• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

All.... After viewing a couple of other boards it looks like the school has posted a position for a new football head coach. This will never stop until Lincoln figures out how to get the kids out at the JFL level and produce a quality product. Lincoln can be more than just a basketball town..... Ratsy

#2 Teetime

Teetime

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:36 PM

I agree.

#3 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:57 PM

They have a pretty strong JFL program.  For whatever reason, it doesn't transfer to the HS level.
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#4 Bobby Hill

Bobby Hill

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:11 AM

They just need the right coach to breathe the right energy at the right time.  Any Sangamo coaches that might be a good fit and looking to prove themselves on a bigger stage?

#5 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:41 PM

View PostOldFan, on 31 December 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

They have a pretty strong JFL program.  For whatever reason, it doesn't transfer to the HS level.

All.... Many of those kids won't go out because of the lack of success at that H.S. level. This has to change. Increase the JFL participation and figure out how to keep them into the program through high school. Difficult at best. The lack of an adequate roster spells doom against most if not all the other CS8 teams. Ratsy

#6 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

All.... I forgot to add the region proposal wouldn't do much for Lincoln either. The latest non-binding grouping for the Railsplitters are as follows. Ratsy

Lincoln
Bloomington Central Catholic
Mahomet-Seymour
Mt. Zion
Paris
Rantoul
Rochester
Taylorville

#7 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

They're a one high school District with no close private competition.  They should be on a par with teams like Taylorville, Effingham, Monticello, even Rochester.   Maybe instead of another head coach they should be hiring an assastant specifically to be a liaison with the JFL teams and groom players for the HS program.  Or go out and hire someone like Dave Bates or Derek Leonard as a consultant to come in and tell them how it can be done.  

Insanity is endlessly repeating the same action and expecting  a different outcome.  If they really CAN'T get it done, they should seriously consider dropping football.

#8 Bobby Hill

Bobby Hill

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:24 PM

Maybe the fact that there is no competition is part of the issue? I always think competition in all forms makes you better.

Dropping football just because you haven't won seems like a bad idea. I think I like the - hire a better coach idea, hire better assistants, provide better facilities - route instead. Doesn't everyone assume Rourke or Leonard(s) as the coach would change the outcome of more than a few games?

#9 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:48 AM

View PostBobby Hill, on 01 January 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

Maybe the fact that there is no competition is part of the issue? I always think competition in all forms makes you better.

Dropping football just because you haven't won seems like a bad idea. I think I like the - hire a better coach idea, hire better assistants, provide better facilities - route instead. Doesn't everyone assume Rourke or Leonard(s) as the coach would change the outcome of more than a few games?

This year, no.  The skills and numbers imbalance was so bad that they never even had a chance at winning a game.  They would have been no better than 2-7 in a 2A-3A conference like the Sangamo.

#10 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:13 PM

All.... SJR reporting Lincoln has hired Seth Bass. A young gentleman who was an assistant coach at Herman H.S. (Missouri) that went 9-3. Before that he was the AD for McClain Christian Academy out of Tennessee.

Hopefully Coach Bass can build the program back up. Ratsy

#11 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:02 PM

Great article about coach Bass in the Lincoln Courier ( http://www.lincolnco...ports/150219435 )  The young man clearly GETS it, to wit "I know the big problem is losing kids from JFL,” Bass said. “We got to break that. We got to get players who played in the past to come back. We’ll be very involved as a staff and team with the JFL program and build a strong bridge with them so kids dream about being a Lincoln football player. -

Now we'll see if he can do it. More power to him.  We can always use another strong opponent.

#12 Bobby Hill

Bobby Hill

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:09 PM

Someone posted on IHSS that Corn Belt has meeting to consider Lincoln and Bishop Mac today. Anybody else hear I this is true?

#13 captain'00

captain'00

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

No, but I'd welcome the open week on the schedule for "Montini-like" competition.

#14 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:30 PM

All.... The problem with a nine team conference was finding  a school to play that non con game in week 2 through 7. That would have to be dealt with in a different way. I don't believe if the Railsplitters did leave the CS8 the remaining members would allow it for football only. Ratsy

#15 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:06 PM

Ratsy

football is why they want out, I imagine

Edited by OldFan, 03 November 2015 - 11:06 PM.

#16 Bobby Hill

Bobby Hill

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:06 AM

Then CS* is back to looking for #10...Does a drive to Quincy appeal to anyone?

#17 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:51 PM

Too bad we can't go back to 8, with a balanced schedule and room for two NCs.  QND is more interesting for other sports, football not so.   They can't beat Rochester after all

#18 Teetime

Teetime

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:52 PM

The "Big 12" only has 11 members as I see it.

So every week,one Big 12 team is out looking for an opponent That looks to me like an opportunity.

#19 captain'00

captain'00

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:39 PM

8 was ideal, but the team from Indy that was on the schedule a few years ago came when there were 9 in the conference. No reason that a high quality, out of state opponent couldn't be scheduled for that open week again.

#20 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:56 PM

All.... A poster over on the IHSS board reporting that Lincoln has been offered, for all sports. Ratsy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users