget Steve Dahlkamp as a LB, he was a monster. I'd also include Dan Dee, Doug Hembrough (God rest their souls) and Chris Stapleton as a kicker.

#7 cycs93

cycs93

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:45 PM

Josh Norris, yes definetly a good player. I didnt leave out those other guys I was just choosing this decade of 2000-2010....as far as the nineties, from the players that i know of....

QB- Derek Leonard, Ryan Wells, Scot Norris, Akram Humadideh

RB- Eric Wells, Dan Maurer, Phil Lambert,

WR- Mike Pilger(i think he might of played tight end also), Brad svoboda(also an outstanding tailback), Mike Ferega, Ryan O'Malley,

FB- John Bowan (spelling check)

OL- need some help here, i have a few faces in mind just not names to match them.

DB- Bill Brune, need some help here too....

LB- Mike Mcgee, Todd Schneller, John Bowan(again dunno the spelling)....

DL- Steve Vespa, Pete Smith, Matt Mitrione, .....

Kicker- Peter Christifalokas?

other- J.C. Clarke

there are many others Im leaving out...please add some from the 90's decade.

#8 captain'00

captain'00

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:22 PM

don't forget matt "meat" mitrione

#9 cycs93

cycs93

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (captain'00 @ Jul 22 2009, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
don't forget matt "meat" mitrione

i got him in there captain under defensive lineman. Matt "meat" mitrione

#10 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:42 AM

If I don't want you youngsters ignoring anybody who played before 1980, I guess I'll have to represent for the old guys.

Just a few who could have played on any Cyclone team, no matter when:

QB:  LARRY Selinger '67 was a better QB than Brad.

RB:  Paul Reynolds '50 Still in the Cyclone top ten after sixty years.

RB:  Bob Zanot '71

FB:   Pete Leu '61  If I'm not mistaken, still the best rushing FB in Cyclone history - out a straight T or split T offense.

T:  George Fleischli  '61, All-State, Honorable mention All-American

G:  Pat Butler  '61,  All-City, Al-State, All-American
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#11 gusdog

gusdog

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:36 AM

Zanot was all that, no doubt.  He was awesome.  I was just a little kid, but he was a great player.  The combination of speed & quickness was amazing.

Old Fan, I thought Fleischli was a center?

Nobody mentioned Jim Rockford (option QB) (went on to excellent college & pro careers).  He was astoundingly quick and very strong.  (Peterman type of player)

Doug Bartlett  - Defensive end (eventually a pro, if I recall correctly)

Kevin Martin, all-city, all-conference, all state QB

#12 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

You guys have brought up a lot of great names from the past and some that were before my time.
It just shows how difficult it would be to come up with say a top 25 player list.
Another name that I don't believe has been mentioned yet is Enoch Blazis, a DL who went on to star for Navy.

#13 88Grad

88Grad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:27 PM

Jeff Swaney was another FB/RB  and LB that had great success in the late 80's

#14 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (gusdog @ Jul 22 2009, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Old Fan, I thought Fleischli was a center?

Actually, I'm pretty sure you're right.  I only saw him for two years, and one of them i was still in eighth grade.  Its not that hard to remember a back like Pete leu - with linemen the mental picture is getting a tad fuzzy.

#15 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (OSUBucks @ Jul 22 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys have brought up a lot of great names from the past and some that were before my time.
It just shows how difficult it would be to come up with say a top 25 player list.
Another name that I don't believe has been mentioned yet is Enoch Blazis, a DL who went on to star for Navy.

There's no way in heck that you could name a top twenty-five - not without vigorous disagreement.  I'm not even sure you could name a top FIVE.

Eric Peterman, for sure.  Probably our best ever all-around athlete.
John Lantz, if peterman wan't the best, then Lantz was.

After that?  Good luck with that one!

Especially if you want to go back any amount of time, the variations in coaching, formations, defensive sets, and even rules make it almost impossible to choose the best at any position.

#16 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (cycs93 @ Jul 21 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Josh Norris, yes definetly a good player. I didnt leave out those other guys I was just choosing this decade of 2000-2010....as far as the nineties, from the players that i know of....

WR- Mike Pilger(i think he might of played tight end also), Brad svoboda(also an outstanding tailback), Mike Ferega, Ryan O'Malley,

OL- need some help here, i have a few faces in mind just not names to match them.

other- J.C. Clarke

I like this one - the 90's - this is the era I know the best, and many here have forgotten . . .

QB - I would put Jeff Flieschli up there right behind Norris - more yards and/or better completion % with less interceptions than any of the others (not that they weren't good also).  When you look at the records (they are on this site - had to do it to jogg the memory), in the 90's, he is #3 yardage-wise behind Norris and Leonard, however, I am sure at 64% completions with only 4 interceptions, that would beat Derek's stats - I might give him an edge there . . .?

RB - I wouldn't leave out Andy Lambert or Dave Wavak.

WR - I think you hit it on the head - lots of good ones - but those stand out to me too . . .

FB - gotta go with Bowen . . .

OL - I would go with tose who went D1 - John Albrecht and Brian Kardos.  I would however, recognise the entire 1995 unit - Stone, M. Albrecht, Gowen, Lynch and M. Lyons.  They were big, really big, and worked well as a group.  Eric Wells did not get all those yards because he was a burner.  He'll admit that too - he was a slasher - and needed a little space to do his work.  They gave it to him.  Little known fact regarding this O Line - 4 of 5 were honors students . . .

