• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:32 PM

All.... As many have probably read (or heard) Coach Luke has decided to step down from coaching and teaching at SHS for personal and  family reasons.

It will be interesting to see once again what the administration over at SHS will be looking for. If a sign happens to pop up on West Washington Street a block or so from Chatham Road that says "No Poaching"  well don't look at me.... Ratsy

#2 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:48 AM

All.... The SJR a couple of days ago reported that SHS is taking applications for the HC coach up to April 23, than they will review them and make a decision. Ratsy

#3 Bobby Hill

Bobby Hill

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:15 AM

Last day to get your application in!

#4 Bobby Hill

Bobby Hill

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:47 PM

An announcement has to on the way, right?  I am sure the school that loses it's coach at this late date is going to be a little salty.

#5 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:22 PM

All.... This week supposedly. Ratsy

#6 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:49 AM

All.... In the State Journal Register today Springfield High will hire Coach Roy Gulley. Three years with West Prairie and a fourth when they went co-op with B-PC. Coach was also an assistant for three years at Galesburg. Ratsy

#7 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:01 AM

View Postcornerrat, on 17 May 2015 - 09:49 AM, said:

All.... In the State Journal Register today Springfield High will hire Coach Roy Gulley. Three years with West Prairie and a fourth when they went co-op with B-PC. Coach was also an assistant for three years at Galesburg. Ratsy

All.... Actually this is what the SJR says . " In his four seasons  at West Prairie - the  first three prior to the co-op with B-PC  - Gully's teams were a combined 3-33 with those three wins coming in the 2014 season  as the Spartans  started 3-1 before five straight losses."  Ratsy

#8 Bobby Hill

Bobby Hill

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:07 PM

Does that really say 3-33?

#9 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:52 PM

View PostBobby Hill, on 17 May 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

Does that really say 3-33?

Yes, it really is 3-33. That was a very tough situation coaching at West Sciota before the merger. Coaches who know him speak well of him, both as a man and his football knowledge. It will be interesting to watch how things develop at SHS. There are athletes walking the hall at SHS that Gully never had the likes of at his former school.

#10 Bobby Hill

Bobby Hill

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:07 PM

Well, good to hear other speak well of him. I wish him the best. On it's face (and that is all I have to go by), a coach with a 3-33 record on his resume makes me think the candidate pool may have been thin. Again,I wish him all the best.

#11 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:17 PM

All.... I don't know how many applied but this gentleman (after researching articles) is a motivator, stresses character building and what dedication and hard work can achieve. He also interacts well with his players which is a big key. He has all the tools, if the kids at SHS go for it the Senators will be back on track. OSU is correct, low player numbers before the merger made it quite difficult for success. Ratsy

#12 Bobby Hill

Bobby Hill

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:15 AM

I read the SJR and this hire I really puzzling to me...if I was on the board I might have some questions.

#13 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

All.... Obviously Gary and whoever else involved went with who they liked. This morning Davey Joe (yes him lol) a big SHS fan (who hangs out with Titan fans when they play SHG by the way :oh_yeah:  ) called into Sammy's 1450AM show and expressed his umm.... ehh... concern. Other Senators he said were of the same mindset. Kicked around in this conversation on the air was a possible lack of numbers in individuals applying. Haven't a clue  and just guessing but I think that's a bit presumptuous.  I think many applied. We will see how it all works out.... Ratsy

#14 Bobby Hill

Bobby Hill

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:32 PM

I am with Davey Joe. Something just isn't right for that resume to get pulled out of a stack.

He may be great (and I hope he is) but, but, but...a 2a, wing t, 3-33 resume gets you set aside from the "lets investigate more" pile...

#15 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:21 PM

View PostBobby Hill, on 18 May 2015 - 09:32 PM, said:

I am with Davey Joe. Something just isn't right for that resume to get pulled out of a stack.

He may be great (and I hope he is) but, but, but...a 2a, wing t, 3-33 resume gets you set aside from the "lets investigate more" pile...

All.... Don't get me wrong. Any coach that doesn't produce winning seasons for District 186 after an appropriate amount of time will be in trouble. Once again we will see.... Ratsy

#16 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

All.... Channel 1450.com has the preview on Springfield. Coach Gully on a previous radio interview expressed how he liked the triple option offense. And that's what the Senators (see the video) appear they will go with.

If a team runs it with great expertise it's a beast to stop. New Lenox (Providence) found that out a few years in the championship game against Cary Grove. When this offensive style works it can grind up large amounts of time.

There are many complicated  philosophies to combat this style of offense. I think the key is of course heavy pressure on the qb. A mistake by the signal caller spells big trouble. Discipline by the linebackers as the play unfolds is also critical.  The Senators qb can throw as well and is experienced. SHG vs SHS week 1. Ratsy

#17 captain'00

captain'00

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:32 PM

Running clock. SHG 1-0.

#18 BrokeDad

BrokeDad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:04 PM

Don't sell the Senators short this season. From the information I have gathered, the coaching change was the best thing for the program. There is currently over 100 young men in the program, and they are being worked hard by the coaches. First two games are going to be a huge challenge, but I think the Senators are going to show up ready to play and compete.

#19 Bobby Hill

Bobby Hill

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:34 AM

First two games are tough for any team...but what do you think their record will be after 5 games?

#20 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:49 PM

I haven't been able to find the full conference schedule.  If you have, could you let me know where.  Otherwise, who does SHS play in games 3, 4, 5?
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users