• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:39 AM

Steve, I belpeve that the stadium drawing reached through the link "RENDERING OF PROPOSED STADIUM" is incorrect.  I'm pretty sure the plan has now been changed so that the field will run N/S.
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#2 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Nov 19 2009, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve, I belpeve that the stadium drawing reached through the link "RENDERING OF PROPOSED STADIUM" is incorrect.  I'm pretty sure the plan has now been changed so that the field will run N/S.

I care less about the way it runs than how they are going to pay for it - about $2 million committed to date on an (at least) $8 million note . . .? thinking.gif

#3 Steve

Steve

THE

• Admin
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:05 PM

The school has released to some the new configuration, but it has not been formally released.  Once they update the rendering to N/S, I will update the link.

#4 Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (HasBeen @ Nov 19 2009, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I care less about the way it runs than how they are going to pay for it - about $2 million committed to date on an (at least) $8 million note . . .? thinking.gif

Ticket sales & concessions for Fball, Soccer (M & W), Track, etc...etc.   Multiply ticket prices, times # of fans x # of games + concessions...and you start getting a pretty nice payment to make per month for a stadium that will have a 10+year life-cycle.  Then there's a % of those tuition dollars too.  And, that's just for the outdoor sports.  I believe the $8M also refurbishes the West Campus buildings for better indoor sports/lockers, etc.   And, better theater, instructional areas in the East.  Seems like a better deal than the $230M SSD186 plan.  IMHO

#5 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (Thunderstruck @ Nov 19 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (HasBeen @ Nov 19 2009, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ticket sales & concessions for Fball, Soccer (M & W), Track, etc...etc.   Multiply ticket prices, times # of fans x # of games + concessions...and you start getting a pretty nice payment to make per month for a stadium that will have a 10+year life-cycle.  Then there's a % of those tuition dollars too.  And, that's just for the outdoor sports.  I believe the $8M also refurbishes the West Campus buildings for better indoor sports/lockers, etc.   And, better theater, instructional areas in the East.  Seems like a better deal than the $230M SSD186 plan.  IMHO

That's what happens when you're spending your own money rather than some anonymous taxpayers .  SH-G asks ''what do we NEED and how can we afford it?"   186 asks "who wants some new stuff?  We have a sugar daddy"

#6 Teetime

Teetime

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (Thunderstruck @ Nov 19 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, we already get to keep the admission fees that you speak of, so there is no new revenue there. Concessions are not a real money maker either.

NO TUITION MONEY will be used for the new improvements and fields. Tuition doesn't even cover the cost of educating a student now, before the new dollars are spent, so the payments can't come from tuition dollars.

No....we are going to have to dig deep and come up with new money to pay for this stuff.

I just didn't want to let that one pass, so that people who read it would think that nothing would have to change to pay for the new improvements.

If you get asked to give...give.

If you don't get asked, volunteer to give.

#7 TheRingoKid

TheRingoKid

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order of importance: Cyclone football, Irish football, Cyclone basketball, SHG non-athletic activities, movies, sci fi television.

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (Teetime @ Nov 20 2009, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NO TUITION MONEY will be used for the new improvements and fields. Tuition doesn't even cover the cost of educating a student now, before the new dollars are spent, so the payments can't come from tuition dollars.

No....we are going to have to dig deep and come up with new money to pay for this stuff.

I just didn't want to let that one pass, so that people who read it would think that nothing would have to change to pay for the new improvements.

If you get asked to give...give.

If you don't get asked, volunteer to give.

Amen to that! I look upon our donation as partial payment of the debt that our family owes for the great education our two sons received at SHG.

In some ways, having this discussion on our SHG Football board reminds me of an incident that took place in the 1950s in Oklahoma invloving the then OU president, Dr. George Lynn Cross. From a quick Google search, I offer the following:

Dr. Cross is well-remembered for his public speaking ability and quick wit. His most famous quote came at a budget meeting with state legislators. After a long presentation and 45 minute justification of the OU budget,a legislator asked, "So, tell me again why you think you need more money for the university. Frustrated, Dr. Cross replied "Because we want to build a university our football team can be proud of."

I think that we all want a school that our football team can be proud of. Echoing Teetime, please be generous in your contributions to the Generations Campaign. It is really putting your money where your pixels and keystrokes are.

