55 replies to this topic

#21 4everfan7

4everfan7

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:27 PM

The school was consulted first at least that is what I was told.

#22 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:21 PM

All... Boy....When the season is over the "cyclone legion" has to stretch to find something to talk or argue about. Its not like there are 10,000 items for sale in town with SHG Championship plastered on it. Remember that old platitude no news is bad news. I still think its great to see people wearing SHG "stuff" out in the public regardless who is selling it, great advertising. Hope I see more have to add to my shrine..... :goodjob:   Ratsy

#23 captain'00

captain'00

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:51 PM

i hesitated for so long & tried to keep from posting on this topic, but here goes...

i learned in a history class some years ago, that it's rather unpatriotic to have the american flag plastered on everything, from boxers, bandanas, folders and everything else.  it's one thing to love one's country, but too much gets to be disrespectful.

on a similar note, i LOVE this school.  and i hate the idea of "us" becoming this group of fans that has to plaster our name all over everything.  i would also hate for a select few of "us" to try to profit from the success of the program by plastering the name all over the place.  by selling mini helmets and the signatures of these "kids".  the ONLY people/group that should profit from the success of, not just this team, but past teams and future teams, is the program.  a "portion" of the proceeds isn't enough.  ALL the proceeds should go to the program, otherwise there are those who will try to make themselves look "generous" by donating a "portion" of the proceeds, while pocketing most of the revenue.

#24 4everfan7

4everfan7

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:40 PM

Ratsy I agree with you ,I am embarrassed that I allowed myself into this thread. Go  Cyclones in 2006!  rockon.gif

#25 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 06:41 PM

It would appear that people who are attempting to gain personally from this year's title are probably bandwagon folks who are jumping on for the ride. They can rot as far as I am concerned. They will gripe if there are no future successes.
"Reclaim the Gold."

#26 abruzzi51

abruzzi51

Elite Member

• Up In Heaven
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:07 PM

Chuck_Duck2, it sounds like you have some really dynamic fundraising ideas.  Just a suggestion, why don't you call Jim Van Leer, president of the SHG Booster Club Board, volunteer to take a seat on the board and have yourself placed with the group that handles apparel.  With your know-how, I'm sure they will be turning a profit for the kids in no time, not to mention the joy you'll experience in sharing your brilliance with everyone.  First, though you have to join the Booster Club to be on the Board. You are a member, aren't you?

It's always refreshing to see someone who wants to dig in and get their hands dirty and not just sit back and take pot-shots at this hardworking group of volunteers.  There are alot of those around.  Of course, you'll also be expected to actually take your turn at selling the apparel at football, basketball (boys and girls), soccer (boys and girls), baseball and softball games and track meets and taking inventories .  Oh, and let's not forget working bingo, trivia nights, Texas hold'ems, the concession stand, selling 50-50 tickets and every other fund raiser.  Brilliant ideas just aren't enough for this group of stern taskmasters. But, I'm sure that's no hill for a climber.

And you'll also be pleased to know that all the proceeds from the booster club are given freely to the Domincan Sisters to decide what is best, just like your donation.

#27 chgoalm

chgoalm

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (cornerrat @ Dec 28 2005, 12:21 PM)
All... Boy....When the season is over the "cyclone legion" has to stretch to find something to talk or argue about. Its not like there are 10,000 items for sale in town with SHG Championship plastered on it. Remember that old platitude no news is bad news. I still think its great to see people wearing SHG "stuff" out in the public regardless who is selling it, great advertising. Hope I see more have to add to my shrine..... :goodjob:   Ratsy

Exactly.  Cripes, someone comes up with a unique idea to recognize the school's acheivement, gives up valuable window space in the mall to sell and advertise it (probably not selling a ton of these things compared to what else they could place there, because honestly most people in this city and area with no connection to the school could care less) which also advertises the school to many passers-by, gives some of the money received to the school, and gets raked over the coals by some of you people.  Which do you think will get the school more money, selling through the boosters, getting 100% back, or selling through a mall vendor, getting a portion back?  If you even have to think about that for a second, you need to attend a few remedial Business or Markenting classes.  While you're at it, why not critisize the billboard company for the profit they're making off the billboard down the road, or 1450 for the profit they make off of their radio broadcasts.  There are a lot of local businesses who advertise on those broadcasts, better get on them as well if they're seeing any return from their advertising during games.

