#22 77GHSgrad

77GHSgrad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:52 PM

Old Fan:

Do you pay any attention to whom Illinois plays in the non conference schedule? Yes, like EVERY major program, they play some weaker teams, but over the past years Illinois has played the likes of Cal (last year they were a top-ranked team), UCLA, USC, Arizona, Wash St, as well as others. Many people talk about Northern Illinois being the best team in Illinois and they have played them.

Next year they will play Missouri and Syracuse. Syracuse had a bad season last year, but these schedules are made out many years in advance.

I believe in recent posts you have expressed yourself as a Notre Dame fan? Why is it that ND schedules 3 to 4 Big 10 teams each year and has been losing to 1 or 2 of them. If the Big 10 is so bad, they should be cleaning up on these teams. Or do you consider Notre Dame as one of the weakling teams you talked about?

In my earlier post, I said the jury is still out on Zook as a coach. You apparantly did read that correctly. I am willing to give him some time to get some athletes here and se what he can do. Your original comment about Zook being a moron because he didn't recruit Reavy was, in my opinion, way off base.

#23 77GHSgrad

77GHSgrad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:18 PM

Captain:

You claim only the Big 10 claims east coast bias? Sorry to disappoint you, but there are several schools and fan bases that will claim that. Have you ever listened to Dukie V? Mike Patrick?

I couldn't tell from you post if you were talking about ACC football or just basketball? I didn't realize the ACC had football.

If the Pac 10 is the best, how did USC lose to that weak team from the Big12 in the National Championship?

By the way, I've never told you or anyone they had to be for the Big 10. I just wanted to correct a couple of inaccurate statements.

#24 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:15 AM

I agree that the PAC 10 is a good football conference. I might also concede that if you compare the teams at the bottom of the Big 10 & PAC 10, the PAC 10 bottom teams might be a little better. The fact is that they are both good conferences.
I checked the Final AP polls from 2000-2005 to see the total number of top 25 finishes for the Big 10 and PAC 10. It just confirmed what I already knew, they're both good. The Big 10 had a slight advantage over the PAC 10 (21-18).
77GHS makes  good points about Notre Dame vs the Big 10 and Illinois non conference opponents. I would add that Ohio State's NC opponents included Miami of Ohio from the Mid America conference (7-4) and Texas.
As stated in an earlier post, SHG's Kenni Burns plays for Indiana, one of those "bottom" teams referred to earlier. He's one of SHG's all time greats and he has one season left at Indiana.  Here's to hoping that Kenni's hard work will be rewarded this year and that he'll be named the starting running back and show everyone what he can do. It's an indicator of the quality of talent in the conference when a guy with Kenni's ability has to wait until his senior year to get a shot at starting for a team that typically is near the bottom of the league.
Best of luck to Kenni and Jeff at Indiana and our other Big 10 players at Illinois and Northwestern.

#25 cycs5187

cycs5187

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:13 AM

As stated in an earlier post, SHG's Kenni Burns plays for Indiana, one of those "bottom" teams referred to earlier. He's one of SHG's all time greats and he has one season left at Indiana. Here's to hoping that Kenni's hard work will be rewarded this year and that he'll be named the starting running back and show everyone what he can do. It's an indicator of the quality of talent in the conference when a guy with Kenni's ability has to wait until his senior year to get a shot at starting for a team that typically is near the bottom of the league.

I believe Kenni will only be a junior eligibility-wise this fall.

#26 Steve

Steve

THE

• Admin
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (cycs5187 @ Feb 8 2006, 06:13 AM)
As stated in an earlier post, SHG's Kenni Burns plays for Indiana, one of those "bottom" teams referred to earlier. He's one of SHG's all time greats and he has one season left at Indiana. Here's to hoping that Kenni's hard work will be rewarded this year and that he'll be named the starting running back and show everyone what he can do. It's an indicator of the quality of talent in the conference when a guy with Kenni's ability has to wait until his senior year to get a shot at starting for a team that typically is near the bottom of the league.

