• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

THE

• Admin
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:48 AM

Alex Reavy has made the decision to be a preferred walk-on for the University of Illinois football program.  With the program on the upswing and the outstanding academic reputation of the U of I, I think Alex has made a great decision.

Congratulations Alex and best of luck as an Illini!  clap.gif  clap.gif  clap.gif

#2 TheRingoKid

TheRingoKid

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order of importance: Cyclone football, Irish football, Cyclone basketball, SHG non-athletic activities, movies, sci fi television.

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:34 PM

We will be looking forward to seeing Alex and Jeff join Eric as Big 10 Cyclones. This could present real "rooting" problems in future years, but what a great problem to have!

#3 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:20 PM

Even if Alex never plays a down of football it's a good decision simply because of the quality of the academics. Illinois had a good recruiting class this year and the biggest strength of that recruiting class was wide receiver. The competition will be very tough but I know that Alex is not one to back off from a big challenge. Good Luck and congratulations to Alex.

#4 ispaiu

ispaiu

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:43 PM

what's a preferred walk-on?
I offer absolutely zero educated insight

#5 Steve

Steve

THE

• Admin
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (ispaiu @ Feb 4 2006, 01:43 PM)

Just means the coaching staff is familiar with them and that they have been officially invited to walk-on to the team.  Also is associated with high-caliber players who could obtain a scholarship at other D-1 programs.

#6 cycs5187

cycs5187

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:41 PM

I think it also means that they are invited to all the pre-season camps with scholarship players, whereas some walk-ons join the first day of classes.  May not be true in all cases, but I know that happens at some schools.

Also, I think this is a great choice for Alex - similiar situation to Josh Norris and he is on the field all of the time. Dont forget Josh is in the Big Ten also!!

#7 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE (cycs5187 @ Feb 4 2006, 10:41 PM)

I think it also means that they are invited to all the pre-season camps with scholarship players, whereas some walk-ons join the first day of classes.  May not be true in all cases, but I know that happens at some schools.

Also, I think this is a great choice for Alex - similiar situation to Josh Norris and he is on the field all of the time. Dont forget Josh is in the Big Ten also!!

Good call on Josh - great kid . . . had the pleasure of working with him when I was an asst. coach at SHG for a couple of years . . . a real coach's player . . . gave 110%, did whatever you asked of him, etc.

Yea - sometimes we tend to overlook the linemen!!!  Speaking from experience though - most line guys accept it as part of the turf . . .  :wink:

#8 007

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (TheRingoKid @ Feb 4 2006, 06:34 PM)
We will be looking forward to seeing Alex and Jeff join Eric as Big 10 Cyclones. This could present real "rooting" problems in future years, but what a great problem to have!

Don't forget that Kenni Burns is also in th eBig Ten at Bloomington where Jeff will be.

#9 cycs5187

cycs5187

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:28 PM

5 guys in the Big Ten is really impressive!

#10 HasBeen

HasBeen

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (cycs5187 @ Feb 5 2006, 04:28 PM)

It is - but I'd rather see 2 guys at ND, 1 at USC, maybe someone at TX and we'll give the last of the five to the Big 10 - OH State.

Wishfull thinking . . . .

#11 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (HasBeen @ Feb 5 2006, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (cycs5187 @ Feb 5 2006, 04:28 PM)

It is - but I'd rather see 2 guys at ND, 1 at USC, maybe someone at TX and we'll give the last of the five to the Big 10 - OH State.

Wishfull thinking . . . .

Yeah - five in the Big 10 is impressive, it's just that the Big Ten isn't very impressive.
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#12 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Feb 5 2006, 09:47 PM)
[Yeah - five in the Big 10 is impressive, it's just that the Big Ten isn't very impressive.

