#41 chgoalm

chgoalm

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (HasBeen @ Dec 29 2005, 05:07 PM)
Look - here is the bottom line - you use someone else's success to make a few bucks . . . great for you . . . welcome to America and all that stuff . . .

Even if you make only $1,000 on the venture . . . I can NAME kids who could not go to SHG over $1,000 a year . . . plead your case to them . . .

Don't profit on something that is not yours . . . Mike B 30 - if that makes me stuck-up - I'll take it any day . . .

Ask yourself - what have I given to SHG besides posting my opinion on the web site - or have I profited on them myself??? I don't know - but Chgoalm - you need to show me more . . . everyone has an opinion - what seperates you?  You asked me . . .

First off, I'm not getting into my personal life, believe me you don't want to go there and neither do I.  Everyone has their priorities in life, and you nor I are in a position to judge when we know nothing of what each other does or who the other person is.  This is not the point, and you are going way overboard here questioning anyone's integrity and charitable nature just because they may not devote quite the time to our old high school as you do.  

I'm just wondering what problem you have with a store selling a few helmets and giving some of the money to the school (Again...this IS MONEY THE SCHOOL WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN OTHERWISE).  I don't know for sure, but my guess would be this business could've put something up front that would've sold much more and made more money, but decided to do this to prop up the schools accomplishment and give a little back.  They didn't have to do jack squat, or give anything back, but they did and promoted a little local pride in the process.  I say cheers to them  cheers.gif .  I'm done with this.

#42 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (007 @ Dec 29 2005, 04:54 PM)
Is it me or is the sanctimony in this thread getting a tad thick?

Sanctimony??? I am a member of the S.H.G. community, njot the W.H.O.R.E. community. By the  way, are your initials S.D. by chance?
"Reclaim the Gold."

#43 007

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:42 PM

I can understand some of the indignation over this....

But who places "ownership" on a championship?

Fans all across the city feel like they were a part of the season.  The fans who supported the team game in, game out, at home and on the road...  even those who couldn't get to every game in person but never missed Sammy's call on the radio.

You don't have to have been a player, coach, booster or parent to lay a claim to this exciting season.

The fans who lined up along the track to welcome the team in or cheer them off after the game, those who packed the family, filled their fuel tanks and motored off to Lombard, Jerseyville, Morton, or Champaign, those who lived and died with every Cyclone snap...  played a huge part in the season.

I am not saying it is right for someone to make a few bucks selling goods that celebrate the Cyclone championship, I am not saying its wrong either...

Just please don't downplay the importance and ownership that the Cyclone Nation takes in this exciting past season.  It was one for the ages that we will never forget.  rockon.gif  cheers.gif  :goodjob:

#44 007

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (JFLdadGHS87 @ Dec 29 2005, 11:22 PM)
QUOTE (007 @ Dec 29 2005, 04:54 PM)
Is it me or is the sanctimony in this thread getting a tad thick?

Sanctimony??? I am a member of the S.H.G. community, njot the W.H.O.R.E. community. By the  way, are your initials S.D. by chance?

Wow.  I guess I hit a nerve.  Sorry.

No, my initials are not S.D.

Happy New Year.

#45 footballmom

footballmom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:45 PM

As the mom of one of the CHAMPIONS I bought 3 of the helmets and it didn't bother me a bit.  I understand some of the profits were returned to the program.  I also bought the poster this year and some of the profits went to the program but not all. What's the difference?  I think there is just a lot of excitement with this championship and I for one will probably buy whatever they sell. Our home as become a shrine to the SHG football program and I don't think it has ever looked better.

#46 Guest_SHSgrad_*

Guest_SHSgrad_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (footballmom @ Dec 29 2005, 06:45 PM)
As the mom of one of the CHAMPIONS I bought 3 of the helmets and it didn't bother me a bit.  I understand some of the profits were returned to the program.  I also bought the poster this year and some of the profits went to the program but not all. What's the difference?  I think there is just a lot of excitement with this championship and I for one will probably buy whatever they sell. Our home as become a shrine to the SHG football program and I don't think it has ever looked better.

I agree footballmom, I know if my son were a part of this team I would want every trinket they were selling.  If some of the proceeds from sales went back into the program, then I don't see a problem with it.  I think some of the views posted here are with good intentions, but somewhat unrealistic because of the way business is today.  There is greed everywhere, fortunately there are also those who choose to split the profit!

#47 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 04:27 AM

From the Morris Football web site you can purchase a book on the 2005 6A Championship season which was won by Morris. A percentage of the profit goes to the school.

#48 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:19 PM

People, people, people . . .

You are missing my point . . .

Simply . . .

GOOD:

A.  Trinkets and things are great - but let the school and/or booster club take care of it.

B.  If any other entity handles it - that vendor should be contacted by the school - or booster club.  If that is the case, the school/booster club can negotiate with them the profit they make as with any other of their vendors - as they do with everything from this sort of thing to printing to cleaning supplies.

BAD:

A.  Private entities who take this sort of thing and capitalize on it for their own profit.  A "portion of the proceeds" donated back does not cut it for me - and that's just me.