I believe Kenni will only be a junior eligibility-wise this fall.

Yes, Kenni is just a junior eligibility-wise.  He took a redshirt his freshman year.

#27 Dsqb17

Dsqb17

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:08 PM

Guys,

I just wanted to toss out a congrats to Alex...somewhere in all this Big Ten/Ron Zook talk people forgot what the post was all about. Way to bust your tail kid. If anyone noticed, Kyle Hudson was a walk-on last season from Mattoon and got a ton of PT and he can't even hold Reavy's Jock...Best of luck with the Illini man...

#28 ispaiu

ispaiu

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:21 PM

right-o. I think Reavy is gonna be way good. Big body, faster than a deer, runs great routes. I just hope they have somebody who can get the ball to him and that he stays healthy.
I offer absolutely zero educated insight

#29 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:26 PM

I remember Hudson from the 2003 State Semifinal game.
I wasn't overly impressed by him in that game.
The competition for playing time at WR figures to be a lot tougher the next couple of years given that Illinois has a bunch of talented wide receivers coming in.

Also CYCS5187 and Steve, thanks for setting me straight on Kenni's eligibility.
I had forgotton that he redshirted.

Edited by OSUBucks, 08 February 2006 - 01:27 PM.

#30 captain'00

captain'00

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (77GHSgrad @ Feb 7 2006, 08:18 PM)
Captain:

You claim only the Big 10 claims east coast bias? Sorry to disappoint you, but there are several schools and fan bases that will claim that. Have you ever listened to Dukie V? Mike Patrick?

I couldn't tell from you post if you were talking about ACC football or just basketball? I didn't realize the ACC had football.

If the Pac 10 is the best, how did USC lose to that weak team from the Big12 in the National Championship?

By the way, I've never told you or anyone they had to be for the Big 10. I just wanted to correct a couple of inaccurate statements.

A - i wasn't aware that "Dukie V" called football now.  not to mention, he's exactly that, "Dukie V".  He strokes his friends in the coaching ranks, i.e. coach k.

B - you might want to keep this about football seeing as how my tarheels beat your fighting illini.  stick to football on the football board.

C - i never said that the acc had a good football conference.  i simply stated that, as an acc fan & being unbiased toward the pac 10, i thought the pac 10 was the best college football conference from top to bottom.

D - i said the big 12 had quite a few bottom dwellers.  1 team (texas) doesn't make the whole conference great.  did they beat USC?  yup.  am i a USC fan?  nope.  did i say texas was weak?  don't think so.

i hope by breaking this into separate segments that it's easier for you to understand.  you claim that you were correcting some "inaccurate statements", but you might want to correct your ability to read and comprehend before you correct what other people say.  i made three main points in my post, "i HATE the big 10", "i think the pac 10 is the best top to bottom conference for football" & "the number of bottom dwellers in the big 10 is only comparable to the big 12".  hope that helps.  :goodjob:

#31 77GHSgrad

77GHSgrad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:02 PM

Dsbq: Kyle Hudson is a scholarship player. He was recruited by Ron Turner and the Zook staff honored the commitment. I agreed with you in an earlier post that I am very happy with Alex's decision. I also put a couple of names of successful receivers that are now in the NFL. Don't know if Alex will make it that far, but definitely something to shoot for.

Captain:

I'll type this slow because we still are not communicating very well.

In regards to A @ B, in your earlier post, you said but when it comes to sports, it's "east coast bias". That is where the comment of Dukie V came from. To me, there are more sports than football, I thought your comment of sports meant more than football. And since we are only talking about football, check the schedule because your tar heels didn't beat Illinois in football last year.

Regarding your comments about the Pac 10, I agree they have a strong conference, but the point I was trying to make was there are several conferences that have very poor teams in them. Heck, Illinois beat the 3rd place team in the Big East and I think top to bottom, that may be the weakest conference. I also hate USC, I was just trying to get a jab at your Big 12 comment. After watching V. Young against Ok St., I thought at that point they were a strong contender to beat SC

#32 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:32 PM

For the record, I am NOT a Notre Dame fan - that's Abruzzi.  Beyond that, I don't really feel like arguing about it.  