DB - Bill B - right on . . . add PJ Becker - although both played FS, put PJ at strong.  Maybe throw Ferega and Svaboda back there at corner going both ways.

LB - right on - can't think of anyone else ecxept my guy CYKS2591 . . . (looking for a free beer buddy)

DL - don't leave out Chad Balettie - DL to Air Force he joins McGee and Mittrone as (I am pretty sure) the only 3 D Linemen fro the 90's to go D1 for that reason.

Kicker - Peter C - yes.

Other? - what are you - JC's cousin or something?  (OK that one's getting me pulled over on the interstate).

Good stuff. cheers.gif

Edited by HasBeen, 22 July 2009 - 06:24 PM.

#17 cycs93

cycs93

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (HasBeen @ Jul 22 2009, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (cycs93 @ Jul 21 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

other- J.C. Clarke

I like this one - the 90's - this is the era I know the best, and many here have forgotten . . .

QB - I would put Jeff Flieschli up there right behind Norris - more yards and/or better completion % with less interceptions than any of the others (not that they weren't good also).  When you look at the records (they are on this site - had to do it to jogg the memory), in the 90's, he is #3 yardage-wise behind Norris and Leonard, however, I am sure at 64% completions with only 4 interceptions, that would beat Derek's stats - I might give him an edge there . . .?

RB - I wouldn't leave out Andy Lambert or Dave Wavak.

WR - I think you hit it on the head - lots of good ones - but those stand out to me too . . .

FB - gotta go with Bowen . . .

OL - I would go with tose who went D1 - John Albrecht and Brian Kardos.  I would however, recognise the entire 1995 unit - Stone, M. Albrecht, Gowen, Lynch and M. Lyons.  They were big, really big, and worked well as a group.  Eric Wells did not get all those yards because he was a burner.  He'll admit that too - he was a slasher - and needed a little space to do his work.  They gave it to him.  Little known fact regarding this O Line - 4 of 5 were honors students . . .

DB - Bill B - right on . . . add PJ Becker - although both played FS, put PJ at strong.  Maybe throw Ferega and Svaboda back there at corner going both ways.

LB - right on - can't think of anyone else ecxept my guy CYKS2591 . . . (looking for a free beer buddy)

DL - don't leave out Chad Balettie - DL to Air Force he joins McGee and Mittrone as (I am pretty sure) the only 3 D Linemen fro the 90's to go D1 for that reason.

Kicker - Peter C - yes.

Other? - what are you - JC's cousin or something?  (OK that one's getting me pulled over on the interstate).

Good stuff. cheers.gif

Was flieshli QB in the 90's???????....

#18 cycs93

cycs93

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Jul 22 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (OSUBucks @ Jul 22 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's no way in heck that you could name a top twenty-five - not without vigorous disagreement.  I'm not even sure you could name a top FIVE.

Eric Peterman, for sure.  Probably our best ever all-around athlete.
John Lantz, if peterman wan't the best, then Lantz was.

After that?  Good luck with that one!

Especially if you want to go back any amount of time, the variations in coaching, formations, defensive sets, and even rules make it almost impossible to choose the best at any position.

I think Matt Mitrione has got to be mentioned based on the fact he was an all american.  Peterman I agree on, but Bobby Brenneisen may not have been the best runner ( but he was a pretty good one), he still threw for the most yards in school history. We were spoiled with receievers in the 2000's Lantz (So. Ill) yes but also Reavy(Illinois), Kavish (SDSU), Walton (Air Force), and Gilpin were just as talented in my opinion. Kenni Burns is one of the few to play as a freshman. and how about Brad svoboda...tailback and a receiever.  Bill Brune is prolly one of the best defensive players.  All im saying is that i think its impossible to name a top 5.

#19 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (cycs93 @ Jul 22 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was flieshli QB in the 90's???????....

Yes - started one full year as a senior - fall of 1990. started one game as a junior.  actually 11-1 as a starter, which, if I am correct is the best "winning %" of any of the QBs from the 90's.  norris was 11-2 as a starter with derek 17-6 (I think???? - derek was the only "two year starter")

They were all good - as OSU said we aren't comparing apples to apples.  all these guys, just like some from the 2000's (brenissen and dondanville for instance) were very efficient - very good.  but all had different weapons, ran from some different sets and were given more/less opportunities to throw the ball. . . .

All I will say is, if you seperate the line out, and just consider backs - many will probably agree if you are picking teams on the playground - Peterman is your #1 pick.

Edited by HasBeen, 23 July 2009 - 08:31 AM.

#20 jdurham

jdurham

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

Your comments brought a couple of things to mind, OldFan.

First, about Larry Selinger...
I grew up with his kids and never really realized how great of a QB he was until years later.  I went to Bradley University and am still up here in Peoria, and from time to time I will run across someone who played with Larry or watched him in college.  You know, he went to Bradley back when we had football.  Anyway, one guy told me he watched him throw, and he had just as good of an arm as Roger Staubach did when he was at Navy (I believe BU played Navy).  Apparently Staubach had better feet.

Also, in terms of best all around athlete, I have to say that I have never met anyone with the overall athletic ability of Brad Svoboda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users