• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:07 AM

Yes, Rochester has some serious skill weapons, but I was stunned by the success of their running game. Didn't hear the stats, but the Hedges kid might've had 150 yards. The RHS passing game is top notch for sure, but if their O line can open that many holes, wait until we face a bigger run team.

The tackling looked liked a rerun from a couple years back, sloppy and sometimes silly.

Thank goodness for Sam Sergent and our dominant O line. Credit to Avery Andrews for his excellent work on the Stallworth kid too. Our passing game, despite its predictability, was also very good.

#22 chgoalm

chgoalm

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:11 AM

There aren't many teams in the State, regardless of class, who have the weapons on the perimeter that Rochester has. That ability to spread out the defense has a lot to do with their success running. We even put Albert O outside to double up their receivers a few times if I remember right.

#23 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:26 AM

There is some truth in both of the 2 previous posts. I know how hard Rochester is to defend. Derek knows how to make you defend sideline to sideline as well as vertically.. That said I had hoped that the run D would be better tonight. If it doesn't get better soon a deep playoff run will be difficult. A few weeks ago Chatham rushed for 179 against this D and this was a down year for them. As Cyclops alluded to I had flashbacks to that team from several years ago with the tackling I saw tonight.
Our Secondary did make some very fine plays in pass defense tonight. Stallworth wasn't a big factor thanks to Andrews. The #4 Cox is athletic and very fast.
Rochester shouldn't have had their last score of the first half. In that drive they had a 4th and 1 around our 30 yard line. I had a birds eye view from my seat and the Rochester back was stopped well short but they gave him the first down. I don't have a clue what the official was looking at there. I'm not so sure that our FG attempt in the 4th quarter wasn't good either.

#24 chgoalm

chgoalm

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:35 AM

View PostOSUBucks, on 24 October 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

There is some truth in both of the 2 previous posts. I know how hard Rochester is to defend. Derek knows how to make you defend sideline to sideline as well as vertically.. That said I had hoped that the run D would be better tonight. If it doesn't get better soon a deep playoff run will be difficult. A few weeks ago Chatham rushed for 179 against this D and this was a down year for them. As Cyclops alluded to I had flashbacks to that team from several years ago with the tackling I saw tonight.
Our Secondary did make some very fine plays in pass defense tonight. Stallworth wasn't a big factor thanks to Andrews. The #4 Cox is athletic and very fast.
Rochester shouldn't have had their last score of the first half. In that drive they had a 4th and 1 around our 30 yard line. I had a birds eye view from my seat and the Rochester back was stopped well short but they gave him the first down. I don't have a clue what the official was looking at there. I'm not so sure that our FG attempt in the 4th quarter wasn't good either.

I had a pretty good view of the FG attempt, it definitely looked wide

#25 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:41 AM

When all 11 players on defense knew they stopped Rochester on that 4th down, our entire sideline and stands, the Rochester players and stands reacted as if they were stopped, it's hard to watch the ref place the ball a yard and a half ahead of forward progress. Our coaches were able to confirm the stop on film. Incredible.

Rochester will likely be the most diverse offense we play and for that we'll be better. Their run game, however, could have been stopped and needed to be taken away, but we didn't do it.

#26 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:47 AM

View Postchgoalm, on 24 October 2015 - 12:35 AM, said:

View PostOSUBucks, on 24 October 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

I had a pretty good view of the FG attempt, it definitely looked wide
Ken was obviously closer to the field than I was and he thought it was good. You may be right though as from my seat I didn't have a good angle.

Edited by OSUBucks, 24 October 2015 - 12:49 AM.

#27 captain'00

captain'00

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:54 AM

http://www.channel14...Past-R/22104747

After watching this:
- 311 rushing for Sergent who's healthy
- Only 1 catch by Rochesters stud Stalleorth all night
- Ken finally took the restricter plate off Albert O and he was a load

All that in mind, and Bonansinga only scored once, no mention of Blair or Lee. This is exactly the type of game the team needs before the playoffs. Albert said it in his post game comments about this being a playoff type game w/o elimination. Thinking about it that way, he's right and they showed how they'll preform when the lights are brightest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users