Edited by chgoalm, 28 December 2005 - 07:53 PM.

#28 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (chgoalm @ Dec 28 2005, 06:48 PM)
All... Boy....When the season is over the "cyclone legion" has to stretch to find something to talk or argue about. Its not like there are 10,000 items for sale in town with SHG Championship plastered on it. Remember that old platitude no news is bad news. I still think its great to see people wearing SHG "stuff" out in the public regardless who is selling it, great advertising. Hope I see more have to add to my shrine..... :goodjob:   Ratsy

Exactly.  Cripes, someone comes up with a unique idea to recognize the school's acheivement, gives up valuable window space in the mall to sell and advertise it (probably not selling a ton of these things compared to what else they could place there, because honestly most people in this city and area with no connection to the school could care less) which also advertises the school to many passers-by, gives some of the money received to the school, and gets raked over the coals by some of you people.  Which do you think will get the school more money, selling through the boosters, getting 100% back, or selling through a mall vendor, getting a portion back?  If you even have to think about that for a second, you need to attend a few remedial Business or Markenting classes.  While you're at it, why not critisize the billboard company for the profit they're making off the billboard down the road, or 1450 for the profit they make off of their radio broadcasts.  There are a lot of local businesses who advertise on those broadcasts, better get on them as well if they're seeing any return from their advertising during games.

You really don't know what you are talking about . . .  doh!.gif

Edited by HasBeen, 28 December 2005 - 11:31 PM.

#29 chgoalm

chgoalm

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (HasBeen @ Dec 28 2005, 10:29 PM)
QUOTE (chgoalm @ Dec 28 2005, 06:48 PM)

You really don't know what you are talking about . . .  doh!.gif

Oh so sorry oh wise one.  Please enlighten me on the wonders of the great business sense you obviously possess that I am lacking.  This whole thread is absurd.  For some of you to whine about a great idea put forward by a few people, to sell a few trinkets around Christmas time (I'm sure very few), probably upset because you didn't think about it first.roll_eyes.gif  roll_eyes.gif

Edited by chgoalm, 28 December 2005 - 11:55 PM.

#30 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:31 AM

Chgoalm . . .

From Chgoalm - "Oh so sorry oh wise one. Please enlighten me on the wonders of the great business sense you obviously possess that I am lacking."

I don't know about my "business sense" or what you have, or I have, or anyone lacks . . . but I have had a direct hand in the generation of over $8 Million in proceeds for SHG.  No joke . . . I know what I am talking about - at least probably more than yourself . . . but again, I don't know whaty you've done for SHG.  Please enlighten me . . .

What is absurd is the extent some people will go to in order to profit at the school's expense . . . there are many of them out there . . . and when asked to really give . . . they turn tail and run . . . for one reason or another . . . so many could benefit so much more if not for the selfishness of others who say they are doing something for the good of the school . . . sure they are . . . after they do something for themself first . . .

Are you enlightened?

Edited by HasBeen, 29 December 2005 - 12:32 AM.

#31 chgoalm

chgoalm

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (HasBeen @ Dec 28 2005, 11:31 PM)
Chgoalm . . .

From Chgoalm - "Oh so sorry oh wise one. Please enlighten me on the wonders of the great business sense you obviously possess that I am lacking."

I don't know about my "business sense" or what you have, or I have, or anyone lacks . . . but I have had a direct hand in the generation of over $8 Million in proceeds for SHG.  No joke . . . I know what I am talking about - at least probably more than yourself . . . but again, I don't know whaty you've done for SHG.  Please enlighten me . . .

