• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:07 PM

Peoria coach Thornton lives down to his sorry reputation.
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#42 Teetime

Teetime

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:11 PM

View Postcaptain, on 22 November 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

5th time in the championship in 10 years!  This one's a rematch from last year!  Get ready!

And sixth in twelve years.

#43 GHSGRAD77

GHSGRAD77

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:30 PM

Dominating performance today!

As I was walking out, one lady was dropping f bombs at SHG players carrying things back to the locker room. Yelled she hoped they get their kneecaps busted as well as other classless things.

#44 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:57 AM

I am reminded of the coaches from North Chicago and Cahokia, both of whom have departed at least from those schools.  The team gets their lead from the coach.   Leaving your starters in long after the game is well out of reah and ignoring those substitutes who have worked hard for you all year.  The sloppiness and behavior of his team,

This guy has about as much class as a run down trailer court.

#45 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:21 AM

Just a sad way to end the game. The Peoria team and many of their fans just came off as sore losers. What was the point of Peoria using a timeout with under 3 minutes left in a blowout game. Would it really have made them feel that much better if their starters had scored another cheap TD on our reserves? I had flashbacks to the Cahokia Quarterfinal game in 2006. A Peoria player body slammed one of our reserves then they proceeded to make a big ruckus when the offending player was ejected. So the Peoria fans were mad. Who cares, we played reserves in the second half rather than score more points, what else were we supposed to do? If I'd been a Peoria fan I would have been ashamed by that kind of conduct but at least some of them were applauding it.  On a couple of occasions during the first half I saw a Peoria player being restrained by a teammate when he appeared to be going after an SHG player. Basically they were mad because they got taken to the woodshed today.

#46 cycs54

cycs54

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:26 AM

The only reason to call timeout in a game like yesterday is you want to get seniors that don't get to play much,on the field and its looks like the clock will run out I can understand that. Ken is a bigger man than me. You call a 2nd time out. I put my starters back in to say. Enjoy this

#47 chgoalm

chgoalm

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

Can't help but compare the ending of the semifinal game this year to the one last year. Unreal.

#48 Teetime

Teetime

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:51 AM

It's hard to see a state championship game a week into your future and have that taken from you. It's hard for players, fans and coaches.

Some of you won't like this, but I don't see anything wrong with a coach leaving his starters in the game right up to the last play. You can't tell your kids to "play to the whistle" and "never give up" and then start pulling your starters just because the winning coach has pulled theirs.

My theory is that the losing coach and team can do anything they want to get back in the game SHORT OF INTENTIONALLY TRYING TO HURT THE OPPONENT. This is where the Peoria kid (or kids) jumped the tracks. That body slam inflicted by the IFCA all stater upon one of our unlucky underclassmen was bush league and inexcusable, as was the behavior exhibited by a few Peoria fans.

PHS has some very talented football players. They should be proud of what they accomplished. Today, I imagine there are some adults in Peoria that are embarrassed by their behavior yesterday.

#49 GHSGRAD77

GHSGRAD77

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:23 PM

I would say more than a few Peoria fans participated in bad behavior. The PJ STAR had a comment that some fan was kicked out ay an administrator and that empty liquor bottles were found under the bleachers.

#50 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:11 PM

View PostGHSGRAD77, on 23 November 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

I would say more than a few Peoria fans participated in bad behavior. The PJ STAR had a comment that some fan was kicked out ay an administrator and that empty liquor bottles were found under the bleachers.

They must have quashed that comment.  Doesn't seem to be there now.

#51 Teetime

Teetime

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:26 PM

It wasn't a comment in the paper. It was on the PJStar message board and was written by GBGII, I think.

He was at the PND game in Lemont.

#52 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:45 PM

View PostTeetime, on 23 November 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

It's hard to see a state championship game a week into your future and have that taken from you. It's hard for players, fans and coaches.

Some of you won't like this, but I don't see anything wrong with a coach leaving his starters in the game right up to the last play. You can't tell your kids to "play to the whistle" and "never give up" and then start pulling your starters just because the winning coach has pulled theirs.

