• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pioneer1

Pioneer1

Forum Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:14 PM

#1 - The size of your crowd. Holy crap that was a lot of people.

#2 - The play of your QB. I've never seen a high school kid be that accurate over the course of an entire game. When I looked down at my program in the 3rd Quarter and saw that he is only a junior I nearly passed out.

#3 - The play of your O-line. They were small and couldn't handle our D-line on run plays...buy boy-oh-boy could they pass block. In my opinion, their pass-blocking was the key to the game.

Our boys had a couple of fumbles but for the most part they played their game. We just hadn't seen a passing attack quite like that. You may have gotten lucky that Joliet and Morris were in 6A this year....but I also think that your passing attack would have given anyone problems.
Congratulations.

#2 03SHGgrad

03SHGgrad

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:19 PM

The thing about if we played Morris or JCA is kind of the same as playing you guys.  They would not have seen a passing attack like ours either.  Most teams who run the ball almost exclusively see the same thing in their conferences.  I am not so say who would win and SHG vs. Morris/JCA game but I think it would be very high scoring.  Espcually if the teams only had a week to prepare (such as ina the playoffs).  It is probably just as hard to prepare for a double wing back or wishbone in one week as it is to prepare for the high powered spread offense that SHG has.  Even with SHG suring up its run defense after the regular season, we have not seen anyone like Benson or Dergo, and they have not seen anyone like Brenneison, Reavy, or Sanders.  I think SHG would have competed in both games. All three coaches are very well respected and smart.  It would have been fun to watch, I know that much!!!

#3 abruzzi51

abruzzi51

Elite Member

• Up In Heaven
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (Pioneer1 @ Nov 29 2005, 12:14 PM)

#2 - The play of your QB. I've never seen a high school kid be that accurate over the course of an entire game. When I looked down at my program in the 3rd Quarter and saw that he is only a junior I nearly passed out.

#3 - The play of your O-line. They were small and couldn't handle our D-line on run plays...buy boy-oh-boy could they pass block. In my opinion, their pass-blocking was the key to the game.

Our boys had a couple of fumbles but for the most part they played their game. We just hadn't seen a passing attack quite like that. You may have gotten lucky that Joliet and Morris were in 6A this year....but I also think that your passing attack would have given anyone problems.
Congratulations.

A couple more amazing things

1.  The talent and discipline of the Alleman team

2.  The class shown by your coaches, team, parents and fans

It's a shame two teams couldn't have won that game.  You guys are the best.  I'll root for Alleman anytime they're not playing SHG.  You have a new fan.

#4 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (abruzzi51 @ Nov 29 2005, 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (Pioneer1 @ Nov 29 2005, 12:14 PM)

Congratulations.

A couple more amazing things

1.  The talent and discipline of the Alleman team

2.  The class shown by your coaches, team, parents and fans

It's a shame two teams couldn't have won that game.  You guys are the best.  I'll root for Alleman anytime they're not playing SHG.  You have a new fan.

I hate guys who include long quotes in forum posts, but in this case I had to.

Alleman is a class act, and that can only mean that your administration and coaches put the same value on honor and maturity as we believe ours do.  Of the teams we met in the playoffs this year, only Morton comes close to you guys in style and sportsmanship.  From the lack of trash talk before the game to the obvious pride in your team despite a hard-fought loss, Alleman is the real deal.

I read the article about the game in the Quad Cities paper.  Unlike the stuff we saw from the Chicago area papers the week before, the article on Sunday showed a team that is secure enough in itself to not only stand proud without whining excuses, but also to give credit to a worthy oppoonent.

Like Joliet Catholic, Alleman is  foe that we can be proud of facing.  Like Abruzzi, I'll happily cheer for you guys (against anyone except SHG, of course)
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#5 90runnerup

90runnerup

Forum Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:38 PM

Definitely two classy programs doing it the way it is supposed to be done.

The game turned out almost exactly as I had pictured it.

Congrats and I will continue to root for SHG as well (as long as you're not playing Alleman)

#6 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:28 PM

Yea - no cheap shots, un-sportsmanlike activity . . . as we saw from some of our other competition . . . and not a lot of penalties overall - offsides, delay of game, etc. - good game . . . of course I am happy with the outcome . . . but from the Alleman perspective - they have everything to be proud of.

#7 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 02:39 AM

Pioneer1, we'll never play a more classy team than Alleman. Abruzzi and OldFan neatly describe my feelings about your team and your school. I also thought it was classy that the Pioneers stayed around and watched SHG receive their 1st place trophy. When I heard that your quarterback Doyle was one of the top students in his class I wasn't surprised at all. In fact you could surmise that just from watching how the young man directed the offense.
We know firsthand here how it feels to come up just short of winning the championship. I still think of that game in 95' when the Championship slipped away from us after we lead practically the entire game against a heavily favored Providence team. Your time will come too and like the other guys said I'll be rooting for you except when you play us. Good luck next season.

#8 Tailgater

Tailgater

Forum Member

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:13 AM

Well I would like to add my 2 cents worth here, I went over friday night with the tailgate trailer so I could get set up early in our tent, The hotel was full of Alleman fans and they were the nicest bunch of people you could ever meet. We stood and traded tailgate ideas and discussed the upcoming game and every last one would say good luck and lets just have a good game. So my hats off to some great football fans!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users