What is absurd is the extent some people will go to in order to profit at the school's expense . . . there are many of them out there . . . and when asked to really give . . . they turn tail and run . . . for one reason or another . . . so many could benefit so much more if not for the selfishness of others who say they are doing something for the good of the school . . . sure they are . . . after they do something for themself first . . .

Are you enlightened?

Congrats. But what does your raising so much money for SHG have to do with others selling little helmets to impulse shoppers in the mall.  You act like they're stealing money from the boosters and SHG, when in reality most are probably impulse shoppers, and wouldn't purchase them from the boosters club, since they most likely would not know about them when they were looking for gifts.  And yes, they kept a few dollars from the sales, which would help to make up some money they probably lost by taking up window space with the helmets.  They are a business, after all.

#32 Chuck_Duck2

Chuck_Duck2

Forum Member

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:46 AM

Don't you get it? It's the thought that counts.  doh!.gif

#33 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:55 AM

even a little profit at the expense of this year's accomplishment is wrong.
"Reclaim the Gold."

#34 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:23 PM

I still don't understand and really am perplexed over the outrage fellow legionaires. The scope of what is being sold is so small and to limit the sale to strictly SHG which did not come up with the concept seems silly to me. And by the way I donate to the school. Making a buck is as American as apple pie and to think no one but the school or those associated with SHG are the only one with sale rights is .....rather strange. I say again whats the big deal. The first run of helmets was three dozen. The second run was a hundred. I bet there are still a few left. Rich over SHG has done a great job taking over expanding the line of SHG items, but its impossible to be all and do all when it comes to this "stuff" and there is plenty of room and potential customers (fans) looking for more.  Ratsy

#35 007

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (JFLdadGHS87 @ Dec 28 2005, 04:20 AM)
Anybody who uses this title to profit for themselves miss the bigger picture. The title was about the selflessness of many who helped to get the title. Anybody using it for personal gain does not belong in the Cyclone Nation. PERIOD.

Welcome to America.

#36 007

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:51 PM

I got three of the helmets.  They are nice momentos.

#37 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (cornerrat @ Dec 29 2005, 12:23 PM)
I still don't understand and really am perplexed over the outrage fellow legionaires. The scope of what is being sold is so small and to limit the sale to strictly SHG which did not come up with the concept seems silly to me. And by the way I donate to the school. Making a buck is as American as apple pie and to think no one but the school or those associated with SHG are the only one with sale rights is .....rather strange. I say again whats the big deal. The first run of helmets was three dozen. The second run was a hundred. I bet there are still a few left. Rich over SHG has done a great job taking over expanding the line of SHG items, but its impossible to be all and do all when it comes to this "stuff" and there is plenty of room and potential customers (fans) looking for more.  Ratsy

I still feel it cheapens the accomplishment. Don't get me wrong, I like to see people profit. But is money the only way people can profit? Does it always have to be tangible?
"Reclaim the Gold."

#38 007

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:54 PM

Is it me or is the sanctimony in this thread getting a tad thick?

#39 abruzzi51

abruzzi51

Elite Member

• Up In Heaven
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (007 @ Dec 29 2005, 04:51 PM)
I got three of the helmets.  They are nice momentos.

Geez! DID YA HAVE TO HOG 'EM ALL!?!!? :lol:

#40 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:07 PM

Look - here is the bottom line - you use someone else's success to make a few bucks . . . great for you . . . welcome to America and all that stuff . . .

Even if you make only $1,000 on the venture . . . I can NAME kids who could not go to SHG over $1,000 a year . . . plead your case to them . . .

Don't profit on something that is not yours . . . Mike B 30 - if that makes me stuck-up - I'll take it any day . . .

Ask yourself - what have I given to SHG besides posting my opinion on the web site - or have I profited on them myself??? I don't know - but Chgoalm - you need to show me more . . . everyone has an opinion - what seperates you?  You asked me . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users