Since college football went to the BCS in the 1998-99 season the Big 10 leads all conferences with 8 BCS victories and 13 BCS berths. The Big 10 has had multiple BCS wins in three different seasons followed by the SEC with 2 and the PAC 10 with 1. The conference has won 3 or more bowl games the last 4 years in a row.
I believe it was two years ago that the Big 10 won 5 bowl games.
How many other conferences can say that? The BIG 10 was a little down this year in my opinion, mainly because of Michigan but year in and year out they're one of the best conferences in the country in football. I didn't want to see OSU matched against Notre Dame in the Fiesta bowl this year as they're my two favorite college teams but it goes without saying that Ohio State represented the conference very well in that game.
To have 5 of our players concurrently playing in the Big 10 really speaks well for our football program.

#13 cs8fan

cs8fan

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:07 AM

Guys, I dont really think that just because they are in the big 10 that there should be anything wrong with that.  I mean think about it, how many other schools in this conference even have a player that plays major d1 football?? I cant think of any off the top of my head, so I think its a great accomplishment, and very impressive, that these guys get to play in the big 10

#14 Steve

Steve

THE

• Admin
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:29 AM

I think that the Big Ten is consistently one of the better football conferences in the country.  It is second only to the SEC, in my opinion.

#15 03SHGgrad

03SHGgrad

Gold Member

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (cycs5187 @ Feb 4 2006, 09:41 PM)

That is correct.  At least here at ISU (DI-AA), schools can only have a certain amount of  players in camp.  To my knowledge it is usually all scholarship players, walk-ons soph-sen year, and preferred walk-ons who are incoming freshman.

If Alex is lucky, he will practice with the regular offense.  More than likley he will start on the scout O team working against the 1st and 2nd string defenses.

#16 gusdog

gusdog

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:08 PM

I'm disappointed in that choice, but since what I want really doesn't matter much to him (I am certain), I wish him good luck in his future endeavours.

#17 77GHSgrad

77GHSgrad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:11 PM

Well, well, another questionable comment by Old Fan. First, he says Zook is a moron, even though he gets the 4th rated recruiting class in the Big Ten. That after the 2-9 season he just finished. I know you will blame him for this, but you can only do so much with what you have. I'm not sure what kind of coach he will be, but it is amazing the kind of talent he will be getting at the U of I.

He is now complaining about the Big 10. OSU made a great point about the success in bowl games, especially going 2-0 in the recent BCS games the Big 10 participated in. I know they didn't win many, if any, of the other games, but I remember them being very competitive.

By the way, do you remember Aaron Moorehead and Greg Lewis? Both of these guys were former walk-on receivers at the U of I and are now playing in the NFL for Indy and Philly. Illinois has had some good success with walk-ons in the past and I hope that Alex falls into that category.

#18 cornerrat

cornerrat

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:04 PM

All... Thats what I truly love about this site which is different from numerous others. A little old fashion in your face (within reason) dialogue, and speaking what is truly on your mind. And everyone still walks away part of the Cyclone legion. As for Alex going to Illinois, the bottom line is simple as is for all players the choice is his and his only.....   Ratsy

#19 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:28 AM

Adore at his altar all you want, and I'll give you that he's a pretty good recruiter, but as far as I'm concerend, the jury's still out on Zook.  When Illinois can beat their Little Sisters of the Poor non-conferece schedule ( all of them - not just one) and finish in the upper bracket of the Big Ten, then we'll know if he's a great coach and not just another SEC reject.

As for the Big Ten, they can get invited to all the little local bowls they want - there's so many of the things that all a D1A school has to win is 6 of 11 to get invited.  Given the Big Tens "Three pushover" non-conference rule, that means winning three conference games.  Perhaps its just my aging memory, but I'm having trouble recalling their dominance in the big bowls that actually MEAN anything.
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#20 captain'00

captain'00

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:08 PM

oldfan....i'm with you.  and it's probably b/c i hate, scratch that HATE, the big 10.  i love this part of the country, but when it comes to sports it's "east coast bias this and poor us that" and if you dont like the big 10 they try to staple some scarlet "A" to your chest.  i'm an acc fan, and i'll be the first to tell you that the pac 10 is the best & toughest conference from top to bottom.  does the big 10 have good teams?  of course, but as a conference they are second in the number of bottom dwellers only when compared to the big 12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users