In conclusion . . .

I'll never blame anyone for trying to make a buck, but again - there are a lot of people out there who can't even go to SHG over what some might see as an innocent few bucks . . . plead your case to them . . .

I say they should just register the trademark and copywrite the name - that way people could not touch it, or at least would have to pay them to do so . . . in other words - SHG would have ultimate controll of its own name . . .

Edited by HasBeen, 31 December 2005 - 05:20 PM.

#49 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (HasBeen @ Dec 31 2005, 04:19 PM)
People, people, people . . .

You are missing my point . . .

Simply . . .

GOOD:

A.  Trinkets and things are great - but let the school and/or booster club take care of it.

B.  If any other entity handles it - that vendor should be contacted by the school - or booster club.  If that is the case, the school/booster club can negotiate with them the profit they make as with any other of their vendors - as they do with everything from this sort of thing to printing to cleaning supplies.

BAD:

A.  Private entities who take this sort of thing and capitalize on it for their own profit.  A "portion of the proceeds" donated back does not cut it for me - and that's just me.

In conclusion . . .

I'll never blame anyone for trying to make a buck, but again - there are a lot of people out there who can't even go to SHG over what some might see as an innocent few bucks . . . plead your case to them . . .

I say they should just register the trademark and copywrite the name - that way people could not touch it, or at least would have to pay them to do so . . . in other words - SHG would have ultimate controll of its own name . . .

HASBEEN: Excellent synopsis of the issue. I could not agree with you more.
"Reclaim the Gold."

#50 007

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:49 AM

I think you made your point succinctly several times in this thread already HasBeen.

Some agree with it, some don't.  

Thanks for bringing your points with class.  clap.gif  :goodjob:

#51 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

All...HasBeen, I respect your opinion but if someone comes up with a novel idea I don't see why they would have to share it. Now I know were talking about the SHG logo but ingenuity should be rewarded not shared. I've never heard of a high school having a patent on a school logo but if and until the school decides to do it there seems to be little that can be done. Lastly don't forget what is available thats not at the school has already been cleared by the school.   Ratsy

#52 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:03 PM

Looks like it is time for a new thread.
"Reclaim the Gold."

#53 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (cornerrat @ Jan 1 2006, 03:27 PM)
Lastly don't forget what is available thats not at the school has already been cleared by the school.   Ratsy

Rat - 007 . . . thanks - no disrespect either - you just have to understand my experience with SHG - perhaps at this point - we just must all agree to disagree - or wherever in-between it lies . . .

However - what pushes my buttons about all this is the statement above - not at you personally, Rat - if it is the case this year - it HAS NOT (and believe me - I know this better than most - in fact almost all who would ever read this thread) always been true . . . and I am sure will not be at times in the future . . . which, in my opinion, is unfortuniate for many who wish to, or would have, liked to recieve an SHG education.

I guess you would really have to know me and my experiences to know where I come from on this . . .

With respect to all, but no agreement with anyone who seeks to profit on the football Cycs or SHG as a whole without it going through the school and/or boosters . .  I am . . .as always . . . the Hasbeen . . .

gocycs.gif

#54 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (HasBeen @ Jan 1 2006, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (cornerrat @ Jan 1 2006, 03:27 PM)
Lastly don't forget what is available thats not at the school has already been cleared by the school.   Ratsy

Rat - 007 . . . thanks - no disrespect either - you just have to understand my experience with SHG - perhaps at this point - we just must all agree to disagree - or wherever in-between it lies . . .

However - what pushes my buttons about all this is the statement above - not at you personally, Rat - if it is the case this year - it HAS NOT (and believe me - I know this better than most - in fact almost all who would ever read this thread) always been true . . . and I am sure will not be at times in the future . . . which, in my opinion, is unfortuniate for many who wish to, or would have, liked to recieve an SHG education.

I guess you would really have to know me and my experiences to know where I come from on this . . .

With respect to all, but no agreement with anyone who seeks to profit on the football Cycs or SHG as a whole without it going through the school and/or boosters . .  I am . . .as always . . . the Hasbeen . . .

gocycs.gif

HASBEEN: I have no clue what you were saying with all the run-on sentences. Get off your high horse. Find another topic, PLEASE!!
"Reclaim the Gold."

#55 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (JFLdadGHS87 @ Jan 1 2006, 07:37 PM)
HASBEEN: I have no clue what you were saying with all the run-on sentences. Get off your high horse. Find another topic, PLEASE!!

JFLDad . . .

Don't look then . . .

That's my point wityh it all you don't understand . . .

Heck - I started the topic . . . you just found it. . .

Edited by HasBeen, 01 January 2006 - 09:14 PM.

#56 JFLdadGHS87

JFLdadGHS87

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (JFLdadGHS87 @ Dec 26 2005, 07:12 PM)
2006- win another state title and see if the cost of a trademark would be covered by a win in late November. I say go for it.

I didn't just find it. I have several posts on topic. Okay, we all disagree. Enough said.
"Reclaim the Gold."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users