My theory is that the losing coach and team can do anything they want to get back in the game SHORT OF INTENTIONALLY TRYING TO HURT THE OPPONENT. This is where the Peoria kid (or kids) jumped the tracks. That body slam inflicted by the IFCA all stater upon one of our unlucky underclassmen was bush league and inexcusable, as was the behavior exhibited by a few Peoria fans.

PHS has some very talented football players. They should be proud of what they accomplished. Today, I imagine there are some adults in Peoria that are embarrassed by their behavior yesterday.

I can't quibble with most of what you say here Tee. In this case though late in the game it was impossible to get back into the game. The game was lost and they knew it. SHG didn't even try to score in the 2nd half. It was reserves in the game and they did not attempt to throw the ball. If SHG had brought some starters back in or even thrown the ball or ran a trick play with the reserves the Peoria coach would have likely complained about SHG running up the score. I think the reason Thornton was using his timeouts at the end was out of spite. He knew they weren't going to win but they wanted to inflict as much damage on the team that ruined their dreams (at least the reserves)as he could before the game ended. The body slamming of our player had nothing to do with making a tackle or trying to get back into the game. It sure looked like he was trying to inflict pain there.
I can understand the huge disappointment of being one game away from the dream of playing in a state championship and then just being utterly dominated by your opponent. It hurts to be on the receiving end of a beat down in a big game. We went through that a few years ago in a game played at Joliet. We handled that ugly defeat with class though. Coach Sharp and his players lined up to shake our hands after the game because they knew they could do so without a fight breaking out. That wasn't the case yesterday as the Peoria sideline was out of control.

#53 GHSGRAD77

GHSGRAD77

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:04 PM

View PostTeetime, on 23 November 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

It wasn't a comment in the paper. It was on the PJStar message board and was written by GBGII, I think.

He was at the PND game in Lemont.

Yes it was in the forum game thread, not the article on the game.

#54 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

I keep coming back to what I see as disrespect of his own players.  Keeping the starters in, even if it had led to another cheap TD against our reserves (which, I will point out, our kids did not allow) would not have changed the outcome.   Meanwhile his reserves who had worked all summer and all season, some of them seniors, were ignored.  I cannot excuse or respect a coach who would do that nor name another who would.  

This guy has a reputation for running up the score in victory.  Those inner city kids of his need a role model to teach them real respect and behavior - not reinforce bad ones.  I'm thinking of Matt Lauber, Southeast's new coach.  Similar situation yet I can't see this happening there.

#55 GHSGRAD77

GHSGRAD77

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:07 PM

There was a post in the PJ Star in the forum the the all state player that body slammed Blair had something posted bragging about his hit. I hit on the link, but it might have been taken down.

Anyway the coaches that selected him all state could take that award away from him?

#56 chgoalm

chgoalm

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:19 PM

It looks like Hudl took the clip down (and rightfully so).  The player in question, however, is apparently not only not sorry for the play, but publicly bragging about it:

https://www.facebook....london?fref=ts

Internet posts like this last forever and can have consequences, kids.

#57 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

His name is Lacale London #44 and I understand that he made the All State team and I heard that he and other All Staters will be introduced before our game Saturday. If he shows up I would ask that everyone resist the urge to boo him. Just because he has no class doesn't mean that we have to stoop to his level.

http://www.hudl.com/...ights/208065189

Edited by OSUBucks, 23 November 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#58 GHSGRAD77

GHSGRAD77

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:30 PM

View Postchgoalm, on 23 November 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

It looks like Hudl took the clip down (and rightfully so).  The player in question, however, is apparently not only not sorry for the play, but publicly bragging about it:

https://www.facebook....london?fref=ts

Internet posts like this last forever and can have consequences, kids.

Sorry, not on Facebook. What did he say?

#59 captain'00

captain'00

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:24 AM

"Caught another body" was the caption to a frame by frame shot of his suplex. Then a video of the play with the caption "last play as a lion".

#60 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:13 AM

View PostGHSGRAD77, on 23 November 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

Anyway the coaches that selected him all state could take that award away from him?

These are the same guys who rated Varble and Spates ovet Gabe Green.  I doubt they could withdraw it but even if they could, there's no reason to think they would.  The punk is a senior.  There is no penalty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users