• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cyc2255

cyc2255

Forum Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:57 AM

Does anyone think that the large crowd size of this year's championship game could be attributed to more confidence from the cyclone nation, compared to say, the 2003 game when we faced JCA.  I kind of feel that attendance was lower that year because less people were as confident about facing such a perennial power. Or maybe it was just the nice weather?

Any thoughts? :happy:

#2 03SHGgrad

03SHGgrad

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:18 AM

I do see your point.  I know I had more confidence this year than in 2003.  However, I do think the horrible weather had alot to do with it in 03.  Me and my buddies went up on friday night and we had to go literally 45-50 on I-72 because it was covered in one big sheet of ice.  We saw several cars in the ditch.  The same was for sat. morning.

This year, everyone was watching the forecast and saw no snow, not much wind, and temps in the 40's.

I also think alot of impartial cs8 fans or "kind of" SHG fans went to the game because they knew we had a great chance of winning along with the good weather.

Just my thoughts though...

#3 cycs5187

cycs5187

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:04 AM

Dont forget that we had the 2nd largest SHG crowd that I have ever seen in Champaign in 03. I dont know for sure, but I bet there wasnt more than 1,000 person difference between the two crowds (03 & 05). Maybe I am way off on this.

#4 cycs5187

cycs5187

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:09 AM

Dont get me wrong - 1,000 people can make a big difference at a HS football game, but when you are at U of I, it is not as easy to notice.

#5 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:02 PM

All kinds of factors...

Great weather,  look at how much differenct it is one week later.  This year was the unusual one.  In '03 there was the cold and ice and snow.  Last year they had freezing wind and rain.  Remember, running teams win more often than not just because championship weekend weather is usually so awful.

A much more wide-spread confidence throughout not just the Cyclone Nation but even in the rest of the conference/city.  I know some of those there were not usually SHG fans, but climbed onto the bandwagon.  I can't speak for everyone, but I started expecting a State championship right after the first Chatham game that we won fairly easily with only half of our starters.    Peopel like to be part of something like that.

Proximity.  Of all the teams playing. we had the second-shortest trip after Normal.  I'm sure that worked ith the good weather to bring some of the more casual SHG fans or even non-SHG-fans out expecting a good game.
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#6 03SHGgrad

03SHGgrad

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Dec 3 2005, 10:02 AM)
I'm sure that worked ith the good weather to bring some of the more casual SHG fans or even non-SHG-fans out expecting a good game.

This a very good point.  This was being hypted(sp??) as one of the best games of the weekend.  And it probably was the 2nd best game to the OT LWE win over Maine South.

#7 cycsis

cycsis

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:28 PM

Dont get me wrong - 1,000 people can make a big difference at a HS football game, but when you are at U of I, it is not as easy to notice.

Some of the boys have said that they really good tell that we had the bigger crowd.

#8 ziggy

ziggy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:36 PM

plus we were playing a team we knew we would beat, everyone wants to be there for a win ..... unlike 03' when JCA was just a better team.

#9 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:53 PM

Confidence sure played a part. SHG falling short in 2003 may also play into why there were even more people this year. There were too many times when this ending should have happened. I was at ISU in 1995 vs Providence and there were a ton of people there too. By the way, that Friday night 7:00 p.m. game had a wind chill of about 20 below when the game started. I don't think the weather played too much of a role this time. It did make it easier to watch the game though.
"Reclaim the Gold."

#10 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 07:26 PM

A... Your right about the 95 game, it was bitter. Was cooking "brats" that night behind the fence by the stands, could of sold a million of them as the smell went up into the stands.....  yum.gif   Ratsy

#11 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (JFLdadGHS87 @ Dec 4 2005, 02:53 PM)
By the way, that Friday night 7:00 p.m. game had a wind chill of about 20 below when the game started. I don't think the weather played too much of a role this time. It did make it easier to watch the game though.

I can't agree with that about 1995 - - - and could be wrong - - -

I remember what I was wearing and just spoke with one of my buddies who was there with me and also with my two family members who were seniors on that team . . . we all remember it being chilly - but not that cold . . .

Here is the deal - bigger crowd in 1995 and 2005 - the weather in 2003 was horrid - - - that's all . . .

#12 03SHGgrad

03SHGgrad

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 08:35 PM

I was at the game and it was freezing

#13 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (03SHGgrad @ Dec 4 2005, 06:35 PM)
I was at the game and it was freezing

'95?

Yeah, it was cold.  With a cold wind and snow flurries sweeping across the field.  At one point, it was even freezing rain.  Hard to be sure, but I think I was even colder than in '03.

The worst night I can remember for a championship season was the first game in '75, at home against a heavily favored Lincoln team.  Freezing rain fell for most of the game but the field was warm at the start.  Ice on everything BUT the field, and that was a big mud puddle.  GHS (The real one, not the Chatham pretenders) won 9-6.  The championship game that year wsn't that bad - cold but dry.

Don't remember much about '83.  Maybe it just wasn't so bad.
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#14 03SHGgrad

03SHGgrad

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:12 PM

Yes I was talking about 95.  I too think it was colder than 03.

#15 chgoalm

chgoalm

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:31 PM

'95 was a lot worse than 2003.  Colder, and it was at night.  I also remember the quarterfinal game that year against Bethalto was right after a big ice/snow storm, and that wasn't too warm either.

#16 cyclops

cyclops

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

I definitely think a big contributor to the large crowd was the feeling that we had a real shot at this being the year.  Allemen was a heckuva football team, but it sure looked on paper that we'd get our points.....and we did.

I also think that interest in SHG football is at its highest and growing.  It's darn exciting football, the spread offense is sophisticated and hard for opponent's to prepare.  Don't underestimate the value of exposure, like internet broadcasts and most importantly, this website.  Visitors aren't exaggerating when they say how much they like this site and forum.   We've got fans following around the country and if they can stay involved, they'd be more apt to want to see the real show.  

Good job, Steve.

#17 abruzzi51

abruzzi51

Elite Member

• Up In Heaven
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:34 PM

I think this thread just shows that size DOES matter. dance.gif

#18 Guest_SHSgrad_*

Guest_SHSgrad_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (abruzzi51 @ Dec 5 2005, 11:34 AM)
I think this thread just shows that size DOES matter. dance.gif

OK, I just choked on my popcorn at work, you are too funny! :lol:

#19 Steve

Steve

THE

• Admin
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (cyclops @ Dec 5 2005, 11:27 AM)
Don't underestimate the value of exposure, like internet broadcasts and most importantly, this website.  Visitors aren't exaggerating when they say how much they like this site and forum.   We've got fans following around the country and if they can stay involved, they'd be more apt to want to see the real show.

Thanks cyclops for the compliments.  To build upon what you said, I've received emails/messages about the site/team from Arizona, California, New York, Colorado, Virginia, Florida....the list goes on.  People have followed the team while in Europe and even soldiers over in the Middle East catch up with what's going on (we appreciate your service  clap.gif ).  I've been told numerous times that this site has allowed people to "reconnect" not only to the football program but also to the school and community.  That is all I could have hoped for and more...and my aspirations are to make this site and online community even better...

And abruzzi...

Hill-larry-us  :lol:

#20 abruzzi51

abruzzi51

Elite Member

• Up In Heaven
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:09 PM

Hey, Steve, I don't think we users can thank you enough for what you've done with this site and the opportunity you've given us.  I don't know what you can do to make it much better.  Just know that we all appreciate your hard work in giving us a way to stay connected to the football program.

Missed you at the coaches' party last night.  You need to get in the Century Club.  I did give your dad something to think about, though. Ask him about it. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users