#8 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

All.... They will raise the money..... Now I am a bit torn on a idea of   having and  buying reserved seats  in high school.  But how about selling seats  in the middle of the stands say from one 40 to the other. Kind of like what do they call them in the pro's  ps something.  In addition to the price of the seat for the year an extra 150 or 200 per seat. Umm uhh, I will take four..... Walking up into my seat two minutes before the game would be sheer bliss. Ratsy

#9 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (cornerrat @ Nov 20 2009, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All.... They will raise the money..... Now I am a bit torn on a idea of   having and  buying reserved seats  in high school.  But how about selling seats  in the middle of the stands say from one 40 to the other. Kind of like what do they call them in the pro's  ps something.  In addition to the price of the seat for the year an extra 150 or 200 per seat. Umm uhh, I will take four..... Walking up into my seat two minutes before the game would be sheer bliss. Ratsy

Skyboxes.  Put the pressbox on the visitors' side to allow more Skyboxes.  I really do believe that there are sufficient well heeled potential private and/or corporate fans to pay , say. $250 a game for comfortable, spacious, WEATHERPROOF reserved seats.

Edited by OldFan, 21 November 2009 - 01:06 AM.

#10 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Nov 21 2009, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (cornerrat @ Nov 20 2009, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Skyboxes.  Put the pressbox on the visitors' side to allow more Skyboxes.  I really do believe that there are sufficient well heeled potential private and/or corporate fans to pay , say. $250 a game for comfortable, spacious, WEATHERPROOF reserved seats.

I'll tell you, Skyboxes, Bricks, etc. are great fundraising ideas, but that is not going to get it done.  It is going to tke LARGE commitments from a number of people.

I've been directly involed with a multi-million dollar campaign at SHG, as well as raising money to fund annual operating expenses.  I really don't, however, have a firm grasp of what is going on now, aside from an in-law relitave on the campaign steering committee.  I am sure I'll get an update at Thanksgiving.

From my perspective (which, depending on who you ask, is anywhere between wise or wacked) . . .

Think of it this - most of us attend the Mostaccioli Dinner.  The dinner is a great tradition and fundraiser.  Most people think it really helps the school out from a financial standpoint.  It IS a help, as it might net $100,000 on a given year.

I am going to make an educated guess here that SHG operates on about $10 million per year.  The Mostaccioli dinner's $100,000 has now offset 1% of the cost to keep SHG going on an annual basis . . .  1%.

I also realize the dinner is a tradition and great for PR - which helps with other donations.

However, bricks and skyboxes, reserved seating, the gate, etc. aint going to get it done - another $6 MILLION is needed.  It seems to me things like that would be more realistic as a means of offsetting the cost of simply maintaining the facility, as I hope it would be self-sustaining.

My largest fear is SHG raises $4 million or so and (since they promised) begins to build.  Then they go ahead and take a loan out in in the amount of $8 million for the actual project, putting the actual money raised in a reserve fund they use to pay down the $8 million loan over time.  So, imagine its 5 to 10 years from now and the $4 million accuont has been drained, with a multi-million principle balance remaining on the original note.  What happins?  Guess what - the Mostaccioli dinner does not save SHG - tuition goes up fast and teachers get paid less.  That's how it works.

Something close to this has happened before, and from what I hear, SHG has learned from it's mistake.   The next $6 million has to be fre and clear.  No additional debt can be taken on to do the project.

All I do know is $6 million is a long way to go, and some big people or organizations are going to have to come through to get it done.

I hope they get it - but it's a lot harder than most think . . .

#11 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:02 AM

I did hear the promise has been made not to take on any debt to build a stadium.  This is good.

I also heard that the stadium will be the last priority of the campaign that will be built, as the $ is raised - could be a while guys . . . .

In 2001, $3+ million, on a goal of $5 million was pledged before anything was announced.  The end result was somewhere just over (I think - not sure though as I had left working at SHG before the campaign ended) $4 million.

I hope they can get it done . . .

Edited by HasBeen, 29 November 2009 - 08:02 AM.

#12 Cyclone1

Cyclone1

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:47 AM

The Generations of Gold get together is April 17, encourage anyone who has played football to RSVP and attend.  It is a fundraiser.

Here is the nice thing you can pay out your pledge in 5 years. $1500 is only $300/year.  I blow more than that on stuff I really don't need, and with this I get a charitable deduction!

Please call and RSVP.  It will be a great night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users