FWIW, my favorite team is SIUC, even thouigh most years that can be a painful allegiance.  The last few years have been nice, though.  I just hope someone doesn't come riding in to steal Jerry Kill.  I understand that some schools (incl. Illinois) don't really think he'd be a good recruiter, especially in the Chicago area, just because his "Aw, shucks" demeanor is too 'country'.  Same for schmoozing alumni.  Whatever.  I'm just glad he's at SIU.  

Redirecting this to Alex Reavy, the SJ-R and Channel 20 ran really nice features today on his decision to go to UIUC,  I guess KU also offered only 'preferred walk-on' status, making the UI decision more understandable.  Wherever he goes, I'm sure he'll acquit himself and SHG well.  Good stock tends to show through.

Edited by OldFan, 08 February 2006 - 08:35 PM.

Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#33 77GHSgrad

77GHSgrad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:01 PM

Old Fan:

I was shocked to see Channel 3 do a story on Alex as well. Most of the time during the playoff run, they don't bother to include SHG in their local teams. :doh!

I remeber Kill's name being mentioned for the Illinois job, but I don't remember why they didn't pursue it. It seems like recruiting may have been the reason, but it was his heavy emphasis on JC recruits.

Okay, if SIU is your favorite team, who is your favorite D-1 team, or do you have one?

Sorry about the ND mixup. It seems like if you are a SHG fan, the next step is ND.

#34 OldFan

OldFan

Forum V.I.P.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:34 PM

Actually, I believe SIUC IS a D1 team now (D1AA).  Could be wrong.

I guess if I'm cheering FOR any D1A team now, it'd be Northwestern since Eric Peterman is playing there.  Beyond that, my interest changes from year to year, usually for an underdog that's smiting their 'betters'.

Mostly, I just watch whoever's on if I have the time to sit and watch a game.

Hey, when you cheer for SHG, who NEEDS a college favorite?
Respect ALL  . . . Fear NONE

#35 77GHSgrad

77GHSgrad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:16 PM

I think SIU just played Eastern this past season in the 1 AA playoffs.

I agree about SHG! After the poor seasons my NFL and college teams had, it was great to have a winner.

FYI: The illiniboard.com football forum has an ongoing thread welcoming Alex to Illinois.

#36 gusdog

gusdog

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (OldFan @ Feb 9 2006, 03:34 AM)
Actually, I believe SIUC IS a D1 team now (D1AA).  Could be wrong.

You are correct sir.  D I-AA, but still D-I.

Most people think there is only one D-I, but in reality, there are two subsets within D-I: A and AA.

I knew how to cipher that using the set theory I learnt at GHS! :wink:

#37 gusdog

gusdog

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (77GHSgrad @ Feb 9 2006, 04:16 AM)
I think SIU just played Eastern this past season in the 1 AA playoffs.

I agree about SHG! After the poor seasons my NFL and college teams had, it was great to have a winner.

FYI: The illiniboard.com football forum has an ongoing thread welcoming Alex to Illinois.

Why yes, SIU defeated EIU in the D I-AA playoffs, then lost to eventual champion Appalachian State.

Nice of the IB folks to welcome Reavy.  Good to see them being cordial.

#38 Terp1

Terp1

Forum Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:39 AM

Does any one know Alex's time in the 40?  He clearly is a smart kid with size and skill,  but at that level things get a bit faster . . .

#39 Steve

Steve

THE

• Admin
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:44 AM

I'm pretty sure his official time this winter was 4.47 or something right around there.  That's fast...

#40 OSUBucks

OSUBucks

Elite Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:47 AM

If you combine his great hands, good routes, intelligence and 4.47 speed you've got a wide receiver that will be able to help a lot of college football teams. By Big 10 standards 4.47 isn't considered a speed burner for that position but it's good enough to seriously compete for a position and be successful, especially when combined with his other skills.
I personally think that Kansas erred in not offering a scolarship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users